The Elusive Coues

Last year I got a taste of hunting Coues. Previously I never saw the allure of hunting them. I went hunting with full intentions of stalking desert mulies. Nothing shakes me up as much as a 30” 300# mule deer. I think because I spot them from so far off and have too much time to think as I attempt to get into position.

But last year while glassing I spotted some deer with that cheap azz spotting scope about 1000 yards away under some junipers when they stood up to reposition to the shady side. I thought I was going after a mule deer buck at that point. So i cautiously make my way over and an hour later I was ready to make my final approach which took another 2 hours in the dry crunchy desert terrain.

then out of nowhere there he is! Seemingly he appeared from thin air walking parallel and would be broadside in a few steps. And he had no idea I had ranged him and drew my bow! Then the unthinkable happens. I used the wrong pin and shot over him!

I had several other stalking opportunities but either got winded, seen or heard on my approach. But what fun that was! Don’t get me wrong, I’d still love to kill a monster mulie some day, but I’d also love to kill a Coues buck!

All that being said, tell me about your successes and or failed attempts and tactics.

I have had no luck stalking coues bucks, but have tried many times!

Leaving Ak in January to go to Mexico has been great the last year, I plan to again. Sitting water of course is the most effective. No guarantee on a trophy as its weather dependent, and I have had bad luck on that too!

here is my last day basket buck from last year
C56E2C9F-FE36-45DB-A0F3-DE6519456D63.jpeg

BBob

WKR
Glass, glass, and glass some more. Matter of fact my morning session is in a lull and I'll be back at it here as soon as I put the phone away and make a cup of coffee ;)

A friend kills archery almost every year sitting water. He's far more patient than I.

Coues general opener is tomorrow AM so get out and find those bucks! :)

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Coues deer hunting is the most fun you can have with pants on! I went the last two years, but didn't draw this year. Glassing like crazy all day long is an effective strategy, as is sitting water. Last year my brother went with me and we made multiple stalks on bucks each day we were hunting, I shot a couple 3x3 bucks with eye guards over the last two years, and my brother got a spike sitting water last year.

1634350579172.jpeg
2019 Buck

1634350643437.jpeg
2020 Buck

HbDane

WKR
I can't wait to go after some coues because of how sneaky they are. My friend who has the best luck in the world went on his first coues hunt, shot a 4x4 30 minutes after shooting light on his first day. But he also basically did the exact same thing for his miley and elk when he moved to CO. I'm telling you he has the best luck when it comes to hunting.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider

smby

FNG

Rackmastr

WKR
They sure look fun to hunt! I hope to head down to AZ in a year or two and hunt. I should have a few deer bonus points by then.