The best state to live in for hunting

Gobbler36

WKR
What’s the benefits of Wyoming exactly for residents over non residents?
As mentioned above and they don’t have general hunts for NR hunters per se they have to draw general tags and they can’t hunt in wilderness wo a guide so as a resident you have a lot more access to more remote country

blackdawg

WKR
My "able-bodied days" are decades behind me. Heck, I took my first hunt when I was 49...ten years ago. Yeah...I pound a computer in suburbia but I wouldn't call it hell. I live at the beach, am two hours from mountain lakes and streams (or hunting & skiing), the desert, and one hour to big cities (LA & San Diego) or Mexico (not that I go there anymore) or an offshore island. So Cal isn't so bad except for the libtards ruining the state politically. Can't beat the weather or the opportunity to play outdoors.

Having the bucks to hunt places like Canada, Africa, or any other darn place is nice. Beats being broke and only having your backyard hunting grounds to stomp. Chasing different species in new places is the best. If you haven't experienced destination hunting then you cannot understand what you're missing. It'd be like trying to explain sex to a virgin. There's nothing wrong with hunting your backyard but doing the same thing all the time and seeing the same country over and over gets old. Watching the Northern Lights while you barbecue dinner just after dark at 10:30pm is something else altogether.

Here you go,, the bruce nailed it, other than the location,,the answer is correct., make the coin,,but do it in Alaska,,, your gonna starve to death in most Western stares if you don’t have the job when you get there, I doubled my salary moving from Wyoming to Alaska,,I would go back to lower 48 and feel rich!More adventures than a lifetime up there, fly to Hawaii for some weather relief and get those once in a lifetime hunts done without paying a guide 20-30k to hunt each species. If you don’t make the money you can still do the hunts . Return to the lower 48 to live out a boring existence as you age if your too soft and addicted to hot women like most young fellas. That’s what I did .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
I would say Nevada is pretty dang good
If your dead set on moving
AK or Wyoming seem to be the only places not being inundated with Californians, or granolas from elsewhere wanting to “live in the outdoors”
Yeah, I might ultimately end up being back in Nevada, just weighing my options. It's a great state for hunting with several others close by. Reno is being highly overrun by Californians and the cost of living is starting to outweigh the pay even with a good career with all of the tech companies moving in with tax cuts, I couldn't live in Vegas, and I probably couldn't convince my girlfriend to move to one of the podunk towns, so we will see.

HookUp

WKR
I see whats the "best unit" threads weekly, maybe this thread will point these people in the right direction!

EastMT

WKR
Return to the lower 48 to live out a boring existence as you age if your too soft and addicted to hot women like most young fellas. That’s what I did .

True words.

You know what you tell your Alaskan woman when you wake up? Comb your hair and brush your tooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

16Bore

WKR
Virginia....

Whitetails from October to January.
Urban archery tags.
Nobody buys a “whitetail one day” rifle.
Nobody is in a hurry to come here to hunt.
Nobody ventures far from their truck.
Only about 5 backpack hunters in the whole state.
We know how to make sweet tea.

Tagging along. Been considering moving out west from Ohio. Won't be for another 2 years but ready for a change of scenery.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Alaska, hands down... But I've seen how overwhelming it can be for some, especially those new to hunting a wide variety of species and planning out hunts that take more logistics than a vehicle/trailhead, etc.

I heard the fishing up here is pretty good too.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I would move to wyoming. If a guy could get a good paying job there...you'd be living in a hunters paradise

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Alaska for sure...I moved here from Colorado over thirty years ago. I'm an extremely active hunter, fly fisherman, pack-rafter, and snow machiner. All together I take at least a month off every year, and I'm in the field. My kids grew-up eating moose meat and hunting with me...and still do. I've been all over the state, and there is still so much that I haven't seen...it would take two life-times.

...if I were forced to move, I'd probably look at Wyoming.

Okhotnik

WKR
Virginia....

Whitetails from October to January.
Urban archery tags.
Nobody buys a “whitetail one day” rifle.
Nobody is in a hurry to come here to hunt.
Nobody ventures far from their truck.
Only about 5 backpack hunters in the whole state.
We know how to make sweet tea.

I just spent the past year working in DC and living in N VA. No thanks

you forgot ticks oh did I mention a lot of ticks

I did see a a decent 11 point wt bedded down hat would score at least 150 in a small urban 10 acre park about 400 yds from a shopping mall. I sat and watched him for about an hour less than 30 yards away while people walked past him.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Alaska is good, I can’t believe what people pay to go hunt moose, I can hunt them about 30 minutes from my house and all I need to pay for is a hunting license.

Sheep hunting too, I don’t even get all worked up over sheep season because it’s not a once in a. Lifetime thing that cost me 25k. I can just grab my gear and hike in if I want.