The gun IS ALWAYS loaded!

WyoKid

WKR
Sad to see these stories crop up in the news:

Sheriff: Hunter accidentally kills his 11-year-old daughter investigators say a hunter accidentally shot and killed his 11-year-old daughter while they were hunting near their East Texas hometown - "According to Fletcher, the accident happened after Daisy and her father had returned to his vehicle.

Fletcher said the father told detectives he remembered loading four cartridges into his rifle and that he had spent two while out hunting with Daisy.

He said he had ejected two more at the vehicle, and when he went to lower the rifle's hammer, it fired."

"He had thought he had cleared the gun, but unfortunately, he hadn't," Fletcher explained.

-------
I had a good friend that died this season when his 14 year old son accidently shot him.

I know we all know gun safety and teach it to our kids. But these stories demonstrate that you must ALWAYS be vigilant when handling firearms no matter how proficient you think you are.....IMHO

At the very least, the bolt should have been open. No one will suffer more than the father. I can't even comprehend what he must be going through. So sad.

ODB

WKR
Damnation. Working at a gun counter will open your eyes to some bad gun handling. It also makes you absolutely paranoid around guns in other peoples hands

this guy must be devastated. Very sad.

Maki35

WKR
Rest in peace for the daughter. Very sad.

As for the father, that's hard to live with.

#1. never point your gun at anyone load or not, unless you intend to shoot them.

baz77

WKR
I can't even begin to imagine what that father is going through.....makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Very sad, he likely will never have a worst day in his life. I am obsessive when it comes to making certain any firearm is empty when picking it up and handing it off to another person. I never take a gun from a person unless they have checked to be certain there is not a live round in the chamber and the safety is in safe position. I knew a guy who shot himself in the shoulder with a " empty gun" so he thought. If what the father said about the number of rounds he loaded and the number he accounted for, there must have been a round in the gun from previous trip. Or he was not correct in what he thought he did. Terrible situation.

260madman

WKR
Every gun is loaded and don’t point them at someone unless you intend to kill them. Pretty simple yet we get lax and skip the rules. 🙁

With 3 kids I cannot imagine what this guy is going through but. . . But. . . How in the hell do you drop the hammer on your gun while you're pointing it at your kid? How is your gun ever pointed at your kid? How are you not aware where your kids is while you are unloading?

Heart goes out to the guy and his family but dear lord apparently there are far to many people that have grown complacent with guns!

willtim

WKR
Tragic. Prayers for the father. I taught my two boys "all guns are always loaded".

AZ8

WKR
“lower the rifle‘s hammer”…..sounds like a lever gun. Can’t rely on memory. Cycle the lever/action multiple times to make sure. You have to be anal about that!

Sad for the little girl. Dad will never be the same. Can you imagine looking into the eyes of your wife telling her what you did! Terrible!

SWOHTR

WKR
[QUOTE="ODB, post: 2358592, member: 13566]It also makes you absolutely paranoid around guns in other peoples hands

this guy must be devastated. Very sad.
[/QUOTE]

Sad indeed.

Equally as scary as people with guns is people driving boats.

Terrible. Horrible end to what was probably a great trip for a father and daughter. You never come back from an unbelievably stupid mistake like that. I was shot by my best friend in the foot at 12 years old while rabbit hunting. Same situation to a T. 30 years later I built a gun range on my property near my home. I'm still over the top about gun safety, and every time friends come over to shoot we have a 10-15 minute safety session before the guns come out. If any safety rules are broken during the shoot, that person is asked to leave permanently. I have 4 less friends because of this, but I don't give a rat's a#*. I don't hunt with anyone besides my wife and son. Not even my own brother, because he insists on hiking with a round in the chamber. Gun safety is the absolute easiest set of rules to adhere to, but unfortunately some people will never get it. God rest that little girls soul.

Rob5589

WKR
Tragic. Even more tragic is knowing that it was 100% avoidable.

RIP little Daisy

BRGT2

FNG
Sad to see these stories crop up in the news:

Sheriff: Hunter accidentally kills his 11-year-old daughter investigators say a hunter accidentally shot and killed his 11-year-old daughter while they were hunting near their East Texas hometown - "According to Fletcher, the accident happened after Daisy and her father had returned to his vehicle.

Fletcher said the father told detectives he remembered loading four cartridges into his rifle and that he had spent two while out hunting with Daisy.

He said he had ejected two more at the vehicle, and when he went to lower the rifle's hammer, it fired."

"He had thought he had cleared the gun, but unfortunately, he hadn't," Fletcher explained.

-------
I had a good friend that died this season when his 14 year old son accidently shot him.

I know we all know gun safety and teach it to our kids. But these stories demonstrate that you must ALWAYS be vigilant when handling firearms no matter how proficient you think you are.....IMHO
This story is so sad and devastating for all the family. It highlights that constant vigilance to ensure we are following safe gun handling practices is something we must all maintain.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
You can never undo a horrible mistake.

So many safety rules not followed. Very basic rules at that. With a child present!!!

Shouldn’t you be teaching, re-enforcing safety with children around?

I always unload before I reach my vehicle. Than cycle the action before it goes in the truck.

Last edited:

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I can't imagine what that man is going through. Doing hero girl dad stuff then having to bury your daughter. Sending a prayer for the family.

I don’t know if I could function after pulling the trigger and killing or injuring someone, let alone a family member!

I know someone who somehow survived being shot by his hound after his hound stepped on the gun that was laying in the back seat of his pickup with the safety off. Changed his mindset and now he cases and unloads his guns.

dtrkyman

WKR
No excuses, how in the hell do you point a gun at your own daughter?

I sometimes feel like an a hole around folks with guns, but am a stickler for safety!!!

I do not like guiding gun hunts, but probably irritate clients constantly checking their weapons.