The Golden Triangle

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
After not recovering a bull this year on what seemed like a slam dunk shot, (You may have read the other thread describing all of that) I need to put much more emphasis on the anatomy of any game that I pursue. I’ve heard folks talk about the Golden Triangle before on occasion but honesty haven’t researched it much beyond that.

So, let’s hear about that Golden Triangle shot. what’s your favorite shot angle for it? Why do you like this shot over just settling the pin behind the shoulder and sending it? Anyone have any good diagrams showing the Golden Triangle?

I’ve been pursuing Elk with archery and muzzleloader equipment for a decade now and have yet to cut a tag. It’s not been for lack of effort or lack of close encounters. Man have I had some good days of Elk hunting! I shot a Cow back in 2014 with my bow but hit her very, very high after overestimating the range on a steep downhill shot. I found the arrow, but It was covered in fat. There was not a drop of blood to be found and as such, I was unsuccessful in recovery. The story from this season of what would have been my first Bull can be found in my other thread. 0 for 2 for a decade of effort is a tough pill to swallow. I might only get in 10-15 days of elk hunting per year between early and late season hunts. The ability to capitalize on opportunities cannot be taken lightly.

I have an extreme amount of respect for these animals and I know I can, and will do better going forward. So let’s hear about that Golden Triangle. If you have another shot you prefer, let’s hear about that as well.

Thanks,

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a tight to the leg shot. Center of leg, follow up 1/3 and you’re in it. I’ve been guilty of shooting there on deer and have lost a couple. I just don’t feel it’s needed as your room for error isn’t all that great. I will say it’s devastating.

Elk are much bigger, room for error is greater per say, but I now shoot everything a hand width off the crease. It just gives you room for error and is a solid double lung hit.

Just need to keep that in mind next month.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
Most guys shoot too high on Elk. The lower half is where you want to put your bullet/arrow, and through the ribs. No need to go through the shoulder.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
I likely hit him too high. It seems general consensus so far is 4-5” off the crease and blow the middle elevation wise. With the size of those lungs I’d have to imagine clipped one high at minimum, but I saw no lung blood. I don’t recall thinking after the shot that I hit him high. I remember thinking, “I smoked him!” I’d say that I was likely above middle elevation wise though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a broadside or very near that concept.
Wouldn't use mechanicals either unless you are packing a big punch with your arrow setup.

I'm a believer that the lungs don't go as far back as people think. I try to hold lower 1/3 (theoretical top of the heart) Just inside of the shoulder crease. So I guess I don't hold center of that golden triangle. Just a couple inches off. I've never had bad results hitting this area.
Thing I've seen with this is: Don't hit low. You get into leg bone and sternum real quick.

Wrench

WKR
I'm not sure what this golden triangle is, but my strategy is to visualize where the lungs are and place the trajectory of my projectile through as much of that as possible.

I weigh typical behaviors into this. Elk don't typically go backwards but will go forward or spin. Are they aware of me? Alert? Any terrain features that will influence the exit strategy?

I'm running that thought process regardless of situation or weapons. Doing so keeps me out of the humerus and in tissue that has the best potential to make meat.

Don't beat yourself up too much. I've killed a pile of elk and watched a bull walk off with a broadhead in his humerus because I shanked the shot.....we're still humans.

I like the golden triangle... follow the leg up past the elbow, 1/3 of the way up the chest cavity, and send it. It's a broadside shot concept. Animals tend to go down really fast when you get a broadhead in the front half of the chest cavity. I'm no veterinarian, but I think there's a lot more blood vessels in the front end of the chest, so they bleed out faster.

Scoot

WKR
Many times the hit we think is different in reality.

This! Not only are shots often not where people think they were but people's confidence of knowing where they hit is often unrelated to where they actually hit.