The Glock 20 is ugly & now pointless šŸ˜

BjornF16

WKR
I can't imagine taking a proper grip and having an issue with the safety.
Seriously...How do you screw that up?
Each time Iā€™ve seen or experienced it on XDM was from draw to immediate engagement.

Iā€™ve never experienced the issue with a 1911.

Reactions: TFP
^^ hell if a bear is chewing me up or I'm shot up I may not have any fingers left and want to be able to shoot it with my pinky toe if I have to, don't want anything stopping me.

Each time Iā€™ve seen or experienced it on XDM was from draw to immediate engagement.

Iā€™ve never experienced the issue with a 1911.
I donā€™t doubt that you caused this to happen... somehow. I just never have. šŸ˜‰

TFP

FNG
The Tanfoglio / EAA witness looks great but is a bit spendy.
Not too long ago, they were available for $400. There are a ton of them out there, and the base models were quite popular with reloaders for a time. Good guns, but looks like the used market is where you'll have to find one.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider

Thatā€™s when it happens. Imperfect grip when you really want it to go bang now. I could easily see how you could have an imperfect grip if you need to use a pistol for self defense.

There is a reason why most grip safeties are disabled in competition pistols.

Reactions: TFP

BjornF16

WKR
Thatā€™s when it happens. Imperfect grip when you really want it to go bang now. I could easily see how you could have an imperfect grip if you need to use a pistol for self defense.

There is a reason why most grip safeties are disabled in competition pistols.
I think it is/was a two-fold issue with what I saw with XDM...

1. The defensive shooting course I was in was teaching taking a very high grip (to assist with recoil management)

2. The XDM has a pretty significant curve to the backstrap unlike the 1911.

Taking a high, imperfect grip exacerbated by the curve was failing to disengage the safety. Didn't happen every time...but enough that I steered away from that platform.

But I do like my two 10mm 1911's...Colt and Kimber

Last edited:
I think it is/was a two-fold issue with what I saw with XDM...

1. The defensive shooting course I was in was teaching taking a very high grip (to assist with recoil management)

2. The XDM has a pretty significant curve to the backstrap unlike the 1911.

Taking a high, imperfect grip exacerbated by the curve was failing to disengage the safety. Didn't happen every time...but enough that I steered away from that platform.

But I do like my two 10mm 1911's...Colt and SA
I believe that you experienced this. I just canā€™t figure how. I guess Iā€™ll have to keep practicing my draw from the holster to dry fire until I either figure itā€™s just you or learn the cause. It hasnā€™t happened yet šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

TFP

FNG
I believe that you experienced this. I just canā€™t figure how. I guess Iā€™ll have to keep practicing my draw from the holster to dry fire until I either figure itā€™s just you or learn the cause. It hasnā€™t happened yet šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I've seen it happen in classes. Certainly not to everyone, but frequently enough that it's a well known issue in those communities.

I've seen it happen in classes. Certainly not to everyone, but frequently enough that it's a well known issue in those communities.
Iā€™ve shot several USPSA matches and have not seen it happen. I couldnā€™t tell you if the grip safeties were disabled or not as I had no reason to ask. I used either my 1911 or my Sig P226.

I just canā€™t fathom how a person is able to grab the grip without depressing the grip safety. Unless they are grabbing the slide instead of the grip šŸ˜‰

Here ya goā€¦ Ayoob has ya covered.

I canā€™t say I will not sell my XD for one of the new Sigs. It depends on several things, weight being a big one. I donā€™t intend toā€¦ If I do it will have nothing to do with the grip safety.

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
To be clear, I am in no way knocking the reliability of the XD series. My only point, to which Ayoob makes a mention, is improper grip (for the XD) which could cause the grip safety to not disengage.

I had an XD-S for a whileā€¦the only .45 ACP Iā€™ve ever owned. Never had a problem in a very controlled firing line where I had all the time in the world to get a proper gripā€¦and I actually was impressed with the way it shot (more accurate than my stock Glocks and it did a good job of taming recoil).

I donā€™t shoot thousands of rounds in practice and I donā€™t compete. It went to new home after the classes I took as I had no issues with the Glocks, Sigs or 1911s.

I just donā€™t want it to happen in a stressful situation when I need it most, whether itā€™s for 2 legged critters or 4.

Ymmv

I am glad to see more 10mm offerings. Iā€™m debating whether to carry my G20 in Montana during my elk hunt or go with my Kimber 1911. I donā€™t particularly like the Glock grip angles which is why my EDC gun is a Sig.

Last edited:

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
Iā€™ve got several buddies who compete with 1911ā€™s and weā€™re at about 50% pinned vs unpinned.

Personally, Iā€™d shot thousands of rounds through .45 and 10mm 1911ā€™s with no issues when I decided to give it a go in USPSA Single Stack and bought a $300 rig and new 9mm 1911. I spent a couple months trying to train through but never got much better than 90% success rate on under 1 second draws where the gun would fire. A high grip and riding the safety would put upward pressure on the beaver tail portion of the safety and deactivate it. Slowing down to 1.2 made it almost 100%. Obviously, I could have worked around the issue but decided to go back to a Glock where I donā€™t have to think about the gun and can focus on stage execution.

BjornF16

WKR
Nice Delta Elite. I donā€™t know why but I just like the Colts.
Shot all three (Colt, Kimber, Glock) this weekend...I really like shooting them all. A little more muzzle rise from the 1911's compared to the Glock.

My Glock is with g/s getting a Holosun Vulcan red dot sight installed. IF I like that setup, it will likely accompany me to Montana for elk/deer/bear hunt this September...

Edit: Hat tip to @toehead for the Holosun RDS: #6

Last edited:

Debo75

FNG
I appreciate that Sig is trying to fill more niche demands.... But I hope this isn't a situation where you buy it, and six months later they release a Gen 2 fixing all the gripes the early buyers made :-/