The first time. Tell us about yours.

jog

FNG
The first time I shot a trad bow and everything came together was an unforgettable moment. I recall where I was, who was there, the bow, everything.
Up to that point shooting a trad bow was something akin to mystery. Sure, I knew you pulled on the string, kept the arrow from falling off the rest. But the whole process was so new, so unusual, that I had no idea what was "correct" and what was idiocy. It felt kinda weird. I had no benchmark for what a good shot should feel like. I had no basis for what felt right, or should feel right, and what would feel wrong.
But I told myself not to over think it. I sent arrows down range and tried to be relaxed. I knew I should "pick a spot". I trusted, eventually, my body/brain would connect.
Then it happened. I drew my bow, concentrated on the target, on "the spot" and the next thing that happened was an arrow gracefully entered my sight picture, arching ever so magestically through space and dead centered the spot I was concentrating on.
OMG!!!
It was an epiphany, a touch down, a first kiss, a job well done, all in one!

I have NEVER looked back. I was home.
62044CAB-52DC-4F20-8130-830C726A1961.jpeg

ScottinPA

WKR
I've been shooting "trad" since I was 3-4, I'm 53 now, so I never had the "a-hah" moment. That said I saw it finally come together with my oldest son this summer. He'd been shooting trad and wheels since he was 4-5 (22 this year) but the trad thing never really worked, wasn't good enough that I'd let him hunt. This year, for whatever reason it happened and he's been shooting really well since. While he hasn't killed with it yet I've no doubt he will. As a Dad, it was cool seeing it come together. His younger brother on the other hand seems to have it naturally, time will tell. Soccer was his priority this year.

Rob5589

WKR
Recently just started getting serious with a single string. So far it's frustratingly fun, if that makes any sense. Golfers will know what I mean o_O

I'm still waiting on that moment I guess.

But I still vividly remember that pigeon I finally got years and years ago. It was closer than any I had ever gotten to shoot at and it was just a draw and shoot.

That dern arrow actually went where I was looking.

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations.. Well those are really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

I think about that line a lot, most of the time I just try to stay happy about the fact I'm able to do something, forget about the suck at it part.

Rick653

FNG
For me, I think the moment was when I figured out my consistent anchor points. Thumb under the ear, middle finger in the corner of the mouth, and nose to the feather. Bang! Just like that my groups close in considerably. I smoked a rabbit at just under 20 yards the other day from my tree stand. I'm hooked but know I can definitely improve

2muchhp

WKR
My son and I shoot trad
Two years ago I connected with a nice doe at 15 yrds with my 70s bear grizzly.My first with a recurve, nothing quite like it. When he razzes me about being a better shot I show him the picture on my phone . He has yet to connect.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm searching for that feeling again.

I hunted small game with cheap fibreglass bow and arrows as a kid, knocking over many rabbits, hedgehogs, quail, pigeons, possums and the odd eel.
However as soon as I could, I got a .22lr rifle and started using that as I loved the accuracy and range, plus guns are cool 😁

Now I'm here a few decades later, starting again with a nice recurve and while it feels like my body remembers what to do, my groups show I'm starting from square 1 again and I'm loving the challenge.👍

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still waiting on that moment I guess.

But I still vividly remember that pigeon I finally got years and years ago. It was closer than any I had ever gotten to shoot at and it was just a draw and shoot.

That dern arrow actually went where I was looking.

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations.. Well those are really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

I think about that line a lot, most of the time I just try to stay happy about the fact I'm able to do something, forget about the suck at it part.

I like that quote. Good words to live by.

Wasn’t a trad bow per say, but it was a youth compound of some kind. First bow I ever had. Shot it instinctive. I will never forget the day I drew it back and flung an arrow at about 50 yards (really stupid for a 25lb bow with a barn as a backstop) and center punched the old square bale I spray painted a bullseye on. It’s the earliest moment I can remember in my archery career and I will never forget it.