THE BEST anniversary gift!

I am beyond blessed to have a wife who enjoys hunting with me. After taking a beautiful whitetail for her first deer last year, she decided to take up bowhunting. She practiced a ton and even drove out to the practice range by herself when I couldn't make it with her. Her archery season has been tough, after I took a doe on our first sit together she had a dry spell of about 8 hunts in a row without seeing a single deer. Her luck changed on our 5th anniversary Saturday! After an uneventful morning hunt, we were situated in a tree overlooking CRP where I expected does to be bedded. At this point muzzleloader season is in full swing but she wanted to stick with her bow even though she knew the odds were against her. Right about sunset about a dozen does materialized out of the tall grass. Light was fading and they were out of range for her. I grunted at them softly a few times and they started working their way towards us, but ended up getting our wind. I decided not to shoot one with the muzzleloader and just enjoy the beautiful evening. With only minutes left in legal shooting light, we heard a deer approaching from behind. Out of the woods stepped a beautiful 8 point who was clearly on a mission! As luck would have it he came on a beeline right under our tree. She drew as he passed under us. He sniffed the ground, probably trying to pick up the scent of the intruder who had been grunting near his harem of does. I could see she was pretty shaken up so I whispered "you have plenty of time". I could see her relax, anchor, and settle in. The buck slowly turned to the left and began walking down a mowed path, broadside, just 8 yards in front of us. I gave a soft grunt and he froze. THWAP went the arrow right through his chest! He took off on a dead sprint out into the CRP. It sounded like a good hit, and when he crashed only 75 yards from the shot I knew she had made good on all the practice. She climbed down and I helped direct her into the spot I saw him tumble. It was a huge celebration. She was thrilled and my emotions were through the roof. It honestly felt better seeing her kill this buck than any other deer I have shot. It was a pretty long pack out in the dark from the public ground which made the experience even more memorable. We spent the rest of our anniversary weekend relaxing in a nearby air bnb, soaking up the once in a lifetime memories. The whole experience was beyond my wildest dreams. I am one lucky guy!blairs buck.JPG

IMG_3462.JPGIMG_3467.JPGIMG_3464.JPG

Awesome story and beautiful buck!!! Congratulations. This will be one of those hunts impossible to forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Way cool. She’s the one with the infectious smile who placed in our photo contest last year, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR Lewis

FNG
Ummm... am I the only one here that will own up to being a little jealous?!?!

Fantastic memory, fantastic choices - you are blessed!

rbljack

WKR
my wife and I celebrated our anniversary today (31 years married). We also have a Anniversary buck from a handful of yrs back. Congrats to you both...great stuff.

NME

FNG
What a great story and awesome buck! That is amazing and something neither of you will ever forget. Congrats to prep, time, and memories together!