The Bigfoot thread.....

Beendare

WKR
How about a database and commentary thread for us guys with big feet?

Size 14 here...or al least I used to fit in most 14's....I think my foot has stretched out a little. I just ordered a couple sets of Crispis- and both 14's were too small.

Dang those Crispi's were some fantastic looking boots too- well built without being too heavy. I sent them a note begging them to make 49, 50's...maybe a email campaign will get them making these in larger sizes?

I'm thinking its worth a thread listing boots for us guys with big feet.

Scarpa makes some models up to 49,50 but not all;
Kalish, Charmoz, Kinesis pro- they make those in a 49,50- the Kinesis are a tad heavier, I just picked up the Kalish and they seem good. They make more models that are stiff and heavy.

Lowa- the Renengade and Tibet [multiple versions] come in sizes up to 16...and some in wide. I haven't tried the Renegades in awhile- good light boot if they work for you...the Tibets are starting to get a little heavy for my taste.

Kennetrek makes their Hardscrabble up to 16 medium, wide to 13. They have other versions that are heavier

Asolo makes their TPS 520 up to 16...and some in wide. I have these in 14 wide- probably didn't need the wide as they loosened up. They re a little bit heavier than I prefer...but they have been good boots. IME these run a little bigger than others.

I'm missing a bunch I'm sure....and please, add you take on fit, quality, etc......

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Meant to say; I like uninsulated boots and use a thick wool sock.

I think those perform every bit as good as insulated boots unless you are plowing through snow non stop...plus it gives you the option to go lighter in warm weather.

_____

FLAK

WKR
I'm a 14W, mostly. Some wides I cant even get the shoe on. And some are
just too wide. Found my sweet spot with a Keen Targhee 3 Hiker.

I'm a 14 W also. I wear Salomon XA Pro daily but I am approaching the end of the shoe and fear I am looking at 15's soon. My best boot to date has been the Schnees Beartooth Mid in 14W, I also really like Salomon Quest 4D when its going to be dry out, others that do ok for me are Cabelas Meindl Denali in 13D (fit about like a small 14), Cabelas Meindl Ultralight in 13W. I've tried a ton of boots on and find most just don't work for my feet. Lowas are a no go (either too much volume or big pressure point on my heel), I've looked hard at the Scarpa Charmoz pro in 48 a few times, Zamberlan either doesn't make a 14 or I have just never found one, Salewa Mountain Trainer I really liked but the cable around the heel didn't work for me, Asolo is just a bit narrow but I've tried the fugitive and drifter many times, Crispi Nevada's prior to Black Ovis being the distributor and I'm pretty sure the boots got an overhaul from the previous distributor. I pretty much try on any 14 in a decent looking boot I can find. Schnees has some 15's and will likely be where I look next along with Hoffmans. Tried on Kenetreks many times quite some time ago and hated them instantly (heel of boot is kind of flat and broad like danner and my heel is narrow and pointy), but I'm due to give them another shot with what I know now about boot fit and I'm not scared of my heel moving now like I used to be. I'm currently in search of a lighter weight early season boot like the Salomon Quest 4D, had high hopes for the Schnees Timberline but the toe box had a strange amount of volume and folded over my toes and rubbed the top of my foot. Maybe the Schnees Kestrel will be what I am looking for.

I'm a 14 W also. I wear Salomon XA Pro daily but I am approaching the end of the shoe and fear I am looking at 15's soon. My best boot to date has been the Schnees Beartooth Mid in 14W, I also really like Salomon Quest 4D when its going to be dry out, others that do ok for me are Cabelas Meindl Denali in 13D (fit about like a small 14), Cabelas Meindl Ultralight in 13W. I've tried a ton of boots on and find most just don't work for my feet. Lowas are a no go (either too much volume or big pressure point on my heel), I've looked hard at the Scarpa Charmoz pro in 48 a few times, Zamberlan either doesn't make a 14 or I have just never found one, Salewa Mountain Trainer I really liked but the cable around the heel didn't work for me, Asolo is just a bit narrow but I've tried the fugitive and drifter many times, Crispi Nevada's prior to Black Ovis being the distributor and I'm pretty sure the boots got an overhaul from the previous distributor. I pretty much try on any 14 in a decent looking boot I can find. Schnees has some 15's and will likely be where I look next along with Hoffmans. Tried on Kenetreks many times quite some time ago and hated them instantly (heel of boot is kind of flat and broad like danner and my heel is narrow and pointy), but I'm due to give them another shot with what I know now about boot fit and I'm not scared of my heel moving now like I used to be. I'm currently in search of a lighter weight early season boot like the Salomon Quest 4D, had high hopes for the Schnees Timberline but the toe box had a strange amount of volume and folded over my toes and rubbed the top of my foot. Maybe the Schnees Kestrel will be what I am looking for.

Very surprised that you say the cabelas Denali in 13d fit like a small 14. I have a measured 12ee foot. In hunting boots I had to size up to the Denali in a 13 wide. It is the best fitting high end boot for me so far after trying Lowa Camino’s in 12wide. Felt great for a month then as they broke in put unbelievably painful pressure on the top of my foot. I was able to wear for a year the Salomon Quest 4D for a year in 13 regular but they were tight and never felt great. I believe if they offered it in a wide size it would have been great because the regular was close. Then I got to try the Denali’s and they have been the best so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
I can still fit in the Solomon 4d...barely, as long as I don't wear thick socks.

I bought a couple pairs of Crispi's- the Black Ovis branded one and the Thor. These are light for the support and boot you get...which is what I want. Those heavy leather lined boots wear me out. The Crispi's are great looking boots that are just a tad stiffer than the Solomons....but about 1/2" shorter in a 14. Bums me out I have to send them back....those Crispi's are nice.

You can tell the Crispi's are better quality over the Solomons

My toes are right in the end. I'm wearing a pair of 14 Keen low hikers and they fit with med socks but not with thick socks.

I did a few miles in the hills in a size 15 Scarpa Kalish yesterday. I would classify them as a stiff day hiker. Perfect amount of flex in the sole IMO, pretty light. My only complaint is they are missing the one key eyelet on any boot; the one at your ankle that locks your foot in the heel cup. The 15 might even be too long for me...but it might be that I just need to get used to them.

_______

I can still fit in the Solomon 4d...barely, as long as I don't wear thick socks.

I bought a couple pairs of Crispi's- the Black Ovis branded one and the Thor. These are light for the support and boot you get...which is what I want. Those heavy leather lined boots wear me out. The Crispi's are great looking boots that are just a tad stiffer than the Solomons....but about 1/2" shorter in a 14. Bums me out I have to send them back....those Crispi's are nice.

You can tell the Crispi's are better quality over the Solomons

My toes are right in the end. I'm wearing a pair of 14 Keen low hikers and they fit with med socks but not with thick socks.

I did a few miles in the hills in a size 15 Scarpa Kalish yesterday. I would classify them as a stiff day hiker. Perfect amount of flex in the sole IMO, pretty light. My only complaint is they are missing the one key eyelet on any boot; the one at your ankle that locks your foot in the heel cup. The 15 might even be too long for me...but it might be that I just need to get used to them.

_______

sounds like our feet are about the same size based on the salomon. I’ve been eyeing the Crispi summit or Colorado but if they run small that’s not going to work.

Marble

WKR
How about a database and commentary thread for us guys with big feet?

Size 14 here...or al least I used to fit in most 14's....I think my foot has stretched out a little. I just ordered a couple sets of Crispis- and both 14's were too small.

Dang those Crispi's were some fantastic looking boots too- well built without being too heavy. I sent them a note begging them to make 49, 50's...maybe a email campaign will get them making these in larger sizes?

I'm thinking its worth a thread listing boots for us guys with big feet.

Scarpa makes some models up to 49,50 but not all;
Kalish, Charmoz, Kinesis pro- they make those in a 49,50- the Kinesis are a tad heavier, I just picked up the Kalish and they seem good. They make more models that are stiff and heavy.

Lowa- the Renengade and Tibet [multiple versions] come in sizes up to 16...and some in wide. I haven't tried the Renegades in awhile- good light boot if they work for you...the Tibets are starting to get a little heavy for my taste.

Kennetrek makes their Hardscrabble up to 16 medium, wide to 13. They have other versions that are heavier

Asolo makes their TPS 520 up to 16...and some in wide. I have these in 14 wide- probably didn't need the wide as they loosened up. They re a little bit heavier than I prefer...but they have been good boots. IME these run a little bigger than others.

I'm missing a bunch I'm sure....and please, add you take on fit, quality, etc......
Same size and experience.

Lowa hunter gtx 14s feel too narrow, but when I have the proper sock and actually learned how tight to cinch, they worked great.

Danners run true to size and work well but are not designed for heavy loads. Lowas, with the synergy foot bed left zero foot issues. I put probably 25 miles on them loaded this year. Two heavy pack outs.

Wish they were slightly warmer.

Marble

WKR
The Crispees were too small in a 14. I never wear a 13 and only get into 15s with Nike shoes.

I do like my Lowas. But thru are not the most comfortable boot.

My favorite boot was the under armor something. A legit waterproof insulated boot. Work great.

Problem, after one season, they go on the shelf and both shrank. UA warrunteed the first pair and not the second. I dont buy them anymore.

These danners and the Lowas, and a couple pair of cabelas boots have lasted beyond a season. Otherwise the boots fall apart.

BluMtn

WKR
On a similar note, I was in Bozeman Murdoch's last spring and while walking around looking found a display of Muck boots. Sitting on top of the display was the largest Muck boot I have ever seen. Pulled it down and it had a sale tag on it for $29. It was a size 19. Now I wear a size 13 or 14 depending on shoe and with my Hanwag Alaskans on I put my foot inside that boot. So if anybody is looking for a pair of Arctic insulation Muck boot in 19 there is a pair in Bozeman.

Marble

WKR
Have you tried the Lowa Tibets? [listed as being on the heavy side, close to 2# per boot]
Those come in wide up to 14 [I think] and up to size 16

Anyone order directly from Scarpa?

>>
No I haven't. I dont even look at the weight of boots anymore. I used to worry about it but they are always 4 to 5 pounds per pair.

I'm more concerned with the function of warmth, dryness and going all day long with a big pack for weeks.

With the smartwool socks they fit great, were warmer and were easier to get just right when lacing. Those locking laces are awesome but there is a learning curve.

Marble

WKR
I ordered from lathrop and sons and got the expensive insole ground to fit. Well worth it.

I wore 12 narrow most of my hunting life....now at age 63 I'm up to a size 14 regular width.
My dad was 13 most of his life, but up to size 15 when he was in his 90s.

Just got a pair of Crispy Thor size 14 and they fit perfect for me.

On a similar note, I was in Bozeman Murdoch's last spring and while walking around looking found a display of Muck boots. Sitting on top of the display was the largest Muck boot I have ever seen. Pulled it down and it had a sale tag on it for $29. It was a size 19. Now I wear a size 13 or 14 depending on shoe and with my Hanwag Alaskans on I put my foot inside that boot. So if anybody is looking for a pair of Arctic insulation Muck boot in 19 there is a pair in Bozeman.
I like huge arctic sport insulated muck boots for moose hunting....its a ten day hunt for me so I wear neoprene stocking feet hip boots inside the muck boots. Each night I turn the neoprene inside out and they dry in the sleeping bag. That way I have warm dry feet for 10 days.

Barnhill06

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at hanwag. I am looking at a set of Tatra top wide. Go up to 14 wide. Danners r about the only thing that seem to fit me great and I order them in a 14w. Told to order hiking boots for heavy loads 1/2 size bigger so curious if they will be long enough so not jamming toes in the front.

Extrapale

WKR
My measued shoe size is 14.5. The best fit I have found is Kenetrek Hardscrabble 15 N and Lowa Renegade 15 N. My foot is not really narrow but it is low volume.

I have owned all the boots below. I wore all of them at least a season. None were returned but many were given away to my dad and brother who have smaller feet than me. Some.of the bigger boots I use for work or around the house after I gave up on them as hunting boots.

I have also had Kenetrek HS and Mountain extreme is 14 regular. They never quite fit right.

Lowa Renegade low cut in 15N. Not enough ankle support for the hard sole they have.

Lowa Tibet 15 GTX. A little too roomy for my low volume foot.

Asolo 520 size 15. I think this would be a great boot if it has a full rubber rand. The leather with the hard sole does not provide enough support when side hilling.

Some Vasque Breeze hikers in size 15. Too much volume.

La Sportiva all leather mountaineering boots size 48. Too small.

Zamberlain backpacking boots size 48. Too small.

Lowa Camino Leather Lined size 14. Too small.

Irish Setter Elk Tracker size 14. Did not fit right. Started leaking in less than a year. The store and Irish Setter refused to do anything about it. I quit dealing with either one after that.

Many pairs of Danners. None ever fit right or had the right support.

I have had 3 pairs of LL Bean backpacking boots that were good. This was 20ish years ago and I could never find them again. Size 14.

Bean Maine Hunting Boots. Grew up using these. Once I started backpacking and covering ground in steep terrain I needed something with more support.

The newest boots I have are Meindl Vacuum hunters. They are size 14 but Meindls run big so the fit is pretty good. They are hot with the memory foam and the jury is still out. No blisters or anything like that. I need to explore this brand more for other boots.

I also got some Haix work boots. They actually make a 14.5. The first I have ever seen. They are comfy and supportive. I need to explore this brand more also.

Like most guys with big feet it is a struggle to find something that works. I am always looking for that perfect boot.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Maybe this will help guys like us;

I checked my foot at REI, measured 14 D

With my medium weight wool hunting socks;

Lowa Renegades were too skinny and probably too short...uncomfortable just to put on so they didn't last long

Lowa Caminos were close, perfect volume- I would rate them a medium, flex is about a 3 on a 5 scale, you can push on them and flex them, pretty good ankle support...about a 3 of 5.....these were just a hair short. Good looking boot.

I ordered the Mendel Vacuum hiker in 14D. These are one of the most flexible boots I've tried night and day different from the Crispis or the Scarpas....5 on a 5 scale flex more than the Soloman 4 d's too. I'm not liking this much flex. The sole has side to side flex too almost to the point of a trail running shoe. If there is a shank in there, I would be surprised. Its a high volume boot...so I will need a thick insole. I'm going to keep these and run them with a thick insole with a carbon shank. The boot is about perfect in length...so these do run large for sure. Ankle support is so so...about what you would expect for such a soft boot.

At least I know the Mendel will fit me....I might try a stiffer model.

Scarpa Kalish in 15- these are fairly flexible uppers with a fairly stiff sole- which I like. It seems that the ankle support doesn't match the sole...as with a stiff sole it seems like I want a little more ankle support. I put a Form max support insole in these[ medium to high volume] and it improved the heck out of them. I still wish they had a eyelet where my foot meets the ankle, but I've been double lacing them there and its not too bad.

These aren't an off trail boot...and they are fairly hard so best with a 5mm cushion insole.These are just a tad long for my foot...a 14.5 probably would have been perfect..but now I know.
The thick insole with my med vol foot makes this boot a better fit all around.

_______

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a 14 in a few select work boots, but a 15 in most everything else. Tried 14 Crispis and they were too small without question. I ordered Lowa Caminos in 15 and they have been great. I have contacted Crispi at least 2 or 3 times when they introduce their new year boots asking about 15s to no avail.

One other place to check, several of Schnees branded boots come in 15 and maybe 16. I may go that route for my next boot, or maybe Hanwag.