The Hobbit Rifle

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the link on the stocks. Looks like the weight of my stock isn’t the issue…all the carbon fiber doodads, plus grip, plus pic rail adapter add up to more than my butt stock. I need to shed weight in the barrel and the scope/mount if I want to get under 7 lbs.

Can anyone measure their MGM barrel for diameter as well as depth of the flutes?

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently I’m obsessed with this project…keep checking this thread to see if anyone has responded. Lol. Anyway, gonna ditch the 3.5x10 for a 2.5x. Not sure how far the neighbors truck is down the street, 150-200 I’m guessing, but 2.5x is plenty to hold tight on the tailgate latch. So, with Talley mounts she should be just over 7 Lbs. Barrel is 23”…cut an inch or two off and do a taper from the stock prohunter engraving would get me another 5-6 ozs ir so. Could just leave well enough alone….the balance point with 2.5x scope is mighty fine as is.

Attachments

• C638F445-9019-4CC4-B232-08FAA2F5ED89.jpeg
    C638F445-9019-4CC4-B232-08FAA2F5ED89.jpeg
    509.8 KB · Views: 150
Apparently I’m obsessed with this project…keep checking this thread to see if anyone has responded. Lol. Anyway, gonna ditch the 3.5x10 for a 2.5x. Not sure how far the neighbors truck is down the street, 150-200 I’m guessing, but 2.5x is plenty to hold tight on the tailgate latch. So, with Talley mounts she should be just over 7 Lbs. Barrel is 23”…cut an inch or two off and do a taper from the stock prohunter engraving would get me another 5-6 ozs ir so. Could just leave well enough alone….the balance point with 2.5x scope is mighty fine as is.
Glad I'm not your neighbor. Lol.

ahlgringo

WKR
What height talleys are you guys using? Extended version or regular?
Also wanting to know this info- specifically what height talley mount for a 40mm 1" tube. I have tried to research but can't find definitively if the low will clear or do you need medium height.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is all predicated upon which scope you’re using but for the scope I’m using a “medium” is the lowest you could use and still clear the hammer. A low might clear the barrel but you won’t clear the hammer. At least not with my VX3 4.5-14x40.

As far as extended vs non extended, that depends on your eye relief more than anything. I’m using a non extended or regular model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
d6aa680f3ff03aba0e2a56e12b48afc9.jpg

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Another night stretching legs and lead, this time with my youngest. She did great

5b4ba553d18ee4ff85462c53c35fb8e4.jpg

So, I just got my TC Pro Hunter and it feels pretty good with the factory stock, but I'm excited to be able to adjust the length of pull, but when I felt the Sharps Bros pistol grip in a frame this weekend it seemed like a little bit of a stretch for me the reach the trigger while gripping the pistol grip where it drops your hand down and back some to make a place for the Picatinny interface. Granted I have fat, short fingers, but was wondering if your kids have had any issues reaching the trigger? Or do they not wrap their thumb around the grip and keep it on the side of the rifle?

I prefer the feel of the factory pistol grip but the shortened LOP and compact packability of the hobbit build is why I got into this. Is this a non issue or something people with small hands just have to get used to?

Love this! Too late for my kids - my son is now 6'4" and hunts with a .300 Win Mag mostly - but I should have grandkids in the next few years so I will keep this in mind.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I just got my TC Pro Hunter and it feels pretty good with the factory stock, but I'm excited to be able to adjust the length of pull, but when I felt the Sharps Bros pistol grip in a frame this weekend it seemed like a little bit of a stretch for me the reach the trigger while gripping the pistol grip where it drops your hand down and back some to make a place for the Picatinny interface. Granted I have fat, short fingers, but was wondering if your kids have had any issues reaching the trigger? Or do they not wrap their thumb around the grip and keep it on the side of the rifle?

I prefer the feel of the factory pistol grip but the shortened LOP and compact packability of the hobbit build is why I got into this. Is this a non issue or something people with small hands just have to get used to?

Neither of my girls has complained about it being an issue but I haven’t specifically checked what their hand weld to grip looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezwy

FNG

You must have really small hands…..

ezwy

FNG
About like yours, brother. And actually after looking at your hobbit build with a butt stock on, trigger reach is a non issue.

Thanks a lot 🤪
Hopefully I’ll have mine ready to go by summer. I want to see how it rides in the backpack with a folder.

RS3579

WKR
I ordered everything minus the bipod and barrel. I have 2 frames now. Blued and stainless. Hopefully I have everything ready to go for November deer season.

Loper

WKR
Hungry little Hobbit Rifle from 350 yards. Nephews first ram. Couldn’t have happened for a more deserving young man.

c7c8695d4dc04de4c5c7cc56379b7d2c.jpg
This is such a cool photo. Love the head position and the up close definition of the curl. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of any game animal looking up to the sky.