The Bull Magnet

Okay....throw out your thoughts and experiences on what might be the most popular commercial moose call in use today.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
For many years I'd cut the bottom out of an anti-freeze jug and use that. It worked just fine for calling, and I even raked with it successfully. That said, I've had a bull moose come to a chain-saw when cutting wood (not hunting).

I got a Bull Magnet when they first started coming out, which I've been using every year since. Mine is pretty well used and shows wear from raking, but it's still going strong. As already mentioned, you can really reach out there with your calls for quite a distance if the wind is right. It is cumbersome to pack, but I'm attached to it now!

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Same as some of the other posters Ive used a lot of the old school home made calls but then I got a bull magnet. It holds up well and really throws the call out there.

I also use the magnet. I've had mine now for going on 11 or 12 years and also use it a lot for banging and scrapping on brush, trees, etc. Although it's been pretty abused, and looks it, It's still going strong.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They work pretty well, not much to say that hasn't been said already, I used a detergent bottle with the bottom cut off for a long time, I also used a shoulder blade from a moose for awhile for scraping. When I'm raking trees with the bull magnet, it has a strange echo to it but Ive come to believe over the years that moose just aren't as picky about noises as I had been led to believe.

As for carrying the bull magnet, I drilled 2 small holes and took some paracord knotted it at each end and it works as sort of a sling, that can help.

OP
Kevin Dill
The truth: The reason I've never bought one is the weight. I haven't been able to justify a full pound of weight to replace what I currently use and weighing 2.5 ounces. I'm really weight restricted flying in. And then there's just the extra pound carrying around.

VernAK

WKR
I bought a couple Bull Magnets at garage sales and I like em but 90% of my moose calling is done from one location so it hangs in a tree from year to year.

The truth: The reason I've never bought one is the weight. I haven't been able to justify a full pound of weight to replace what I currently use and weighing 2.5 ounces. I'm really weight restricted flying in. And then there's just the extra pound carrying around.
What do you use right now that you're considering replacing?

BCsteve

WKR
I have made a couple similar calls using fiberglass and a traffic cone as a mold. Works great for calling and scraping bush.

Kevin, What is your particular type of plastic bottle?
We tried the Magnet, didn't work. Used our cupped hands and a good piece of wood to rake the tree limbs....that brought him in....

OP
Kevin Dill
Kevin, What is your particular type of plastic bottle?
We tried the Magnet, didn't work. Used our cupped hands and a good piece of wood to rake the tree limbs....that brought him in....

I've posted this somewhere before. Phillips 66 X/C Aviation Oil bottle. It has a longer spout. The plastic is good and rigid. Projects sound better than softer plastics. I cut the very bottom off and cleaned it out with hand cleaner. This thing is small and light, but very loud when raked into a dead spruce. Can use it as a megaphone or hold it to the ear for sound amplification.

mcseal2

WKR
I used one to rake and call on our hunt last year and had 3 bulls come in. I like it. We also used an old canoe paddle to rake and it was probably better. When I got my bull I was raking with the Magnet, my buddy was elsewhere with the paddle.

VernAK

WKR
The Bull Magnet is also handy for imitating antler waving. I like to stand behind a small spruce as the bull is getting close and scrape the spruce and wave the BM in a slow motion as bulls wave their antlers.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have near the experience calling moose as some of the guys that have already posted but I did buy the Bull Magnet when my brother drew an ID Moose tag a few years ago. I used it the first couple days and it did sound good, but it was a royal pain to carry around. Heavy, no real good way to attach a lanyard or sling (that I found) and noisy if it bumped or rubbed against anything. I ended up cutting the bottom out of a large Gatorade bottle and I thought it worked almost as good for calling and was much easier to transport.

If you do want to try the Bull Magnet, shoot me a message with your address and I'll send you mine.

I was calling into a cardboard food saver roll I found on my kid’s toy pile a couple weeks ago and my wife ran into the room and said it was the closest thing she has heard to an actual bull grunt - it really does sound good! It was loud and it seemed to really vibrate. A paper towel roll didn’t sound as good, it had to be the thick food saver! Now I’m debating if I wanna pack it, as it will likely be destroyed by rain and ineffective once wet.

I’ve used the bull magnet (hunting parter’s) successfully 3 for 3. But I really think anything mentioned would have worked on them bulls. I just can’t get myself to spend $50 on it. I’ll probably just throw in a water jug and a couple food saver rolls this year - I have plenty of both laying around!

I’ve been using my bull magnet for over 20yrs and it works great. To reduce the tinney resonance when using it to scrape, I just hold the rim and it cleans the sound up real well. I also use it to mimic a cow urinating, I just put my hand over the mouthpiece fill it up and pour. This has helped get many stuck Bulls to break cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk