The factors that make you deadly with a stick

Beendare

WKR
Gotta be some stone cold killers with a stick bow here.......

Wide open topic;
What are the factors that you think are important?

what are some of the keys to your successes?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
In my case;

There are so many things that can screw you up shooting a stick bow...its not even funny.

But I think I turned a corner when I went to a reliable aiming system...and I had the confidence that I was going to drill that animal....is where it changed for me.

The confidence came from all of the practice sessions of course......and I work on a shot process in practice sessions...but when I'm hunting....I try not to think about all that stuff.....I just focus on the spot and let it Flow.

______

A.Hutch

FNG
There are so many things that can screw you up shooting a stick bow...its not even funny. ......

Absolutely!!! the moment you think you might miss, you've missed already.
Confidence is a major factor.
practice alone doesnt make you a good shot, perfect practice..... solid form, without it you have no foundation to build on. For me, that right there has been a game changer.

Hutch

Cove-Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Form, well tuned equipment, aiming method and lots of practice. Those 4 will create confidence.

Set your self up for some slam dunk shots on animals with your traditional equipment, getting some animals on the ground will breed even more confidence.

don't shoot at keyed up critters!

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shooting trad for 20+ years exclusively. The biggest issue for most is bad shooting form, and bad form comes from trying to shoot too much weight. We all go through it, thinking we “need” to shoot 60+ for big game. You don’t. Not to preach, but the only thing a heavy draw weight does is make you tired quicker and FUBAR your shoulders later in life. I know for a fact an arrow from a 42 lb recurve will shoot clean through a large deer at 25 yds and stick in the ground on the other side. Done it several times.
Do yourself a favor if you’re struggling and drop your draw weight 15-25% and work on your form. You’ll enjoy shooting more and you’re accuracy will definitely improve.

I think there are two main things that have made me effective with a stick bow:
1. Confidence in your shot. I busted my butt for years to get to a place with my shot process and mechanics where I am absolutely sure I will make the shot provided I get the range right. I don't hope I can make a good shot. I know exactly what a perfect shot feels like, and more importantly, how to execute it.

2. I talk my way through the shot scenario as it develops. This is easier on deer and elk than on hogs, but I am in the moment, talking to myself about when to draw, where to aim, remembering to expand through the shot. I make conscious decisions until the shot is away. I remember all of my trad kills and the 30 seconds leading up to the arrow flight usually feels like 5 minutes in my memory. I don't know how I developed that skill, but I seem to have it.

Caveat, fast moving creatures can throw me off a bit.

A.Hutch

FNG
Good stuff!!!

I remember my very first bow kill. Practiced most of the first half of the year with a brand new compound, got really good with it. went by the local pawn/sporting goods store, I came to know the owners son pretty decent. well, he had just bought off a guy this older grizzly recurve. he only wanted $40. And it just spoke to me, Infact, I never picked up that $1100 compound after that. Practiced a lot! picked up what Info i could off the inter web. Deer season rolls around. I'm lookin for the first volunteer to cross my path. I'm not really being all that stealthy, but still trying hard to be like a ninja right, I look up in front of me, not 15 yrds, There's this spike, He eyeballs me, you could see his thought process, literally, He says "OH SHIT"! Starts running to my right, I've got an arrows knocked, fingers on the string. The only thought I can honestly remember...."KILL IT!!!!" I pivot, draw, release... not real sure if I even hit anchor. Anyhow, That arrow flies. Hits exactly where I remember my focus point was. Perfect heart shot!!!
NOT!!! Hit him in the forward portion of his hams/rear guts. Next thought through my head " I #@$^%* up!!"
Ok, well, gotta track him regardless! followed his path, looking for blood. a few specs, mostly able to follow him by tore up ground, fortunately. Found the back half of my arrow, AND BLOOD!! I'm pumped, still worried though. A few more paces, find the front half, opposite side of the trail. AND LOTSA BLOOD!!! I look around and there he is, dead as can be. What's the point of this?? Nuthin really, just thought i'd share.

Hutch

I think confidence in your shot process is key. Lots of perfect practice and reps will get that. I only shoot one arrow at a time instead of groups so that i can reflect on how it went when I am retrieving it. I also move around alot and aim at different spots on the target everyshot. I shoot instinctive out to 40 and that method has given me the confidence to kill anything from 30 and in. Consistant form is a huge factor.

LostArra

WKR
Amen on the aiming system and shot sequence.

I don't qualify as a stone cold killer but two things that help me are the ability to get close and seeing plenty of game year round so you get over any anxiety of being close. If you play the wind reasonably well then it's movement that busts you. Knowing when to draw and when not to draw is a skill that is learned and invaluable.

I think some elk shots are blown after someone hunts there ass off for 5 days seeing nothing then on day 6 they finally find themselves with an opportunity and rush it or take the shot outside their effective range.

FLS

WKR
The difference between killers and everyone else is the ability to focus and know when the shot presents itself. I’m not thinking about shot sequence, form, etc because all that has been worked out well before. When the time comes I know I’m going to kill that animal. Call it being in the zone, your fangs pop out, whatever. You know it when it happens. Same with a bow, or a gun, it doesn’t matter. I know lots of people that go hunting, lots of people that shoot bows well, I only know a handful of killers.

Last edited:
It really comes down to do you hunt? Or talk about hunting. Most guys that kill a ton of animals do so because they're out there and could use a straw and a dart from the local bar to kill stuff consistently.

Let's not fool ourselves, most guys after 3 days by themselves, or with friends are ready to go home. The other 1/3 of "most guys" don't even understand what it takes to find, and get close to animals in order to put an arrow into it.

I became a lot more deadly with a "stick" once I found better places to hunt. The average shot distance with my recurve or longbow over the past 20 years has been about 7-8 yards. That's no exaggeration. I've shot several deer and pigs literally under my tree.

This 250+ lb. boar was a long shot. About 12 yards. ;) Drilled him right through the pumphouse and he only went 60 yards. That spot of blood behind his shoulder is where the broadhead exited, if that gives you an idea of the shot angle. My stand was only 12' up. That was public land btw.

Consistently getting close is the "secret" to becoming a killer with a stickbow. You want them within "chip shot" distance so there is no question in your mind where the arrow is going when it's go time.

14902876_1072695272828995_9092192150648121734_o.jpg

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
The difference between killers and everyone else is the ability to focus and know when the shot presents itself. I’m not thinking about shot sequence, form, etc because all that has been worked out well before. When the time comes I know I’m going to kill that animal. Call it being in the zone, your fangs pop out, whatever. You know it when it happens. Same with a bow, or a gun, it doesn’t matter. I know lots of people that go hunting, lots of people that shoot bows well, I only know a handful of killers.

What a great post^...thx for chiming in.....

___

If you can't shoot them better, shoot them closer!

Can you drill this big chest at 5 yards?....

qnPFWqMl.jpg

This dude was 4 feet from my bow hand when I dropped the string:

tCM069ml.jpg

I killed 3 deer and a coyote in 2 consecutive morning sits. The cumulative shot distance was about 29 yards.

0HnEd0Hl.jpg

I consider myself to be an average shot and capable hunter. I'm by no means a stone cold killer.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Consistently getting close is the "secret" to becoming a killer with a stickbow. You want them within "chip shot" distance so there is no question in your mind where the arrow is going when it's go time.
So true^....hunting with a stick is not walking around rifle hunting with a bow....its a different mentality altogether.

_____

A.Hutch

FNG
Kevin, I had a spot picked the moment I seen the pic!! Damn, This is getting me pumped!! my wife is gonna be pissed....LOL!

Hutch

I believe if we're honest we acknowledge that being a good, consistently successful bowhunter (referring to stickbows here) requires two things: Excellent accuracy at our typical shot distances, and having the ability to somehow get those closer or shorter shot distances we prefer. But even then, there's the challenge of taking those skills and actually using them to bring home home the meat. That's the mostly-mental game which is very hard to practice but must be mastered in order to be successful on a consistent basis. There's no formula for it, but the more you do it the more familiar you become with it.

You've got good accuracy with your hunting gear. You're getting good, desirable animals in to close range. You can smack a beer can at 20 yards but something seems to go haywire with animals at the moment of truth. What is it?

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve always been able to get close regardless of weapon. I spent lots of time as a kid putting the sneak on anything I could find that would let me. I blew a lot of opportunities early on on shots I could have taken but I always wanted to try and get closer or just to see how close I could get. I also think learning about your equipment, learning to tune, practicing, admitting to yourself what you did wrong in practice or in a hunt situation and learning from that, staying humble.......all of it. I’m a one bow guy. I like to find one I like and shoot the piss out of it. I like to learn the feel, the draw.....all of it. For me having too many bows is a distraction. I know most guys will disagree with me on that but that’s my choice and not theirs. Regardless.......shooting stuff with a stickbow is crazy fun!!!

Attachments

• 31458318-F4ED-47D8-8821-444A67694928.jpeg
    31458318-F4ED-47D8-8821-444A67694928.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 07431247-4DEB-473B-BBDF-9A657F32B46D.jpeg
    07431247-4DEB-473B-BBDF-9A657F32B46D.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 57
  • 59E2A0F5-D2E0-486E-BEBF-DED956E5D23D.jpeg
    59E2A0F5-D2E0-486E-BEBF-DED956E5D23D.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 781FB74A-643B-4D47-BF2C-1458BC6014D7.jpeg
    781FB74A-643B-4D47-BF2C-1458BC6014D7.jpeg