The Headlamp Thread....

Some people are boot junkies, some lean towards premium packs, top shelf hunting clothes; yes I’m susceptible to all of those. Latest and greatest, double dog guaranteed to increase your success by 43.5 % new model of big box brand bows? Nah, not so much for me....I love my Darton :). Ok, I am however, always on a constant search for good headlamps. Just got a Silva Explorer 4 in the mail today. Whammo, I’m in love with this thing immediately! This will be my go to trail lamp going forward and my Zebra flood will continue to be my camp and close quarter (breaking down big critter) headlamp. I’m not a fan of rechargeable lamps so this one passes all my smell tests.

What do you cats use and how/why do you like them?

290E979B-6E09-43E0-BDD0-19AD480D7B91.png

I have the coast fl65 which is 400 lumens and I wish it was a thousand. Never enough light to do good navigation in the dark off trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I use the Milwaukee hardhat headlamp without a hardhat when I want the most light I can have, other than that Princeton Tech.

wyodan

WKR
I use a Fenix, not sure of the model, but it uses 2 AA batteries the same as my GPS. Before that I used a Petzl, but it used AAA batteries.

What are the RED LIGHTS like? All my BD headlamps have flood type and I’m trying to find a headlamp with RED SPOTLIGHT

THANKS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Zebralight model that I chose based upon my needs. I'm new to it this winter, but I already like it a lot after multiple uses thus far:
H600d Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 5000K High CRI Headlamp (zebralight.com)
Edit Note: Just FYI that my model choice above uses an 18650 battery.

It's light weight with a comfortable headband; has several settings from very low light to a truly impressive high lumen output that really reaches out there to distant tree-tops, and you can also custom program your settings. It can be used as a flashlight and/or headlamp, so it's a two for one with a net reduction of space and weight to the gear bag.

I see it going to moose camp with me this fall for sure.

Last edited:
I have nitecore hc30 that I was in love with until it started working intermittently last fall. I tried to contact them and didn't receive much help and now I think I'm just outside of their warranty range 🙄 going to replace it with a zebralight

VASolocam

FNG
I also have the Nightcore HC 30. For its weight it is a very impressive little light that lasts a very long time on low beam. I find that the low setting is plenty of light to follow a trail in the middle of the night but I need to bump it up one setting if I’m bushwhacking. So far I haven’t had any issues with mine. The other thing I really like about this light is that the red light is quite bright. I’ve had a problem with headlamps before with a red light so dim it’s almost unusable. My son has been using the HC 60 version for several years.