The best state to live in for hunting

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone,

Well I finally just graduated college in civil engineering from University of Nevada, Reno. I’m from Nevada and I’ve hunted mule deer since I was 16 and the last 3 years I’ve enjoyed bowhuting mule deer. This year I began putting in points for 7 states and really want to spend my time hunting more. I’ll be moving to Oregon to live with my parents and save up some cash for a while, but I’m wondering what everyone’s input on the best state to bow hunt would be? Aside from Alaska. Or does it not even necessarily matter and just be a non res hunter willing to travel. I’m just curious and I’m sure I’m not the only one who has thought about this, and couldn’t find any other information online.

EastMT

WKR
Well obviously AK tops the list. I guess it depends if you are talking opportunity or trophy hunts. I’d rather hunt every year than hunt a trophy every few years.

1-AK
2/3-MT/ID
4-WY
5-Tie between most western states.

The limiting factor to me is going to be your cost of living obviously. I always figure if the housing is cheap enough I can hunt anywhere in the nation. If I’m paying half my salary for a house payment my options are going to be more local.

The feds are about to move me from AK to probably TN, after crying and whining, I’ve resolved myself to the fact that instead of $2000+ in housing cost, I can buy a pretty good house for $5-700 per month down there. That frees up $15000 per year compared to here, so I can afford to be one of the out of state hunters robbing all the game from Alaska and Montana every year plus use up some of the bonus points I’ve been accumulating but too busy up north to burn them.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

My preference would be: 1-AK, 2-WY, 3-Tie between ID and MT 4- Probably CO for opportunity but they sure like to cater to NR's which dilutes the benefit of being a resident. 5-AZ

My bias lies with elk hunting.

OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
Well obviously AK tops the list. I guess it depends if you are talking opportunity or trophy hunts. I’d rather hunt every year than hunt a trophy every few years.

1-AK
2/3-MT/ID
4-WY

The limiting factor to me is going to be your cost of living obviously. I always figure if the housing is cheap enough I can hunt anywhere in the nation. If I’m paying half my salary for a house payment my options are going to be more local.

The feds are about to move me from AK to probably TN, after crying and whining, I’ve resolved myself to the fact that instead of $2000+ in housing cost, I can buy a pretty good house for $5-700 per month down there. That frees up $15000 per year compared to here, so I can afford to be one of the out of state hunters robbing all the game from Alaska and Montana every year plus use up some of the bonus points I’ve been accumulating but too busy up north to burn them.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.
I think that’s definitely a smart way to think about it, either live somewhere with great hunting opportunities or make sure your cost of living is low enough to go and do those hunts. Thanks

vanish

WKR

1-AK
2/3-MT/ID
4-WY

I feel like WY is above MT/ID for a resident. More than enough yearly opportunity there. Just got to get over that wind.

fire652

WKR
Well I’m hoping Montana. We will see what happens after I move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of subjective

I’d put Alaska at one unless Elk was my thing, if elk was, then overall WY,

Texas if it was hunting 365 days a year and variety

KS for Whitetails but STX is a close second with up to 4.5-5 month season.

Mule deer be CO for reasonable consistency/quality,

Elk would be Idaho OTC and two bull tag options.

Great Kid tag opportunity probably be NM

Russp17

WKR
Well my list for hunting would go:
1.) Alaska
2.) Wyoming
3.) Either Montana or Idaho
5.) Colorado

OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like WY is above MT/ID for a resident. More than enough yearly opportunity there. Just got to get over that wind.
What’s the benefits of Wyoming exactly for residents over non residents?