The dreaded sidearm question...

10mm Dan Wesson 1911 in stainless for me. Had both a 20 and 29 but until they just aren’t made for my hands. The don’t call them Blocks for nothin. Mine sits in a chest rig anytime I’m in cougar range. Got stalked two years ago and almost had to use it. No fun.

LaGriz

WKR
Only felt the need to carry in WY,

2008: Purchased the Titanium "Judge" (4" BBL 2 3/4" .410) with the understanding it was a compromise. A .45 Long colt being less desirable than a 44 mag or more pottant cartridge, I believed it to be only a minimum load for Grizz. Once located an older S&W Mt. Pistol in .44 mag at a gun show but the price seemed too high. Wanted the hand gun for any pack out or returning to cashed quarters left over night. Being a gadget guy, versatility and perceived dual purpose helped me justify the expense. Having a 410 load to take a grouse or other small game sold me on it.

In the field use: Bear sign was everywhere on this DIY elk hunt. While hunting with a rifle I did not carry the revolver, opting for the bear spray on my left side. When I do carry, I have in a cross-draw position on my hip belt. Its an Uncle Mikes generic holster that is OK, but could be a better fit. Its not a Smith: The quality of the Taurus Judge fit-n-finish Is not the best. That said, it got much smoother over time. I can hit with it, and a 220 grain Lever-Evolution at over 1000 fps is a formidable load. The bird shot makes a huge pattern at 7-15 yards. Fortunately, grouse can be taken with only a few pellets, but you need to be close. Have shot the 000 buck shot loads (3 pellets) at 7 yards with questionable accuracy. The shot patterns are not exactly repeatable either. However, if one needed to defend himself in the middle of the night from a dead sleep, I would not want to me on the other end.

Personal defense: Once upon a time I spent a nervous night in a grim NW Texas motel. There was a rodeo in town and lodging was hard to find. A loud bunch (12+) of shady individuals had collected in the parking lot near my room. Only then did I realize the door had once been kicked in and repaired with 1/4" plywood and a little spray paint. Ended up loading My .280 Remington and sleeping with it as the drama continued. Only have 4 shots in the bolt action, any round traveling well beyond any target could put a bystander at risk. Not the best choice for close range defense. The judge now fills this niche and can give me piece of mind in such a situation.

LaGriz

When spike camping I always have my .357 by my side, not in griz country. Purchased a 460V this year with a chest holster which is a lot of fun to shoot just not fun to carry for weight. Would carry the 460V in thick griz country archery hunting as I believe in going out with a bang not spraying like a skunk.