The Cooler Thread........

mwebs

WKR
I have Yetis and I’m not afraid that admitting it will make me a less legit hunter! We got screaming deals from a shop that couldn’t sell them and didn’t have storage space. Have a 125, 160 and 210. All our dry food is stored in 210 until we need it, cold in the 160 with frozen water jugs. Don’t need ice for two weeks. I also have celebratory whiskey in my Yeti tumbler, look out!

Elkangle

WKR
I have a different take then most have had so far but I used a dometic 95 dual zone this year and it was awesome from sep-december...I enjoyed having it so much in my truck I've been leaving it in there for work ever since...its pretty cool to be able to control the temp of your meat

Will be buying the 110 version when ever I catch them on sale

Not a cheap investment so please don't bash me 😂

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a different take then most have had so far but I used a dometic 95 dual zone this year and it was awesome from sep-december...I enjoyed having it so much in my truck I've been leaving it in there for work ever since...its pretty cool to be able to control the temp of your meat

Will be buying the 110 version when ever I catch them on sale

Not a cheap investment so please don't bash me
Have had the same model for years too! Used it when I was long haul trucking and now when we go camping. Not cheap, but agreat investment for those that want to plug in and not worry about it!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love how this thread started with an honest attempt to learn how folks handle game care and cooler functionality and turned into a fancy cooler bash and flex on how cheap you got your Coleman.
I went back and read all the posts again and there isn't one that "bashes" fancy coolers. Not one. But there's a heck of a lot of guys talking about getting it done with cheap coolers. So do you need a fancy cooler to get the job done? Perhaps some might. But use what works for you, and everyone else will use what works for them regardless which ones they can afford. The bottom line is......you certainly don't "need" $700 coolers to get the job done well. That's not bashing fancy coolers, just folks making a point. The same point can be made for any gear.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
For those that use yeti coolers, do you not worry about them getting stolen from your Trucks?

I was just going to post regarding this.

We hunted in WY last fall for Antelope. A game warden stopped by, and also a big game biologist. I asked them about the safety of our camp when we're not around. They said things are usually fine, with the exception of the big expense coolers (YETI, etc.). They said those are the first things that get stolen.

Also, I have found the 1/2 gallon plastic milk jugs full of frozen water work best for me. They're easier to pack around the meat in a cooler than the one gallon jugs.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
Yeti 105. Yes it was expensive. Yes it matches my flatbill. Yes it keeps deer cold for a long time. Yes its a pain to lock it in the bed of my truck. Yes I use two locking points to make it harder to steal. Yes i'm that aware bolt cutters exist.

Regarding the cooler debate, I will admit I'm just a tighta$$, and if I can get 3 or more Coleman 120's for the price of one Yeti, I will do that all day long. $100 buys a heck of a lot of ice after all... Will they hold the ice as long, probably not, but for the way I use them, they would be fine, and if one fell out the back of the truck or was stolen, I would be far less butt hurt over the deal.

Now, that all being said, my brother and I are going on an outfitted 8 day hunt in NW MT in Sept. I talked to the guide, and he said that if we shoot something, it is immediately transported to the processor for cold storage (and butchering) while we are in the woods. We are accustomed to butchering all our own deer meat, and I'd like to do the same if we get a deer, elk, or bear. He said he could talk to the processor and see if they would be willing to simply store the quarters for us. If that is possible, it sounds like buying or borrowing 3 or 4 of the 120 quart size coolers would be more than enough for us to get our meat home after the hunt (16 hour drive home). However, it may be cheaper to buy a small chest freezer and strap it down in the bed of my truck, and I will probably need deep freeze space at home anyways.

Thoughts?

TSAMP

WKR
Regarding the cooler debate, I will admit I'm just a tighta$$, and if I can get 3 or more Coleman 120's for the price of one Yeti, I will do that all day long. $100 buys a heck of a lot of ice after all... Will they hold the ice as long, probably not, but for the way I use them, they would be fine, and if one fell out the back of the truck or was stolen, I would be far less butt hurt over the deal.

Now, that all being said, my brother and I are going on an outfitted 8 day hunt in NW MT in Sept. I talked to the guide, and he said that if we shoot something, it is immediately transported to the processor for cold storage (and butchering) while we are in the woods. We are accustomed to butchering all our own deer meat, and I'd like to do the same if we get a deer, elk, or bear. He said he could talk to the processor and see if they would be willing to simply store the quarters for us. If that is possible, it sounds like buying or borrowing 3 or 4 of the 120 quart size coolers would be more than enough for us to get our meat home after the hunt (16 hour drive home). However, it may be cheaper to buy a small chest freezer and strap it down in the bed of my truck, and I will probably need deep freeze space at home anyways.

Thoughts?
You aren't a tight ass.

Jakerex

WKR
The 150qt Coleman at sam’s club is about $70. Works great. Pack your clothes and gear in on the way there, and take garbage bags for your clothes and gear on the return trip. Guess you might need to pack
Ice depending on time of year. I used a couple frozen gallon jugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
My and my buddy take 2 150q Coleman’s with frozen water jugs and a 65q rtic. We always throw them in the walk in cooler to pre cool them and then pull them, add ice and keep them shut. Haven’t needed them the past couple years but they are ready. We did both pick up a yeti 210 each so we will take both of those this year and use the same process to Orr cool and for ice. We got a screaming deal on the yeti’s through a guide buddy and they where only like $450, a steep price but better than the $799 and can fit a whole elk.

I did pick up a denied lock set to bolt the 210 down, it was a lot and I would be pissed if it got stolen.

The best advice I ever read on coolers was to have a dedicated one for meals and open it only once during the day. The second was to take 1" foam from the lumber yard and line your cooler so the ice lasts longer. The third is to go with solid block (whatever size) in lieu of cubes for they last longer. This is what I do in muzzleloader or archery season when we are able to drive to our base camp.

I start with a Coleman 120 cooler, I then cut 1" foam to fit the bottom, sides and a lid. I save quart plastic jugs from juice, wash and dry them out....fill with well water and freeze them. During the summer I make a meals and freeze them in a plastic bags careful to keep them as flat as possible.

Layer one is the frozen jugs in the bottom, then comes the frozen meals, then some more jugs. It also is important to keep the cooler in the shade and wrapped with an old quilt. Before we leave in the morning I take out the meal for the day and let it thaw in a regular cooler. We are generally back by noon so that's when we cook. As the jugs thaw we use that water for drinking. This has worked for me for 4 in camp and up to 10 days total trip including travel.

We run 3 100 quart rotomolded coolers from webstaurant.com They’re about half the cost of the other rotomolded cooler brands but with the best quality’s of each. Freaking awesome coolers. I put 8 frozen water filled quart milk jugs in each whenI leave the house and they’re still partially frozen by the end of the week and the coolers ready for boned out meat at any moment. Where we hunt in Idaho you’re a long ways from ice so the coolers have to be ready.

We run 3 100 quart rotomolded coolers from webstaurant.com They’re about half the cost of the other rotomolded cooler brands but with the best quality’s of each. Freaking awesome coolers. I put 8 frozen water filled quart milk jugs in each whenI leave the house and they’re still partially frozen by the end of the week and the coolers ready for boned out meat at any moment. Where we hunt in Idaho you’re a long ways from ice so the coolers have to be ready.
Thank you for the link, and I just took a quick look. You can get the rotomolded 100 quart for $234 and add wheels and a handle for $243. In comparison, a yeti 110 without wheels will set you back $499.

Thank you for the link, and I just took a quick look. You can get the rotomolded 100 quart for $234 and add wheels and a handle for $243. In comparison, a yeti 110 without wheels will set you back $499.
Yessir, they’re pretty awesome. Also the drain plug is chained and it has 2 steel reinforced lock holes to lock it up. They have the best features of all the rotomolded coolers in my opinion.

I did a quick Amazon check and the Igloo Polar 120 is going for $69. Supposed to keep ice for 5 days in 90 degree temps.

Coleman marine 150 is going for $119.