The current state of Kimber(or at least my experience)

OP
J
Sure thing.

9bGQoXu.jpg

It isn't a beauty queen for sure, but its functional.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I’d love to screw on a big side baffle brake like that on my Montana 308. It would make it a pussy cat to shoot for sure.

brsnow

WKR
I love my Montana 7mm-08 , I have the brake might put it on. My father in law shoots a brake so I already wear ear protection hunting. Glad to hear the company is helping you.

Muttly

WKR
Keep getting a hankering for another Kimber in a bigger caliber. Not a real fan of radial brakes, always curious about what's out there for the skinnier barrels..

OP
J
Keep getting a hankering for another Kimber in a bigger caliber. Not a real fan of radial brakes, always curious about what's out there for the skinnier barrels..

It’s honestly not too much bigger than the barrel. At least it doesn’t bother me a bit. I’ll admit I probably wouldn’t want to put a big slab style brake on it as it would look ridiculous but this isn’t too bad.

251JDG

FNG
My old man just picked up a Kimber Hunter a few weeks ago and I've got my eye on a Kimber classic right now. Hopefully we won't need the customer service department but seems like they're pretty reliable if we ever do.

Mike 338

WKR
The big question to me is how in the hell these are passing QC checks before leaving the factory. Baffles me honestly.

This ^.

The answer is that for some companies, the Customer is the Quality Control Department. There's a few companies that are extremely notorious for this practice.

Dhbwa

WKR
My last experience with Kimber was they were very pleasant and quick.

But.....they didn’t/wouldn’t fix a chamber with obvious chatter marks....it’d shoot about 1.5”
I rebarreled it to 6XC....
They said it’s within spec..... Luckily most of the newer rifles made after the MOA warranty shoot well.....

My last experience with Kimber was they were very pleasant and quick.

But.....they didn’t/wouldn’t fix a chamber with obvious chatter marks....it’d shoot about 1.5”
I rebarreled it to 6XC....
They said it’s within spec..... Luckily most of the newer rifles made after the MOA warranty shoot well.....
Kimber's "improvement" seems to be abrupt upon reflection causing me to "guess" that there was an epiphany possibly - The Kimbers I still have are more recent models and I am more than happy with them

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kimber's "improvement" seems to be abrupt upon reflection causing me to "guess" that there was an epiphany possibly - The Kimbers I still have are more recent models and I am more than happy with them

Same here, to be fair though I joined the kimber club fairly late and my oldest one was made in 2016 but I have been more than satisfied with the ones I’ve owned. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new one but in light of threads like this, I’d probably try very hard to buy one in person or lightly used from somebody here on rokslide rather than a company that’s goi g to ship a sealed box without inspecting it.

Same here, to be fair though I joined the kimber club fairly late and my oldest one was made in 2016 but I have been more than satisfied with the ones I’ve owned. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new one but in light of threads like this, I’d probably try very hard to buy one in person or lightly used from somebody here on rokslide rather than a company that’s goi g to ship a sealed box without inspecting it.
good point - there are online dealers, at least on Gunbroker, who will actually take the effort to inspect one for a buyer but I doubt I'd trust their expertise for detailed questions - We bought 3 Montana's from Oregon SW's when they changed owners a long while back, in 325 WSM, all were shooters BUT each had a particular load or bullet of "liking" and none were close … weird I thought but since I load ammo for everyone I hunt with it wasn't a big deal - my first experience was with mine, the external extractor popped off under recoil so I sent it to Kalispell for service which was supposed to be under warranty, it took a couple of months and ended up costing me a bit less than $60 but I figured that since at first I slipped and told them on the phone that it was a "handload" and they said "no warranty" then I said "oops, that was another rifle, this one shoots factory" they agreed to cover it I was ok with that - Kimber has some kind of weird "policies" like you can buy a Montana stock for you classic but you are required (or WERE required) to send the gun in for them to bed it on your dime - I guess there are worse policies with others though …. Haven't had any need to use the warranty lately either - I prefer drop magazine rifles now so I liked the HUNTER and so far I love the 2 we have

OP
J
good point - there are online dealers, at least on Gunbroker, who will actually take the effort to inspect one for a buyer but I doubt I'd trust their expertise for detailed questions - We bought 3 Montana's from Oregon SW's when they changed owners a long while back, in 325 WSM, all were shooters BUT each had a particular load or bullet of "liking" and none were close … weird I thought but since I load ammo for everyone I hunt with it wasn't a big deal - my first experience was with mine, the external extractor popped off under recoil so I sent it to Kalispell for service which was supposed to be under warranty, it took a couple of months and ended up costing me a bit less than $60 but I figured that since at first I slipped and told them on the phone that it was a "handload" and they said "no warranty" then I said "oops, that was another rifle, this one shoots factory" they agreed to cover it I was ok with that - Kimber has some kind of weird "policies" like you can buy a Montana stock for you classic but you are required (or WERE required) to send the gun in for them to bed it on your dime - I guess there are worse policies with others though …. Haven't had any need to use the warranty lately either - I prefer drop magazine rifles now so I liked the HUNTER and so far I love the 2 we have

I think damn near every bigger manufacturer out there has a similar way of voiding the warranty. I think it just helps absolve them of any responsibility if you end up pouring a case full of power pistol instead of RL26.

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
Hey mmac. shoot me a message. Its saying i cant reply or send messages in the classifieds. Ive bought a pair of binoculars off the site before so not sure why its not allowing it now... Interested in your zeiss scope. Sorry for the interuption

OP
J
Update - got a shipping notification from Kimber today. I ended up calling them to see what they found.

They replaced the stock, checked the firearm over and tested it for accuracy at 100y with 160 and 140gr ammo.

Should be back to me next week.

I’ll update when I have it in hand.

OP
J
Got the gun back today.

Looks like they replaced the stock and it is free floated now... but I did mention the mag box to the folks on the phone and it was still bound up. Went ahead and filed off the edges to unbind it and put it back together. I bet I get a better group than they got when it’s all said and done.

All in all, I guess I could complain a little, but what’s the point. They’ll at least fix the big things.

Attachments

• CB1441DD-F16E-41E1-B9E5-56AAC06F72B2.jpeg
    CB1441DD-F16E-41E1-B9E5-56AAC06F72B2.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 109

BjornF16

WKR
Jeff

how did it shoot after fixing the mag box?

any other mods you make to improve accuracy?

I’ve been shying away from Kimber rifles but really thinking of getting one in 280 AI...

Thanks,
Björn