The Glock 20 is ugly & now pointless 😁

BjornF16

Well Known Rokslider
I can't imagine taking a proper grip and having an issue with the safety.
Seriously...How do you screw that up?
Each time I’ve seen or experienced it on XDM was from draw to immediate engagement.

I’ve never experienced the issue with a 1911.

Reactions: TFP

ScreamingPotato

Well Known Rokslider
^^ hell if a bear is chewing me up or I'm shot up I may not have any fingers left and want to be able to shoot it with my pinky toe if I have to, don't want anything stopping me.

Wyobohunter

Well Known Rokslider
Each time I’ve seen or experienced it on XDM was from draw to immediate engagement.

I’ve never experienced the issue with a 1911.
I don’t doubt that you caused this to happen... somehow. I just never have. 😉

TFP

The Tanfoglio / EAA witness looks great but is a bit spendy.
Not too long ago, they were available for $400. There are a ton of them out there, and the base models were quite popular with reloaders for a time. Good guns, but looks like the used market is where you'll have to find one.

OdinIII

That’s when it happens. Imperfect grip when you really want it to go bang now. I could easily see how you could have an imperfect grip if you need to use a pistol for self defense.

There is a reason why most grip safeties are disabled in competition pistols.

Reactions: TFP

BjornF16

Well Known Rokslider
That’s when it happens. Imperfect grip when you really want it to go bang now. I could easily see how you could have an imperfect grip if you need to use a pistol for self defense.

There is a reason why most grip safeties are disabled in competition pistols.
I think it is/was a two-fold issue with what I saw with XDM...

1. The defensive shooting course I was in was teaching taking a very high grip (to assist with recoil management)

2. The XDM has a pretty significant curve to the backstrap unlike the 1911.

Taking a high, imperfect grip exacerbated by the curve was failing to disengage the safety. Didn't happen every time...but enough that I steered away from that platform.

But I do like my two 10mm 1911's...Colt and Kimber

Last edited:

Wyobohunter

Well Known Rokslider
I think it is/was a two-fold issue with what I saw with XDM...

1. The defensive shooting course I was in was teaching taking a very high grip (to assist with recoil management)

2. The XDM has a pretty significant curve to the backstrap unlike the 1911.

Taking a high, imperfect grip exacerbated by the curve was failing to disengage the safety. Didn't happen every time...but enough that I steered away from that platform.

But I do like my two 10mm 1911's...Colt and SA
I believe that you experienced this. I just can’t figure how. I guess I’ll have to keep practicing my draw from the holster to dry fire until I either figure it’s just you or learn the cause. It hasn’t happened yet 🤷‍♀️

TFP

I believe that you experienced this. I just can’t figure how. I guess I’ll have to keep practicing my draw from the holster to dry fire until I either figure it’s just you or learn the cause. It hasn’t happened yet 🤷‍♀️
I've seen it happen in classes. Certainly not to everyone, but frequently enough that it's a well known issue in those communities.

Wyobohunter

Well Known Rokslider
I've seen it happen in classes. Certainly not to everyone, but frequently enough that it's a well known issue in those communities.
I’ve shot several USPSA matches and have not seen it happen. I couldn’t tell you if the grip safeties were disabled or not as I had no reason to ask. I used either my 1911 or my Sig P226.

I just can’t fathom how a person is able to grab the grip without depressing the grip safety. Unless they are grabbing the slide instead of the grip 😉

Here ya go… Ayoob has ya covered.

I can’t say I will not sell my XD for one of the new Sigs. It depends on several things, weight being a big one. I don’t intend to… If I do it will have nothing to do with the grip safety.

Last edited:

BjornF16

Well Known Rokslider
To be clear, I am in no way knocking the reliability of the XD series. My only point, to which Ayoob makes a mention, is improper grip (for the XD) which could cause the grip safety to not disengage.

I had an XD-S for a while…the only .45 ACP I’ve ever owned. Never had a problem in a very controlled firing line where I had all the time in the world to get a proper grip…and I actually was impressed with the way it shot (more accurate than my stock Glocks and it did a good job of taming recoil).

I don’t shoot thousands of rounds in practice and I don’t compete. It went to new home after the classes I took as I had no issues with the Glocks, Sigs or 1911s.

I just don’t want it to happen in a stressful situation when I need it most, whether it’s for 2 legged critters or 4.

Ymmv

I am glad to see more 10mm offerings. I’m debating whether to carry my G20 in Montana during my elk hunt or go with my Kimber 1911. I don’t particularly like the Glock grip angles which is why my EDC gun is a Sig.

Last edited:

OdinIII

I’ve got several buddies who compete with 1911’s and we’re at about 50% pinned vs unpinned.

Personally, I’d shot thousands of rounds through .45 and 10mm 1911’s with no issues when I decided to give it a go in USPSA Single Stack and bought a $300 rig and new 9mm 1911. I spent a couple months trying to train through but never got much better than 90% success rate on under 1 second draws where the gun would fire. A high grip and riding the safety would put upward pressure on the beaver tail portion of the safety and deactivate it. Slowing down to 1.2 made it almost 100%. Obviously, I could have worked around the issue but decided to go back to a Glock where I don’t have to think about the gun and can focus on stage execution.

BjornF16

Well Known Rokslider
Nice Delta Elite. I don’t know why but I just like the Colts.
Shot all three (Colt, Kimber, Glock) this weekend...I really like shooting them all. A little more muzzle rise from the 1911's compared to the Glock.

My Glock is with g/s getting a Holosun Vulcan red dot sight installed. IF I like that setup, it will likely accompany me to Montana for elk/deer/bear hunt this September...

Edit: Hat tip to @toehead for the Holosun RDS: #6

Last edited:

Debo75

I appreciate that Sig is trying to fill more niche demands.... But I hope this isn't a situation where you buy it, and six months later they release a Gen 2 fixing all the gripes the early buyers made :-/