The effect of limited licenses on units that were once OTC

lak2004

WKR
I’d like to see Colorado go to draw only for all elk hunting For many seasons.
It's headed that way, hopefully you folks are paying attention to the surveys and meetings going on in the past year. The talks are happening and CPW is asking for input on how to change it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
It's headed that way, hopefully you folks are paying attention to the surveys and meetings going on in the past year. The talks are happening and CPW is asking for input on how to change it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I always return surveys and usually attend meetings here in Grand Junction.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure where I read it but, I seem to remember reading that cows were calving near 100% but many calves were not making past 3 months.
As a non-resident bowhunter, too would like to see all units and seasons go draw only. I would rather draw every other or ever third year or what ever to have a good less crowded hunt.
I personally think the new units going limited was more for CPW to get an extra $108+ dollars per applicant, If it were really an elk population problem all season should be draw. Also don't they still allow unlimited archery cow tags for private land?

sneaky

"DADDY"
You guys may as well enjoy what you can in the next 10-15 years. Wolves WILL change your elk hunting, and there won't be a thing you can do about it. They'll stress cows far worse than hikers or shed hunters. You'll have a window of a few years after they're introduced(officially, not counting what you already have) of fairly average hunting, then you'll begin to see the effects on your elk numbers and behavior.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DeePow

FNG
You guys may as well enjoy what you can in the next 10-15 years. Wolves WILL change your elk hunting, and there won't be a thing you can do about it. They'll stress cows far worse than hikers or shed hunters. You'll have a window of a few years after they're introduced(officially, not counting what you already have) of fairly average hunting, then you'll begin to see the effects on your elk numbers and behavior.

Nice fear mongering. Elk survived before wolves went extinct and have adapted to the reintroduction. Sure it takes time but they’re a natural predator yet based on the fact they’re a keystone species they’re vital to the ecosystem. One aspect many states have floundered in is managing wolf populations, ID is an example. They let the numbers exceed ideal number and then released the stats to “kill” 90% of the population. While necessary this is not good press while simultaneously creating easy propaganda

Either way, you have a draw that everyone who puts in gets, what was the point?
CPW can now see exactly how many people are hunting the units whereas before they could only estimate. That's my best guess anyway.

I think it also greatly reduces the amount of people who either forget to apply or don't bother and then pick up OTC tags at the last minute. I talk to people like this every fall so I know quite a few of them exist.

jrfelkins

FNG
This bit me in the butt this year. I hadn't hunted CO in a few years and wasn't paying attention. I thought I could just get OTC tags and go hunt. Nope! Paying my stupid tax and having to learn a new spot. So much of the data online is about draw odds. I want, bull/cow data, %public, # of hunters, success rates etc. Is go hunt the best for that? I can't find what I'm looking for in CO's site but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Data that no one considers is that over the past 10 years otc archery tag sales increased by 100%. Had to start being limited.
2nd and 3rd otc rifle tags have decreased statewide by 20%. No reason to try and limit what is limiting itself in the statewide otc units. No way to track where folks hunt and Every dollar counts.
Another thing to note is that the limited archery in the 70’s this year was allocated as high as 80% to non residents this draw. Residents don’t apply for/hunt these units. It’s sad and a shitshow. I personally haven’t bow hunted within a 100 miles of durango since my last 6x in 2017 and that was 76. I refuse. The herd is hurting. As a guide of 15 years here, I’ve seen it during multiple seasons every year. I want people to hunt and be successful, but in a lot of cases folks don’t hire guides anymore. Seasons don’t fill up in camp. Who needs it when you can just meat eater your way through any real learning curve. I limit my guiding to limited units only now. No otc.

Saying all that. The change in tag allocation might help the herds down here, just based on the fact we end up with a 90/10 res/non res split and they keep that continuity going for the leftover draws. It would almost be a complete rollover in how hunting works in the SW and probably statewide.
I prefer stewardship, not slaughter. Residents (for the most part) do a great job of understanding what that actually is.

Last edited:

jkilburg

FNG
I talked to a CPW who covers GMU 65, and according to her since the nearby units went draw, 65 has seen a substantial growth in elk hunting traffic. Although units may get the same amount of limited permits at 0pts, people get deterred by the draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrYker33

FNG
I talked to a CPW who covers GMU 65, and according to her since the nearby units went draw, 65 has seen a substantial growth in elk hunting traffic. Although units may get the same amount of limited permits at 0pts, people get deterred by the draw.

What about the draw deters folks? They'll usually get the once OTC tags anyway.

jkilburg

FNG
What about the draw deters folks? They'll usually get the once OTC tags anyway.

Point creep. You will get more units which are harder to draw due to the number of folks just buying points. Sure, there will still be some 100% draw units at 0pts, but in general, there will be far less people out and about.