"The Doubler"

Merc

FNG
Great write up and rams! That's a trip dreams are made of, I only hope to get on one of that caliber soon.

Thanks for the gear rundown too, always curious about what works for everyone else and why.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Steve for sharing your hunt with us. Its always an epic adventure - one to read a few times to get the full feel of the event.
ALso thanks for the equipment seminar - as you can see, many here are willing students of your escapades! You didn't say, but by mentioning you are shooting 130gr. Accubonds in the Kimber is that a .270Win.?

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Thanks Steve for sharing your hunt with us. Its always an epic adventure - one to read a few times to get the full feel of the event.
ALso thanks for the equipment seminar - as you can see, many here are willing students of your escapades! You didn't say, but by mentioning you are shooting 130gr. Accubonds in the Kimber is that a .270Win.?

My rifle is a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5mm Creedmore with a Swaro Sheep hunter Z5 3.5-18x44 P L BT, with a turret dial made for my load by the Outdoorsman.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yeah that's right. I forgot about a 130 with that cartridge. So I should ask, who did the Kuiu camo pattern?
Thanks very much

Last edited:
OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Oh yeah that's right. I forgot about a 130 with that cartridge. So I should ask, who did the Kuiu camo pattern?
Thanks very much

Sorry, just saw this when I was rereading.

Paul at Alaska Hydrographics did the Kuiu dip with soft touch clear and cerakoted it flat black. He has a shop in Palmer.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Got my ram back from this trip. Chris and my taxidermist surprised me with a image lasered into the leather. So pleased with the way it turned out. Frontier Taxidermy also mounted Chris's ram.

sheep%20mount%20pass_zpsnhj42awu.jpg

IMG_7935_zpskx1d8ucw.jpg

IMG_7927_zpsaxlu50d8.jpg

DSC01094%20copy_zpsx1a7ohyj.jpg

chris-ram.jpg_zpsubnnbqx5.jpg

Got my ram back from this trip. Chris and my taxidermist surprised me with a image lasered into the leather. So pleased with the way it turned out. Frontier Taxidermy also mounted Chris's ram.

sheep%20mount%20pass_zpsnhj42awu.jpg

IMG_7935_zpskx1d8ucw.jpg

IMG_7927_zpsaxlu50d8.jpg

DSC01094%20copy_zpsx1a7ohyj.jpg

chris-ram.jpg_zpsubnnbqx5.jpg

Lookin’ good Steve! I didn’t think you had anymore room left in your house for sheep mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks real nice Steve!

Is your taxidermist local? I need a new one as the one who used to work on my stuff is a crook/liar, etc. and the fella doing my sheep each year might only have a few years left in the business.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Looks real nice Steve!

Is your taxidermist local? I need a new one as the one who used to work on my stuff is a crook/liar, etc. and the fella doing my sheep each year might only have a few years left in the business.

Dave Winney, he is in Valdez. Frontier Taxidermy is his shop. Beautiful ram and photo of ours this year by the way... Congrats Sir.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Thanks Steve!

Do you drive your stuff down to him or is there an easier way to do all of that?

I have mailed cape and horns to him before, but also drove stuff down when fishing or got someone heading to or from to do it. Love Valdez and make a trip or two most years. Worth the drive, Dave does amazing work.

Steve, love the pedestal mounts! And the leather engraving is a great touch. Chris is super thoughtful like that.

I second Dave's taxidermy work. Definitely top notch!

Julius K

FNG
That’s one of the best mounts I have seen in a while. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk