The Hobbit Rifle

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Neat concept. Looking at the “as it sits now” photo in post 2... So does it come with a ladder so you can climb up and get a proper sight picture? Looks like you’d be resting your jaw bone on the stock to get high enough. Could just be the photo angle.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neat concept. Looking at the “as it sits now” photo in post 2... So does it come with a ladder so you can climb up and get a proper sight picture? Looks like you’d be resting your jaw bone on the stock to get high enough. Could just be the photo angle.

If you look at my daughter shooting with the .22-250 barrel that’s the same height as the “as it sits now” barrel. No issues with cheek weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for the write up. That is a great idea for kids and I'm considering putting one together.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
What barrel profile do you have?

I have the tapered factory and 20” length. I’d recommend getting fluting of some sort because their factory taper is still pretty thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
great job
i have kicked around something like that to reduce wt.

if you did not want the bi pod you could remove the forearm and get one of the cross pins for the barrell that has a nut or flange on the ends and save the wt of the forearm, also. or you could tape it-😁

Great build. I have a budget version with the H&R .243 youth rifle my vertically challenged wife and daughter use. With the long Weaver base I can quickly swap a scope and move it forward and I can use it for varmints and they have a MOA medium range big game rifle (deer + antelope mostly). Hard to beat a single shot for safety, durability, and accuracy sometimes!

For other game they have H&R single shot .410 and 20ga on hand so they are always using the same "platform" which breeds confidence and familiarity.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great build. I have a budget version with the H&R .243 youth rifle my vertically challenged wife and daughter use. With the long Weaver base I can quickly swap a scope and move it forward and I can use it for varmints and they have a MOA medium range big game rifle (deer + antelope mostly). Hard to beat a single shot for safety, durability, and accuracy sometimes!

For other game they have H&R single shot .410 and 20ga on hand so they are always using the same "platform" which breeds confidence and familiarity.

I have to give at least partial credit to a buddies H&R for jump starting this gun. He has one in .308 that weighs something ridiculous like 4-1/2 lbs if I remember right. He turned the barrel down on a lathe and built it back up with CF. A Leupold 4x on top for glass. I’ll see if I have pictures of it still.

khuber84

WKR
You can get modular cheek risers for thr mft stocks if need be.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
I gave my buddy a similar gun only “pistol” format. 15” .308 barrel and a brace. He likes to hunt certain counties that are shotgun only but also allow for pistols. That TC is one lite compact package.