The FUN part!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I still remember my first bull. The excitement, the shaking, the disbelief standing over it. Unfortunately that feeling is no longer there. Just like anything else, the newness seems to fade and while I eat and breathe elk hunting it just isn’t the same as it was on the first hunt.

That being said, I figured out how to get it back. Taking someone on their first hunt and being there for their kill brings back all that excitement.

Anybody else have any fun first time stories?

@Stephmae, remember this?

“I GOT AN ELK!!!!”

I was telling my kids this weekend (whitetail hunting) i am a better guide than a hunter.
While i dont believe that 100%, i do seem to enjoy watching people get excited over the hunt as much as i do. I enjoyed watching my daighter giggle in the stand watching a bunch of WT doe running after each other bullying each other over the last morsels of corn on the ground. She also enjoyed the fawns prancing around acting like kids. That made what would have been a otherwise dull hint more enjoyable for sure.

Haha man o man I can't wait for my lady to tag out.
She has had a few experiences tho.
2 years ago I had already filled my deer tag and was cow calling thru an area just to cover our crunchy steps. Looked for her a deer as I had been seeing some there.
Well a 5 point bull runs up the hill 35 yards broadside. I miss range and shoot over.
They bull runs between her and I like 10 yards from each of us. As I'm trying to knock another arrow i look up and see her face, mouth gaping open and almost burst into laughter.

Last yr she missed a bull at 9 yards.
This yr one string jumped and gut shot it at 10
Could never find it.

The problem is she really only want to do archery and calling.

Un believable how hard she out works most men.
I can't wait.
20200927_172813.jpg

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Haha man o man I can't wait for my lady to tag out.
She has had a few experiences tho.
2 years ago I had already filled my deer tag and was cow calling thru an area just to cover our crunchy steps. Looked for her a deer as I had been seeing some there.
Well a 5 point bull runs up the hill 35 yards broadside. I miss range and shoot over.
They bull runs between her and I like 10 yards from each of us. As I'm trying to knock another arrow i look up and see her face, mouth gaping open and almost burst into laughter.

Last yr she missed a bull at 9 yards.
This yr one string jumped and gut shot it at 10
Could never find it.

The problem is she really only want to do archery and calling.

Un believable how hard she out works most men.
I can't wait.
View attachment 245024

that’s awesome! We take for granted how much we’ve learned from hunting for a very long time. Last year Steph missed 3 elk. She definitely settled down this year. But still managed to shoot a tree. By some miracle the bull didn’t run off and she was able to seal the deal a few moments later.

The first one is always the hardest!

My nephew is a city kid that really enjoyed going hunting with us when he was young. Once he was 14 we took him on a mule deer hunt, long walk in, not what he was expecting. We found an average Muley and he decided he wanted to take it. 150yds, downhill but with a small opening to shoot through, just the vitals. I started on a “relax, aim here” pitch and he just said, “hey, I got it”. Second later he hit right at the shoulder crease, deer buckled in place. Great first muley and exciting to see him get hooked. I’m taking him elk hunting next year.