The "Big" Cooler Showdown, by Travis Bertrand

Gar

FNG
I know these coolers are very expensive, and if you have access to ice, probably no big deal going with a cheaper brand. But if you do not have access to ice for several days, having a cooler that can keep game and or your food cool may be worth the added expense. Thanks for the review. I wonder if pre-cooling the chest would make one retain ice longer than another?

Gar

I don't know the price of these big fancier coolers, so am just throwing this out there, but would it be cheaper to buy a used (but good) chest freezer and take a generator and gas? Only have to kick the generator on a few hrs a day to help keep your frozen ice jugs froze, meat cold, or a little longer if you want everything froze.

Roy68

WKR
I have the 155qt Esky (by Coleman). 2 months of solid use now for our excess home raised produce storage and transportation to point of sale. It will be headed with me and 3 others on a fishing trip next month. So far I'm impressed with it.

There is a 20% off purchase deal right now through August 27th. ESKY20
http://www.eskyseriescoolers.com/Home

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
Got my latest issue of Overland Journal a little while ago and they did a cooler test as well. Pitted the 35-40 class coolers from some of the same crew and some different options - Canyon outfitter 35, Engel DeepBlue 35, Grizzly 40, Igloo Sportsman 40, Pelican Elite 35, Yeti Tundra 45. They also had a Coleman Xtreme 50 and Igloo MaxCold 50 for comparison.

The bargain coolers did about as we all would expect - not quite as good but pretty damn fine. The biggest issue the reviewers had was durability in comparison to the rotomolded options.

I won't re-publish the entire test here b/c it's not my content, but will share some data relevant to the bargain coolers for comparison against the above test.

Interior temp at start was 95 deg for both coolers, not pre-cooled like in this test.

Temps for Coleman:
24 hrs: 42 deg
48 hrs: 40 deg
72 hrs: 47 deg
96 hrs: 48 deg

Temps for Igloo:
24 hrs: 42 deg
48 hrs: 40 deg
72 hrs: 47 deg
96 hrs: 48 deg

Temps for Yeti for comparison as it was the editors choice:
24 hrs: 44 deg
48 hrs: 37 deg
72 hrs: 46 deg
96 hrs: 44 deg
120 hrs: 44 deg
138 hrs: 49 deg

Note that on all coolers for 48 hr measurement probe was at bottom. All other measurements probe was 1" above water level.