The Guru's Where to go from here? Real nit pickers.

So my lasy ass finally thru together a load for my 6.5 Manbun
10 shot .867 Group at 100 yards.
140 berger hybrids.
Hornady Brass full length. 002 shoulder bump.
H4350
Br-2
Had to jump .040 because they were catching on feed ramp.
.030 is the closest I could get in the mag.

Shots 5-6 are the low right outliers.
I couldn't call any of these shots as out.
Felt I was solid.
Granted what I care about most is how it shoots at distance. This is my training rifle and is going to be used to shoot steel as far as possible and hone my fundamentals and positional shooting.
Would you even bother trying to improve this?
I'm not sure I can shoot any better then this.

If you were going to try squeeze the next bit out what .2 up and down in the powder charge?
20211114_151106.jpg

Last edited:
95% of people cant shoot better than that for 10 shots. If the ES is acceptable I'd call it good and hit the range. If you really want to nit pick it, shoot a 10 round group once every few days and see if it holds up. Or shoot at distance and see if the accuracy holds or falls apart.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hybrids have liked some jump for me. Im jumping .060 in my hunting rifle, and loaded to 2.81 mag length in my match rifle. That’s over 41.5 of H4350, in a Lapua case.

Pretty much every 6.5 creedmoor with 140s I can almost count on 41.5 of h4350 at mag length being a winner.

Where are you at for powder? You could try more jump. Those Bergers are not too picky on jump.

That said if it were me I’d move my zero 2 clicks left and give her hell. Unless you plan on shooting at under moa targets at distance, I don’t see that holding you back at all. On top of that your going to get more out of taking it out right away and not chasing smaller 100 yard groups. I’d build 100 and evaluate after that.

rayporter

WKR
in competition we would call that a classic weather report.

with wind flags out, at say 30 and 50 yd you will likely have a lot less horizontal.

OP
BRTreedogs
I hate shooting groups. Once I get 4 touching i always want to chicken out.
Once it tru the 5th one out I was like wth let's punch all 10.
But again I did not call any of them out.

42.5 grns H4350
Cbto 2.198
Don't have coal on hand.
Rifle was originally chambered to shoot the 147 match ammo.

I don't have a good chrono yet. Its on my short list.
I usually just get it on plate vertically and true my dope off that.

OP
BRTreedogs
in competition we would call that a classic weather report.

with wind flags out, at say 30 and 50 yd you will likely have a lot less horizontal.
Lol yeah I didn't pay attention to the wind at all.
I'm pretty green in LR really.
I was mostly trying to focus on trigger press.

tdhanses

WKR
Jump them at .09 and you’ll tighten up your groups, for some reason every gun from my 270wsm, 300wsm and manbun love .09 jump with bergers, my buddies 300wsm is the same.

But overall that is a good group, i’d check the ES and SD but many don’t.

I think you meant .03 and .04 right?

Last edited:
Shooting steel and hunting, there is no need for better groups. That is excellent. You can spend time, components, and barrel life trying to improve that but it is unlikely to increase your hit percentage.

OP
BRTreedogs
Jump them at .09 and you’ll tighten up your groups, for some reason every gun from my 270wsm, 300wsm and manbun love .09 jump with bergers, my buddies 300wsm is the same.

But overall that is a good group, i’d check the ES and SD but many don’t.

I think you meant .03 and .04 right?
Lol yes. 40 Thousandths

OP
BRTreedogs
Shooting steel and hunting, there is no need for better groups. That is excellent. You can spend time, components, and barrel life trying to improve that but it is unlikely to increase your hit percentage.
Pretty much where I'm at.
Its just always nice to have the reassurance that the rifle is hammering.
That way I know every miss is all me.

Lawnboi

WKR
Considering I havnt been able to find a dang 140 hybrid for the last three months I wouldn’t waste much more playing around. They are an awesome bullet and what Iv been using in my match rifle.

OP
BRTreedogs
Considering I havnt been able to find a dang 140 hybrid for the last three months I wouldn’t waste much more playing around. They are an awesome bullet and what Iv been using in my match rifle.
Haha man rite when things started getting hard to find i started digging full time.
And when I found um I bought.

Pretty much where I'm at.
Its just always nice to have the reassurance that the rifle is hammering.
That way I know every miss is all me.
You might want to check out one of the hit percentage calculators out there. Try a google search but there’s a free one on longrangeonly. My takeaway is that a true 1MOA group like you have is NOT the limiting factor in making the shot. Wind, range uncertainty, velocity spread, and mostly poor shooting is going to make the difference, not the group size when you have a true less than 1 MOA group.

Sandstrom

WKR
I would put a dime over the holes you don’t like, take a picture, then measure the the group as .33 MOA and brag it up!!! In all seriousness it looks great! I would run it!!
Ryan

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
To really nit pick that load you need velocity numbers. That could have an ES of 80. Not likely, but not impossible with an RBros rifle to shoot anything well. Other than that I would test a few with more jump like the advice above, might tighten it up a bit.

tdhanses

WKR
I would put a dime over the holes you don’t like, take a picture, then measure the the group as .33 MOA and brag it up!!! In all seriousness it looks great! I would run it!!
Ryan
Or maybe even a quarter, pennies/dimes are too small 😂

DF772448-377C-47B4-AF35-A3DB5D6B8DC1.jpeg215B0503-31B2-4A2D-9A03-8955AF1BFCF7.jpeg

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on your ES and SD mine dropped in half once I moved away from hornady brass nothing else really changed. I know use Peterson and Lapua.