The benelli folks love to hate

Vandy321

WKR
The Benelli 828U

Cannot for the life of me find one on the shelf to shoulder.

It's the OU that folks love to hate, I guess it bucks traditional builds and some folks just aren't receptive to that. The floating breech block us intriguing, as are the re-designed ejectors. The real selling point for me is the adjustability for drop and cast with shims (a la Beratta A400)

I bought an A400 extreme when folks were bashing that gun for all its new features as well, a handful of years later and it's arguably the best auto-loader waterfowl gun around.

Thoughts on the benelli and how it mounts/swings? The recoil reduction system seem to work as advertised? Sure would be nice to have a 6lb 12ga that recoils like a 20ga.

Overall thoughts on the gun from owners?

828U... I might sell a kidney to get one. I have shouldered it twice now at two different stores and if I wasn’t sure my wife would leave me if I came home with it... I would have it. I even tried to tell her I wanted to buy her a new shotgun... didn’t fly when she saw the price tag.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I showed my wife, asked her which one she likes better, she said the silver receiver...funny how when I told her it was $500 more, she changed her mind to the black one.

And just for the record... my go to gun is a SBE. If anyone that owns a benelli says they don’t like the 828U they have deeper issues than we should get into on rockslide. It’s not like it’s a Chevy...

Wheels

WKR
Have you got Scheel's where you live? They usually have a couple under glass for sale. I was in Walker MN this week and Reeds Sports had a few. Nice guns.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Have you got Scheel's where you live? They usually have a couple under glass for sale. I was in Walker MN this week and Reeds Sports had a few. Nice guns.
I do, but no such luck, nothing on the website as in stock anyways, I'll call to double check

CorbLand

WKR

Should be able to have one shipped to your nearest store

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR

Should be able to have one shipped to your nearest store
Buying one isn't the issue, just trying to mount one first and see how it swings before I put down that much $$ on the card. Sportsmans won't transfer it in until I pay for it.

Wheels

WKR
Not sure how far you are from Ogden UT or Salt Lake City, looks like Impact Guns has a few in stock. Says they are LH in 12 gauge, but should give you a feel for the gun and you can order what you want then.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks, won't be out that way until end of Aug. Think I'll just order from soortsmans and they say i can always decline it when it shows up if it's not my cup of tea

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Bought one in 26"...its 1" shorter than my SP1 was in 28", due to the longer action on the 828.

Overall, swings like a dream, recoil reduction system really tames down the ~6lb 12ga. And the shims for drop/cast appear to be the same that were on the Beretta A400s, which I loved.

Fits like a dream...and looks badass in black. If I had to do it over, I'd still spend the extra $500 over an SP1. Blasphemy, I know.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot a few of them on Demo days next too several other O/U. I.e Beretta, Browning, Ceasar. They point and swing super well. May just be magic beans but reading and listening to the reps the action design is very interesting and the first major divergence from the John Browning friction design. Seems like a solid gun if you need a field O/U. Defiantly not my favorite sporting gun but it wasn't designed for that. Problem w/ most Field O/U is the aluminum actions don't hold up to heavy shells and shooting a lot and its hard to build a field gun w/ a steel receiver under 7.5lbs

I almost bought one but really like the 28ga Ethos and decided I would use it more as I have field 12ga autos that suit my needs. The new Cordaba 28ga may find it's way into my safe one of these days.

Tex68w

WKR
I have shot one and it's definitely no slouch but after years of growing up on Bronwing SO's and now Beretta 68x guns I just can't get with it, it's just too "different" for me to get comfortable with. The other issue already mentioned is long term durability due to the alloy receiver. If you're only going to drag it out for upland a dozen hunts a year or less I think one could justify it.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I have shot one and it's definitely no slouch but after years of growing up on Bronwing SO's and now Beretta 68x guns I just can't get with it, it's just too "different" for me to get comfortable with. The other issue already mentioned is long term durability due to the alloy receiver. If you're only going to drag it out for upland a dozen hunts a year or less I think one could justify it.
Haven't seen a receiver fail in the 828u or the 828u Sport...6 years of hard shooting. The ejectors had some issues on the initial models back in 15. But that seems to have been addressed as well.

Not an expert or engineer by any means but I'd say that floating steel breach block is a pretty good design and has thus far proven to work as intended to prevent stress on the alloy...not traditional, for sure, but that's the whole point of the 828.

I'm a fan, much more so than my previous SP

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Do they make these in longer barrel lengths yet? I feel like when I looked at them the longest I could find was a 28”

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
26" and 28" I believe in the 828u...the field gun. But 30" in the 828u Sport (target gun)

OMB

WKR
I don’t have one, but have fondled one a few times at the local shop. I thought it felt very much like my super vinci in regards to the balance and mounting. I’m not a shotgun expert by any means but before I bought the super vinci a few years ago I picked up as many shotguns as I could and that one felt right immediately to me. Looks goofy as can be, like a camo space gun, but I use it for upland, waterfowl, and turkeys and without an issue. I just really like it. When I picked up the 828u it felt very similar to me, probably the first o/u that I really liked the feel of. They definitely aren’t like a browning or beretta which I really want to like but never feel right to me. Probably a good idea to get your hands on one first in my opinion.