The Bull Magnet

IdahoClay

FNG
Okay....throw out your thoughts and experiences on what might be the most popular commercial moose call in use today.
I've used the the call and found it effective. Not to mention Wayne Kubat is a wealth of information and willing to help with advice.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I use the magnet and like it. Although I don't do much raking and scraping with it. I carry a shortened wooden canoe paddle for that. I've found that when I rake with the paddle with the magnet slid down over the handle it has a really good sound that, to me, sounds identical to a bull raking brush. Without the paddle it sounds a little tinny to my ears. I also attached some paracord for hanging and put some tape around the end to make it easier on my mouth. It works great for sound amplification. I've put it to my ear and heard moose that I would have never heard without it.
However, last year I was hunting light and called in a bull using a Powerade bottle with the bottom cut out.

Attachments

• 20220920_091543.jpg
    20220920_091543.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 63
Although I’ve shot my share of moose, I only started calling recently. So far I’ve found the Magnet to be bulky to carry and have less great raking sound. Good for cow calling close to camp though, and we pulled multiple bulls with one last year.

The canoe paddle has worked well for me as a rake. The sound carry’s really well. That plus an old school birch call pulled this years bull almost into camp. I also found the birch call made really good raking sounds on final stalk and I got under 20 yds dragging that through the brush as I went.

Yk

08f0e3afa1d6d70a3e83ec34d2f2fba2.jpg

The truth: The reason I've never bought one is the weight. I haven't been able to justify a full pound of weight to replace what I currently use and weighing 2.5 ounces. I'm really weight restricted flying in. And then there's just the extra pound carrying around.

Yeah, they're heavy. That's probably why I never bought one - too many lighter options available. But, Wayne did hit on a great idea when he created those back in the late 1980's. Entrepreneurial .....

Caribou or elk shoulder blades are lighter and easier to carry than moose blades for raking.

And a foot long ridgid plastic funnel with the a few inches cut off the small end if I carry anything to amplify. It will rake as well but not as good a sound as a shoulder blade.

I got a Bull Magnet when they first started coming out, which I've been using every year since. Mine is pretty well used and shows wear from raking, but it's still going strong. As already mentioned, you can really reach out there with your calls for quite a distance if the wind is right. It is cumbersome to pack, but I'm attached to it now!
I'm pretty much the same way. I bought mine about 15 years ago and although I don't consider myself a big moose hunter, I've used it quite a bit and have had good luck with it. As much as I've beat it around, it's still going strong and probably will for the rest of my moose hunting years. It's definitely heavier than a plastic jug or a lot of other types of funnels that one can make for calling, but it's also much more durable, sounds really natural when scraping and knocking it against trees/limbs, and the little extra wt. doesn't bother me. I'm not at all into "backpacking in" to hunt moose, so I've never been too concerned about taking a bit of extra wt.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm pretty much the same way. I bought mine about 15 years ago and although I don't consider myself a big moose hunter, I've used it quite a bit and have had good luck with it. As much as I've beat it around, it's still going strong and probably will for the rest of my moose hunting years. It's definitely heavier than a plastic jug or a lot of other types of funnels that one can make for calling, but it's also much more durable, sounds really natural when scraping and knocking it against trees/limbs, and the little extra wt. doesn't bother me. I'm not at all into "backpacking in" to hunt moose, so I've never been too concerned about taking a bit of extra wt.
Mine has gotten/is still getting a lot of use each fall, and definitely has some wear signs and battle scars! I'm sure it will be used by my son and daughter well into the future after I'm benched!
IMG_6793.jpeg

MWH

FNG
I don't have near the experience calling moose as some of the guys that have already posted but I did buy the Bull Magnet when my brother drew an ID Moose tag a few years ago. I used it the first couple days and it did sound good, but it was a royal pain to carry around. Heavy, no real good way to attach a lanyard or sling (that I found) and noisy if it bumped or rubbed against anything. I ended up cutting the bottom out of a large Gatorade bottle and I thought it worked almost as good for calling and was much easier to transport.

If you do want to try the Bull Magnet, shoot me a message with your address and I'll send you mine.
My guide this year actually attached it to the side of his pack to intentionally have it make noise as we approached the moose. It was dead clam the last 30 minutes until sunset and there would have been no way of getting close enough without it hearing us anyways. It made a hell of a lot of noise as were went through all the brush and trees and we didn’t even make it to the intended animal and had the one I ended up killing standing 100 yards infront of us. Then to get it to come into an opening he took it off his pack moved a few yards to my left and hit it against the brush and the moose went straight for him and gave me a shot.