The Devil is in the Details... 2020 Muley

OP
Call.me.porter

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, its been a banner year for sure... something, something, eff 2020... yeah, sounds about right!

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to run down a mature mountain muley for a couple years. I've had some close calls and seen some great deer but it always seems like I run out of time to focus on them instead of elk, or a delicious looking whitetail buck walks in front of me that I can't pass up. Well I was lucky enough to kill a bull on opening day of rifle here in MT, so my game plan was to spend hopefully the rest of the season chasing muleys. Or at least spend as much time as I could before my second kid makes an appearance (still not here yet, but any day now...) So Wednesday afternoon I was finally able to get out and make it happen. I was supposed to have the day off for Veterans day but got called in for snow removal. All of my gear was loaded and ready to go so I finished my route and headed out as fast as I could. I had a spot in mind that I had always driven past, but never hunted. While driving down the road I saw a big set of splay-toed tracks heading straight up a scree field to the top of the ridge where I had planned to hunt. If there was ever a time to call a perfect play this was it. I headed up the ridge and made a wide circle into where I thought he was headed. 45 minutes into my hike I bumped a bunch of whitetail does in a big open stand of pines. With deer running all over I was able to pick out tines from behind a big bull pine. I could tell he was big even from 200 yards away, but I fully expected to see a monster whitetail come out from behind it. I propped up against the tree I was next to and waited. No sooner had I gotten set up and the buck started off through the flat on a dead sprint. I got a quick look at him and I knew that was the caliber of muley buck I have been after. I was able to pick a spot through the timber and put the crosshairs on the front of the grey blur hauling ass through the trees and squeezed the trigger and hit my mark. These high mountain bucks are in a league of their own and their will to live is difficult to be bested. The best part of it was walking up and getting my hands on him and realizing that he was considerably bigger than I had initially thought. No ground shrinkage for this old boy and one hell of a buck on an OTC tag on public land to end a perfect season on.

I also had a personal goal to kill a respectable buck with a rifle that I had won from Weatherby, on Instagram of all things. Still reeling over my luck there, but that's a different story. The rifle I killed this buck with is a Custom .300 Weatherby that was used on a mule deer hunt that was filmed in the Sandhills of Nebraska. For me it was fun to make a complete circle and further this rifles reputation earned on mule deer.
Very awesome buck buddy! Cool story as well! Thanks for sharing and keep it up!!

I've been trying to run down a mature mountain muley for a couple years. I've had some close calls and seen some great deer but it always seems like I run out of time to focus on them instead of elk, or a delicious looking whitetail buck walks in front of me that I can't pass up. Well I was lucky enough to kill a bull on opening day of rifle here in MT, so my game plan was to spend hopefully the rest of the season chasing muleys. Or at least spend as much time as I could before my second kid makes an appearance (still not here yet, but any day now...) So Wednesday afternoon I was finally able to get out and make it happen. I was supposed to have the day off for Veterans day but got called in for snow removal. All of my gear was loaded and ready to go so I finished my route and headed out as fast as I could. I had a spot in mind that I had always driven past, but never hunted. While driving down the road I saw a big set of splay-toed tracks heading straight up a scree field to the top of the ridge where I had planned to hunt. If there was ever a time to call a perfect play this was it. I headed up the ridge and made a wide circle into where I thought he was headed. 45 minutes into my hike I bumped a bunch of whitetail does in a big open stand of pines. With deer running all over I was able to pick out tines from behind a big bull pine. I could tell he was big even from 200 yards away, but I fully expected to see a monster whitetail come out from behind it. I propped up against the tree I was next to and waited. No sooner had I gotten set up and the buck started off through the flat on a dead sprint. I got a quick look at him and I knew that was the caliber of muley buck I have been after. I was able to pick a spot through the timber and put the crosshairs on the front of the grey blur hauling ass through the trees and squeezed the trigger and hit my mark. These high mountain bucks are in a league of their own and their will to live is difficult to be bested. The best part of it was walking up and getting my hands on him and realizing that he was considerably bigger than I had initially thought. No ground shrinkage for this old boy and one hell of a buck on an OTC tag on public land to end a perfect season on.

I also had a personal goal to kill a respectable buck with a rifle that I had won from Weatherby, on Instagram of all things. Still reeling over my luck there, but that's a different story. The rifle I killed this buck with is a Custom .300 Weatherby that was used on a mule deer hunt that was filmed in the Sandhills of Nebraska. For me it was fun to make a complete circle and further this rifles reputation earned on mule deer.
Great buck. Was looking into buying a lightweight weatherby. I have a 30-378 Mark V. It’s a beast but is a shooter. I load 180 accubonds through it and love them. I have been hesitant to buy the rifle just because I don’t have many friends that have weatherby rifles so I don’t have much feedback. You seem pretty happy with it so far. My rifle is pushing 3440 right now so I get the scary fast aspect. You mind sharing your load data with me, I just had my second child this year and have time to tinker with loads while watching the kiddos. Congrats again

43.6N

FNG
Very cool story! I’ve got an old 300wby that was handed down from grandpa, and your story really makes me want to dust it off!

Congrats on a great buck and a great story too.

OP
Call.me.porter

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
Love this hunt story!!
Hunting timber fir Mtn bucks is the ultimate experience IMO.
Hearty congrats!!😀🥃
Thanks! And I agree, they're cagey old buggers and so much fun to chase. I hunt them like I hunt elk and it is an absolute rush. Fresh snow, cut tracks, drop hammer, fill freezer.