The Great Idaho Redistribution

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into 11 guys total on the mountain in three days in 39. 8 of the 11 were from Washington. So no, didn’t notice much of a difference. I’m sure there were less, just wasn’t my experience.

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
Where we hunted we were the minority amongst the residents. Maybe I’m confused but what does NR have to do with anything? Let’s say in 2020 a particular unit for example has allotted 2,000 tags and of those tags 300 are NR then in 2021 with the same allotment of 2,000 tags but decreased NR to 200 wouldn’t the that unit have the same number of hunter?

mwebs

WKR
For sure less, NR in the unit we hunted but saw way more local plates.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve renamed Idaho to the road hunter capital of the west. Utah and Idaho plates everywhere. Even places they aren’t allowed to go with signs clearly marked.

KID

FNG
Seemed to be less pressure in 10 a. But it's not a trophy unit just an OTC unit to get out there when you don't draw a tag. Still gets hammered by residents. I think most non residents that give this unit a chance are one and done because it's not the best hunting experience. People come in waves though so might take a couple seasons to get an accurate assessment.

brn2hnt

WKR
Where we hunted we were the minority amongst the residents. Maybe I’m confused but what does NR have to do with anything? Let’s say in 2020 a particular unit for example has allotted 2,000 tags and of those tags 300 are NR then in 2021 with the same allotment of 2,000 tags but decreased NR to 200 wouldn’t the that unit have the same number of hunter?

The biggest adjustment was for uncapped units. Now even uncapped units (for R) have a cap for NR of between 10-15% of the running 5 year resident avg.

As such, the NR cap with theoretically go up and up as Idaho’s resident population continues to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Seems to me that most residents of all western states are starting to feel 1 nonresident on their federal lands is too much pressure.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve renamed Idaho to the road hunter capital of the west. Utah and Idaho plates everywhere. Even places they aren’t allowed to go with signs clearly marked.
I noticed in WY many residents road hunt, was way worse then I’ve experienced in CO.

Had a few WY residents ride their UTV’s on closed roads to them and pass us on our horses, nice of WY to make them put a license plate on their utv’s.

Wrench

WKR
I'm the out of state dick that keeps eating your bulls and killing your wolves. I noticed increased pressure on areas that I have typically been alone in.....but I don't believe the tag limits had nearly as much effect as half of the units being off limits to fire and or fire restrictions.

This pushed lots of guys into less area. We still managed to win, but it was not as years past. 2020 was INSANE with the number of people who were out just taking in the beauty.

I hunted two popular OTC zones for the past two years. The pressure and crowding in 2020 was horrible. I'm not exaggerating when I say that we saw 5 nonresident trucks for every 1 resident truck. This is not a complaint, just an observation. This year was far improved with less hunters. Based on numbers I ran, both zones had about 500 less tags sold due to the nonresident caps being put in place. This was definitely noticed in the field and the hunt experience was greatly improved.

Broomd

WKR
Weird year.
We had far less NR presence in our unit overall, and that isn't anecdotal. It was wonderful to enjoy less chaos around here.
My friend (and neighbor) has 4 buds that come every year from the Midwest--they came--and it's the first year they all went home empty handed; didn't kill a single elk. That's never happened before.
I talked with several hunters--even non-reservation ID residents--who avoided our unit due to the huge tribal permit fee increase.

This was far and away the worst season I’ve ever had. I called in hunter after hunter. The ones I talked to were residents. Usually people blow past my spot and go elsewhere, not the case this year. I think all the units closed for fires was the issue.