The Best Years of My Life

EdP

WKR
I'm jealous of you guys, I still have another 6 years to go before retiring. Living in liberal California, I'm afraid the Democrats will make hunting illegal by the time I retire.

Time to start planning your exit.

Simon1523

FNG
I believe the next ten years will be the best 10 years of my life (65 to 75).
When I was young, money was a constraint.
When I was mid-age, time was a constraint.
Now that I'm retired, money, time, and fitness are not major constraints.

It is so nice to hunt and not see anyone because I restricted my hunting this year to weekdays
or remote hunts for 2 weeks away from the crowd and no need to rush back to work.

It is so nice that I have the time needed for twice weekly long endurance hikes and don't have
to start in the predawn darkness like I did when I was working.

My sheep hunting mentor killed his last ram at age 70 and hunted to late 70s.
I hope with a little luck 65-75 will be my best hunting years.
View attachment 383900
Good luck in all future endeavors!

I'm 66, retired 6 years, and still going strong.

Okay, that's a bit of a stretch. As a construction electrician, after bouncing up and down 8 and 10 foot ladders everyday for 40 years, my knees are not what they once were. And my ankles both have some arthritis from old HS sports injuries.

But hey, I now have the time and the means to hunt when, where and as often, as I can. Alright, so I no longer carry more than 60# loads, or so, on pack outs, even if it means an extra trip or two. And coming down off a steep ridge can be a special kind of misery, even without meat. But a few Advil and a cold beer, and I'll be ready to go again in the morning.

It's a rare and lucky man who is fortunate enough to enjoy the time, the means and, especially, the health to allow him to hunt well into his golden years. I'll take 2 out of 3 and be quite grateful.

My dad hunted till he passed at the age of 78 and my grandpa at 86. If I can maintain this for another 10-15 years, I'll have no complaints.

Last edited:

Bighorns

FNG
I believe the next ten years will be the best 10 years of my life (65 to 75).
When I was young, money was a constraint.
When I was mid-age, time was a constraint.
Now that I'm retired, money, time, and fitness are not major constraints.

It is so nice to hunt and not see anyone because I restricted my hunting this year to weekdays
or remote hunts for 2 weeks away from the crowd and no need to rush back to work.

It is so nice that I have the time needed for twice weekly long endurance hikes and don't have
to start in the predawn darkness like I did when I was working.

My sheep hunting mentor killed his last ram at age 70 and hunted to late 70s.
I hope with a little luck 65-75 will be my best hunting years.
View attachment 383900
I turn 65 in a few weeks. I hope to elk hunt for another 10 years and just bird hunt and shoot an occasion deer off my place here in Wyoming after that. One problem that I've run into in retirement is that a lot of retirees don't want to put in the effort (or can't ) to elk hunt or pack into the backcountry. And the younger guys I hunt with some still have to work. So, unless I go it alone, retirement is not quite as good as I had hoped. And my wife doesn't like it when I head off into the mountains with my horses alone.

I turn 65 in a few weeks. I hope to elk hunt for another 10 years and just bird hunt and shoot an occasion deer off my place here in Wyoming after that. One problem that I've run into in retirement is that a lot of retirees don't want to put in the effort (or can't ) to elk hunt or pack into the backcountry. And the younger guys I hunt with some still have to work. So, unless I go it alone, retirement is not quite as good as I had hoped. And my wife doesn't like it when I head off into the mountains with my horses alone.
I'd offer to help put your wife's mind at ease, but with 3 points, I won't be hunting elk in Wy again, anytime soon.😉

OP
AK_Skeeter
I hunt alone 99 percent of the time. Always take an InReach with me. Even when I hunt with others, they may be gone for weekday work and back at camp on weekends. Weekday hunts it is amazing how the competition disappears, at least where I hunt in Alaska.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm 90% of the time solo hunting as well; ditto on carrying the inReach (not just hunting but year round when I'm in the backcountry).

If you're hunting with stock though I can see a distinct advantage on having an extra hand or two.

Kyle Avey

WKR
I just want to say thank you to all of you that have shared your years of earned wisdom and knowledge! I’m only 36 but really enjoy following this forum and will continue to do so. 👍

OP
AK_Skeeter
One of the many nice things about living in Alaska is a free hunting/fishing/trapping license for
residents age 60 and older. Plus most tags are free: moose, caribou, sheep, bear, deer, etc.
At age 65 there is a waiver on the first $150k of property assessed from property taxes.

Looking for two hunting patners, I am 66 and my hunting partner is 66 former Marines both retired law enforcement, in relative good shape, we hunt Wyoming about every other year for antelope and mule deer and talked about elk hunting, the area we hunt is at the eastern SIDE of the big horn mountains near buffalo.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issue. I have met some guys on here that I can go with but most are not close by. I don't like going alone for safety reasons and I like the company. I have taught a lot of young guys and usually can plan a trip or two or three with them.

'Old' is a state of mind....someplace you go to find reasons and excuses for not acting youthful and enthusiastic anymore. I always say, "The best year of my life is the one I'm currently living in". I can't equate a number of years lived with how I should think, feel or live today. I like to think I use every past day, month and year to become better as a person and better at appreciating the things and opportunities I enjoy.

I just recently sold my business but (despite what my friends think) I'm not going into retirement. I'm going to work because I believe in its value to me, and I enjoy the feeling of helping others. I own 135 acres and it's a working farm. My wife and I love working hard and getting dirty in the name of improvement. I obviously hunt and fish but it's not a full-time all-consuming thing. We travel some. She collects wine when we go on various trips to places. We own and ride a full-on custom Harley and are hardcore serious about putting down miles all summer.

Personally I think we should hit 60 and begin counting birthdays backward after that. At 80 years of life I'd like to have a 40 year old attitude and similar energy. I don't want to run over any of you, so keep an eye on your rearview mirror.

VernAK

WKR
I hit 80 a few weeks ago and I've begun packing for my fall moose hunt as I'm a bit forgetful. Even though I've been doing this since 1969, there's something new or changing every year.

My nephew has lived all over the world but never had a chance to hunt so he hopes to shoot a big bull this year. If the young fellas shoot one too far from the airstrip, I pretend to be even more deaf than I am. If they shoot one close to the airstrip, I tell em I've gone union and it's coffee break time.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time!

JM57

FNG
Retired a little over a year ago. Best decision I ever made. Shot my biggest Blacktail last season and Muleys on the agenda this year. And of course salmon and steelhead fishing all the time.

I'll either die at the desk or die in the mountains. Worked all my life making other people rich. I have always been that pack mule carrying the load. Mr. Dependable. ICODE]Lots of broken promises.[/ICODE] I never see myself retiring, ever. Not unless I win the lotto. Best years of my life is when I had nothing, not even a pot to piss in but I had three little babies that thought Daddy hung the moon and they would all come running to see me every day after a hard days work. Nothing but pure love. Playing with my kids and watching them grow.
My 10 day hunt in the mountains is my annual recharge. After Elk hunting I am no longer interested in whitetails. I stay fit as I can but I generally work five 10 hour + days. But I sure love elk hunting. Probably just love being in the mountains more than anything else in the world. Killing an elk is just a bonus. Born about 110 years too late. Walking through the mountains after an overnight 6" snow is like a magic wonderland. Sitting on a mountain side with the Aspen shaking and the wind whistling through the Pines is music to my ears. If I ever do retire, I will never have a cell phone again. No pager, no phone. I want to drop right off the map and become a ghost. No more solving everyone else's problems.

frogman43

FNG
I have made the first few steps on this journey to retirement. Last week I drove up to Wyoming after work on a Friday night after a house listing went on the market Thursday. Met with the realtor, looked the house over, needs work so made an appropriate offer and the owners accepted it!

Plan is simple really, over the coming year repair/remodel the house to serve as a basecamp for all of my upcoming adventures in the West. Plan on retiring June of 23, and eventually become a resident of Wyoming, but will use up my NR points in Deer, Elk, and Antelope first.

Have a 26' Toy hauler that carries my Yamaha Grizzly that will be my forward operating base, and after hunting season when the snow gets deep, and it's too cold for my 63-year-old bones, I'll travel South for the Winter.....at least that's the plan! LOL