The best bugle tube?

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that compare bugle tubes in a blind test that you can only hear the tubes and then there is another video with the voting results. This test was done in both 2017 and 2018. Just search for Bugle Grunt Tube Test 2017 or 2018 Elk Calling Grunt Tube Challenge. Both videos will let you hear several different tubes out in the woods so you can choose the one that sounds best to you.

It’s all preference. Not everything will work for everyone. The perfect combo for ME, has been the Phelps Unleashed Bugle Tube and his AMP Diaphragm calls. They offer a range of versatility that I have found to be exactly what I’ve ever wanted when it comes to talking to elk. Does it really get any better talking to bugling bulls? Absolutely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
LOL! You are so right sir! Even when elk are at a leisurely pace it's super tough to keep up with them! Sounds like you are handling in a smart way, good luck to you!

p.s. When I was at the World Elk Calling Championship last year I was fortunate to hear a variety of Bugle Tones from the top callers around, some bugles were better than others. The top two in my opinion was Phelps big bugle & Bugling Bulls bugle. I would have to say after hearing them repeatedly that the Phelps bugle edged out the Bugling Bull bugle no matter who was using what. The Phelps bugle had deeper tone & all around the best sound tones & resonance. Just food for thought!

ElkNut/Paul

Are you referring to the Phelps “Unleashed” and the Rocky Mountain Bully Bull Extreme? I wasn’t quite sure which exact one you were talking about when I started looking for the specific one you were talking about. Thanks again.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yes, I believe so. Here's the link. https://phelpsgamecalls.com/products/elk/unleashed-elk-bugle-tube/

It does have a quality tone, the rest is up to you! (grin)

You bet you can call & talk to elk with just about any bugle out there today but there are a handful that will out perform others, the Phelps Bugle will be hard to beat!

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks. I practice my calling quite a bit. You are right that just about anything will work, but if there is one that is just a little bit better, I’ll use it!

"Wiffle bat from Walgreens, $2.99"

This...cut a camo sleeve off an old shirt and hot glued it to the outside. Camo duct tape around the rough edges on the ends. Flo orange cord. Works great with great sound!

chindits

WKR
The best bugle tube is the one the hunter buys into. The elk seem to be categorically indifferent to whether I use a new tube, an old 90s corrugated tube or a map rolled up into a cone when you are in a pinch. YMMV

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The best bugle tube is the one the hunter buys into. The elk seem to be categorically indifferent to whether I use a new tube, an old 90s corrugated tube or a map rolled up into a cone when you are in a pinch. YMMV

Over the last 9 archery seasons I've tried five different tubes, some of them at the same time. So well over 100 days in the field trying these tubes in all situations. I've let the elk determine the results over all those experiences. Personally, I can't tell much of a difference between any of the ones I've used doing the same type of calls with all of them. But for whatever reason, the elk flat out respond to one of those tubes over all the others, and that's my original Elknut Chuckler. It's also the only tube that has been successful in calling cows away from the herd bull........many times over those years. Yet not a single one of the other tubes has done that using the same calling.

I even tried a custom Chuckler that I had Paul make for me, and his newer design as well.......and the bulls just don't respond as well to them as the original for me. I did inadvertently change my original up and had no idea I was changing the sound of it, but it flat out works.

I have not tried Phelps big bugle tube yet, but probably will.......just because I like trying stuff. I even made my own out of a whiffle bat, but haven't hunted with it yet.