The greatest threat to elk hunting is:

TheTone

WKR
yup! pretty sickening to witness. Just saw 2 360 bulls killed recently and I am almost positive they were shot on 4-0 land wdfw bought. Guy was a felon just released from prison and shot it with his bow... right and somehow another bull just as big laying next to it in background
We must know some of the same people, especially if you know the archery detail.

Jaquomo

WKR
The biggest threat to elk hunting in CO is the referendum process and ballot box biology. Too easy to get an issue on the ballot, and to convince urban low-information voters to vote with emotion and ignore the biologists. Last year it was wolf forcing, next year they will vote to ban lion hunting. Bears will be next. Big California money funds the campaigns. And we have the governor's husband, a hard core ARA, in charge of recommending appointments to the Commission. Last appointment was a former big league Animal Rights lawyer who was famous for filing lawsuits against state F&G departments. Now he is helping shape wildlife policy.

Colorado is totally screwed.

Huntnnw

WKR
We must know some of the same people, especially if you know the archery detail.
Was posted on fb in a hunt group by the dudes wife. It was deleted and I never saw another pic or post. I was hoping someone woulda screenshot it and posted it.

OP
H
The biggest threat to elk hunting in CO is the referendum process and ballot box biology. Too easy to get an issue on the ballot, and to convince urban low-information voters to vote with emotion and ignore the biologists. Last year it was wolf forcing, next year they will vote to ban lion hunting. Bears will be next. Big California money funds the campaigns. And we have the governor's husband, a hard core ARA, in charge of recommending appointments to the Commission. Last appointment was a former big league Animal Rights lawyer who was famous for filing lawsuits against state F&G departments. Now he is helping shape wildlife policy.

Colorado is totally screwed.
this.

hunters need to band together across state lines and get proactive, get political, teach kids and noobs how to hunt.

sign each others’ petitions:

check out howl for wildlife:

OP
H
this.

hunters need to band together across state lines and get proactive, get political, teach kids and noobs how to hunt.

sign each others’ petitions:

check out howl for wildlife:

Attachments

• BEF98888-4073-44AE-86E0-4EA259B113C0.jpeg
    BEF98888-4073-44AE-86E0-4EA259B113C0.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 30

Wrench

WKR
The internet was the death of everything not far left.

We spend our time enjoying our sport, training researching and little time defending it.....then come the fall/winter when everyone is trapped in the house we post pictures and stories about how much chit we killed.

This was barely on their radar before the net. It sucks, but it's largely self inflicted by our own desires to be considered successful at our craft.

Indoctrination centers (schools we fund!!!) pumping out 10’s of thousands of brainwashed “students” every year who believe all the c**p forced on them. Now they’re the politicians, brain dead zombies in the cities and political appointees that run our Fish and Wildlife departments. Look at Colorado with the reintroduction of the wolf put in place by Denver and Boulder with no concern for the consequences.

CJ19

WKR
Indoctrination centers (schools we fund!!!) pumping out 10’s of thousands of brainwashed “students” every year who believe all the c**p forced on them. Now they’re the politicians, brain dead zombies in the cities and political appointees that run our Fish and Wildlife departments. Look at Colorado with the reintroduction of the wolf put in place by Denver and Boulder with no concern for the consequences.
Absolutely spot on post.

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
I actually think, based on nothing more than my gut, that more and more new wildlife biologists are anti-hunters and they are the ones making recommendations for both federal USFWS and state game departments. They're fine with the OPs scenario - preds kill deer and elk, no need to hunt. Better in the anti-hunter mind for the elk to never exist than to live to be 6 or 7 years old and wind up in a freezer.

Last edited:
this.

Yeah… like the Wyoming Task Force or as I call it the Non Resident Hunter Elimination Club? People like that are a huge threat to hunting. At a time when we need to join together to preserve hunting some people are only thinking about themselves. Greed and selfishness from within our own ranks is as bad or worse than from those on the outside! Careful what you wish for… someday we’ll all need each other.

Lets not forget liberal activist groups whos agenda is closing roads, supporting non native wolf introduction, and green new energy........

Npike4040

FNG
As a new elk hunter and trying to learn all i can, the hate on non-residents is very discouraging. When there are no elk in your home state to hunt there arent any option other than to hunt out of state. Obviously i will research every ounce of info that i can but that only goes so far. Boots on the ground would be the best way to learn a unit but with only 80 hours of vacation a year that just isnt an option. Its a struggle to learn how to find and kill an elk just using the internet but i'm up for a challenge and i WILL find and have a chance to kill an elk on my New Mexico elk hunt this fall! Good luck to all

CoStick

WKR
As a new elk hunter and trying to learn all i can, the hate on non-residents is very discouraging. When there are no elk in your home state to hunt there arent any option other than to hunt out of state. Obviously i will research every ounce of info that i can but that only goes so far. Boots on the ground would be the best way to learn a unit but with only 80 hours of vacation a year that just isnt an option. Its a struggle to learn how to find and kill an elk just using the internet but i'm up for a challenge and i WILL find and have a chance to kill an elk on my New Mexico elk hunt this fall! Good luck to all
You may very well not see a single elk, just don’t leave any trash behind. People resent non-residents based on previous behavior. You have a chance to impact it to the positive.

Gila

WKR
Incompetent politicians with their political agendas that favor a voting base that far too often doesn’t understand the ecology of the mountains. Hunters are and always have been the greatest conservationists because we have a deep love of the wild and the animals that live there. But we are always painted as the “bad guys”. One day I fear our way of life will be gone…
I remember when California ceased hunting cougar. In some areas the deer population took a nosedive. In those areas ranchers then started losing a lot of calves. The young males got kicked out of their range and went into the suburbs, staking children at the bus stops. They were killing joggers off of the trail. There is a balance and when that balance is disrupted, chaos ensues, the eco systems will die and everyone suffers. The cat people travel to all of the Western states and try to get the hunting seasons curtailed.

As far as the wolves go. At least in New Mexico they trapped out most of the Mexican grays and put them in a large wildlife refuge were they can’t mess up too much. There are still some wolves in the Gila but the elk calf recruitment is not suffering that I know of. I don’t know about fawn recruitment. In the last few years what I have seen and heard is that they clean up the wounded elk then leave the area. We need predators but we have boxed in their habitat with our tract homes and so we need to control them. Hunting is the perfect conservation tool for a few reasons one of which it pays for itself.

RMM

WKR
I remember when California ceased hunting cougar. In some areas the deer population took a nosedive. In those areas ranchers then started losing a lot of calves. The young males got kicked out of their range and went into the suburbs, staking children at the bus stops. They were killing joggers off of the trail. There is a balance and when that balance is disrupted, chaos ensues, the eco systems will die and everyone suffers. The cat people travel to all of the Western states and try to get the hunting seasons curtailed.
Cant forget about the woman with the llama/alpaca farm..

Gila

WKR
The problem isn’t just the non-residents. It is non-residents who want to do a DIY hunt without much elk hunting experience and not familiar with the area who don’t hire a guide. Some non-residents give out “free” hunting information to other non-residents on Internet forums. They figure that they are unlikely to be drawn or hunt the area again so they want to be “internet elk hunting heroes”. Scouting is part of the hunt. For people who have a lot of archery elk hunting experience in other Western states, the archery seasons here are long enough to get on a bull during the rut. But for rifle hunting coming off the rut, many of the seasons are only 5 days....not enough time to scout and do the tag justice.

Showing up early during the season prior to yours, doesn’t work out so well for the residents who have spent hundreds of dollars and maybe many months or even years scouting before their hunt. I have had a hunt buggered by a scouter and it really pissed me off. If you don’t want hate and discontent from us then don’t give out any hunting locations....do your boots on the ground scouting when we are not hunting, or hire a guide.