The gun IS ALWAYS loaded!

260madman

WKR
I cut my post on pg 1 short because of where we were. I’ll add that I put away 7 rifles today from our rifle season. I unloaded and checked them every day they were used and I checked them all today when I put them back in the lockers where they reside. Always check visually and physically.

If I were that dad I’m not sure I wouldn’t just off myself on the spot. Sad situation.

Sad deal, I don’t see how this stuff continues to happen, same as somebody who gets shot wearing a brown jacket because they were “mistaken for a deer.”

When I take a rifle out of the safe, I make sure it is empty. When I get out of the truck I will load it if I’m walking in after daylight, chamber is empty. If it’s in the dark, gun stays empty.

When it’s past shooting light or I’m climbing down, gun gets emptied. Gun is checked for empty back at the truck.

When it comes out of the case to go back in the safe, it gets checked again.

Trigger is never pulled during any of this, gun is never pointed at anything of value.

Reading this brought tears to my eyes, I can’t even begin to imagine the grief this father (entire family is feeling), absolutely horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Crazy stuff. We all say we are safe. Shit happens and sadly it sometimes costs lives. Dont judge, just be safe.

Uncle has a story about 5 guys walking single file and one of the rifles discharging. Something about everyone freezing and feeling their torsos for holes while the odor of poo wafts in the air.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know the details of the story, but one thing that always scares me is getting back to the truck and guys start unloading their guns while pointing them across the truck.

Two years ago I was standing behind a guest of one of our hunting lease members when he accidentally discharged his “empty” rifle while attempting to remove the magazine after getting back to camp. The rifle was pointed about 4’ high and directly across the interior of the vehicle from passenger side to driver side, and right at the area where 5 or 6 kids (my son and his son included) had been 30 seconds prior. No one was hurt, but it was scary and a reminder for me that you can never be to careful and must always be vigilant about yourself and others when firearms are out.

Deepest sympathy for this family, I can’t even imagine the heart break.

Ucsdryder

WKR
How do you go on after something like that? The first rule of firearm safety is going to haunt this man for the rest of his life.
Honestly I don’t think you could. Absolutely heartbreaking. I have a 10 year old daughter that is getting into hunting. I am constantly talking gun safety…nonstop. This story makes my heart sad.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why was the gun pointed at his daughter and why on earth would he “let down the hammer” (pull the trigger) while it was pointed at his daughter?

What a complete moron, he should feel bad for the rest of his life.

The thing about the 4 rules is that you need to break two of them for something tragic to happen. This guy looks to have broken 3 of the rules at once. And then a few of the secondary rules as well like “look and feel for an empty chamber”, and “always step away and turn away from people, toward a safe direction when loading and unloading firearms”.

Tragic! Can’t even imagine what he’s going through.

crich

WKR
Yeaaaahh this is a bad one. I cannot imagine the feeling this guy is experiencing. Aside from the tragedy of his daughter being killed this dudes entire life is probably ruined.

A family friend came home years ago to find her 1 year old son had drowned in the bathtub and her husband was asleep on the floor by the tub. He was a cop that worked grave shift and pulled a 16 hour night or something close. Anyway their marriage didnt last another 3 months. This is horrible and thoughts are definitely with the family.

Every time I handle a firearm at the house I call my sons (2 and 4) into the room and quiz them on gun safety. They know the rules. It also is a refresher ever time for myself.

I hope this guy and his family can salvage a joy and love filled life. I can't imagine being in that situation.

Hunter79

FNG
I echo the sentiments here. I hunt with my 14 year old daughter all the time. I can't imagine doing this. She and I talk about gun safety almost every time we go to the woods. Even being that particular about it, accidents can still happen. Prayers to this family.

Jethro

WKR
Just had a great weekend hunting with my daughter and buddies two kids, and today hear this story. Can't even start to fathom how a family copes with that loss. Want to feel for the father, but dam, how can you have your gun pointed at your kid while working the action?

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Tragedy. Absolutely horrible.

Two rules will manage with most guns:

Never point it at what you don’t want to destroy.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Lever guns complicate things.

As far as safeties, I don’t rely on one unless it locks the firing pin, such as a Mauser 98 type. Trigger safeties are an illusion.