The current state of Kimber(or at least my experience)

OP
J
Jeff

how did it shoot after fixing the mag box?

any other mods you make to improve accuracy?

I’ve been shying away from Kimber rifles but really thinking of getting one in 280 AI...

Thanks,
Björn

Other than the mag box, Nathan’s brake, and turning the trigger down to 1.75lbs, no mods. I don’t have a picture currently but it’ll put 3 in .8 with precision hunter - exactly what I expected.

Maybe next time I go shoot(when everything opens back up so who knows when) I’ll pull it out and get some pics.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Kimber these days... like I’ve mentioned in other threads just know what you’re getting into. Probably not going to be a cross canyon 800+ yard rifle but for short to medium distances(to 500-600 or so) it’ll do everything you need it to... and I think beyond that it’s just a shooter issue, because rifles this lightweight are harder to shoot than their heavier counterparts in my experience.

OP
J
Which brake are you running on the 280 AI?
Muzzle brakes and more makes a side discharge brake that’s threaded for the kimber. It works great, and is easy on the wallet.

I had one of the Kimber brakes for my 308 but honestly I didn’t care for it. Radial brakes in general are inconsistent when it comes to recoil imo. You already have to wear earplugs - why not go side discharge and get better reduction and most of all consistency!

I started reloading for this rifle and it paid off. A couple of 3 shot groups to just get a feel for some loads.

0125201036.jpg0125201030.jpg

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I will echo a positive experience with my one and only Kimber rifle, a Mountain Ascent in 6.5 CM. I have just finished a barrel break in and it is easily sub MOA. My buddy drilled a 1 in circle at 200 yards on his first shot with it. Does seem very important to put downward pressure on the fore end or over the front scope ring.

I should probably try hand loading for mine, those are some nice looking groups!

Did you dig the gel out of the stock?

No, I thought that was just in the Hunter stock. I honestly wouldn't want it any lighter. It's finicky enough as it is.

OP
J
that’s only on the hunter model stocks, not the Montana/mountain ascent/Adirondack stocks.

I actually thought he had a hunter at first glance but upon closer inspection it looks like a Montana. It at least has a removable trigger guard.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I actually thought he had a hunter at first glance but upon closer inspection it looks like a Montana. It at least has a removable trigger guard.

right, I believe the hunter has a plastic trigger guard. I was actually thinking of grabbing a hunter when I get my new mountain ascent just as a project gun. Remove the foam, chop the barrel etc.

OP
J
right, I believe the hunter has a plastic trigger guard. I was actually thinking of grabbing a hunter when I get my new mountain ascent just as a project gun. Remove the foam, chop the barrel etc.

It’s a tempting thought for me as well!