The evolution of hunting the backcountry... Have you noticed it?

predator hunting is a good example,

A-fricken-men!

Five times the people out calling predators than there was ten years ago. Everyone thinks its something "new". Everyone has a foxpro, a predator hunting DVD, and maybe a clue.

When I first started, I used to get laughed at when asking permission to hunt coyotes, "you actually go after those things on purpose?"

I largely blame the bastradization and hyper commercialization of it all. Just doing it isnt enough anymore, everyone needs to make money or become famous for it. Ultimately, this will be the end of hunting as we know it.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
I largely blame the bastradization and hyper commercialization of it all. Just doing it isnt enough anymore, everyone needs to make money or become famous for it. Ultimately, this will be the end of hunting as we know it.

+1
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coyote Commander I largely blame the bastradization and hyper commercialization of it all. Just doing it isnt enough anymore said:
I agree but also think you cannot have enough people out after them to help keep them in check

Ill also add, I keep hearing "hunter numbers are down, hunter numbers are down". But I aint seeing it.

Ive never seen as many hunters as I have over the last few years. Doesnt matter for what, waterfowl, upland, big game, they're everywhere. And things like bowhunting and predator specifically have grown ten fold since the advent of things like the Internet and Outdoor channel. So its not only backcountry hunting that has gained numbers, from what I see afield, most all forms of hunting have grown substantially.

Ive also seen the negative side to the new ultra commercialized, super competitive world that is modern hunting. And it scares the hell out of me for the future of it. In fact, its a part of why I moved recently.

I agree but also think you cannot have enough people out after them to help keep them in check

Are you referring to coyotes?

If so, id rather have ONE guy that knows what he's doing rather than 100 rookies that just got their shiny new foxpro. The WORST thing to have for coyote control is everyone and their mother out there tooting at them (ever wonder why we have so many coyotes still even with everyone out after them???). That I promise you. Hunting, for coyote control, is the absolute worst method anyway. Doesnt amount to a spit in the ocean.

But I digress, thats off subject.

I blame it on Cam Hanes. Lol. Years ago no one talked about it. Now everyone and their brother is hunting the "backcountry"

Oh we'll now everyone can go in deep and I will kill the critters that are close to the road! Ha

littlebuf

Banned
Books? Internet? Nope. The credit goes to Technological advancement and Uncle Sam. Without all of the satellites orbiting the earth providing info for G P S! few people would venture so far off the road. Some sure. It would take a long time to get to know one area, let alone a half dozen. It seems like the majority of people in the wilderness these days are still plugged in to the 'outside' world.

I suspect G P S along with less disposable income in our economy has made it hard on outfitters.

and I got flamed for my comment in the google earth thread...

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
I should look up the google
Earth thread. I've missed a lot
Lately. Apparently no one agrees with me. I would like to see the thread about no mountain house replaced with no electronics. I suspect it would not get much interest.