The Hunters Orange Epidemic

Have you ever stopped to think hunting regulations just flat aren't a liberal vs conservative issue? I don't believe for a second they are...it's a decision made by reasonable people despite political affiliation or political ideology. If it wasn't that way, how is that a state like wyoming, perhaps the most conservative state in the west, with a clear majority of the legislature as red as blood, have a hunter orange regulation in place?

I would make the argument that hunting regulations aren't a D vs R issue or a conservative vs liberal issue...but about common sense. Precisely why conservative wyoming politicians, hunters, commission, and legislators supported and continue to support the regulation. Why over 40 states require it and have the regulation in place.

Not every issue has to dragged into the political abyss of the .gov conspiracy nuts.

None of Bill S's thoughts, actions, or reflections of others thoughts/actions occur without careful consideration of where they fit on the political spectrum.

spaniel

FNG
Out West is one thing, in the Midwest I wear orange even if I'm afield not hunting if it's gun season. Hunter density can be pretty high and properties small; bullets travel.

A number of years ago I got accused of shooting just a few feet over a fella's head as he sat in his blind. Turns out I didn't, I had a muzzleloader, and he had 2 shots come over in quick succession so it had to be someone from the property just south of my location. HOWEVER, I did shoot a deer while shooting in his general direction, totally oblivious that he was there. I never would have taken the shot if I'd known he was there. But he was wearing orange....sitting in a small and well-camouflaged blind with no openings on my side, making him completely invisible sitting 200 yards from me.

This issue was not isolated, the next year they enacted a new regulation that stated blinds had to have orange posted on 4 sides.

WRO

WKR
He's asking how you know that other orange-less renegades haven't had you in their scope?
It may have happened, but I can't think of a time. I can think of several wearing orange though.

That being said I wear it bird hunting pretty religiously..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
It may have happened, but I can't think of a time. I can think of several wearing orange though.

That being said I wear it bird hunting pretty religiously..

I have been scoped wearing orange as well. I'd imagine I've been scoped by the orange-less ones too, I just didn't see them.

I can think of a lot of times when I chose not to wear orange that I could see hunters that never knew I was there.

Either way, there's no excuse for anyone using a rifle-mounted scope to look at anything but an identified potential target. I don't think orange vs no orange can save anyone from dumbshit-ness.

WRO

WKR
I have been scoped wearing orange as well. I'd imagine I've been scoped by the orange-less ones too, I just didn't see them.

I can think of a lot of times when I chose not to wear orange that I could see hunters that never knew I was there.

Either way, there's no excuse for anyone using a rifle-mounted scope to look at anything but an identified potential target. I don't think orange vs no orange can save anyone from dumbshit-ness.
It's pretty easy for dipshit without binoculars to spot a guy in bright orange, not so with easy any decent camo..

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Guess if you go on the assumption if you don't see orange behind your chosen target it's ok to fire away. Consider if orange isn't mandatory that everyone would be more careful & follow the basic safety rule of being sure of your target & backstop. I've hunted in the scariest state ever...Pennsylvania on opening day of rifle with orange on & it didn't make me feel any less likely of getting shot. Never went back. Orange doesn't make dumb people any smarter & it doesn't stop bullets...it provides a false sense of security & is obnoxious in the woods...I would prefer it to be mandatory for underage hunters who don't have the experience to make an informed decision & for adults to get to choose their own colors for hunting.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

BFR

WKR
Hunter orange notwithstanding there are still idiots who need a hunter safety refresher course. That being said I will continue to wear orange and if an idiot fires in my direction they better be clearing out of the area quickly, I may fire back, accidentally of course.

PhlyanPan

FNG
Here's your problem: "(5) A person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $20. "

"loon squeezers and trout sniffers".
15 pages of arguments for the validity/non-validity of wearing orange while hunting and THIS made me spit out my water.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I always wear orange. Wouldn’t hunt most places without it.

But, I agree with some of the others here too. The problem is really a few irresponsible idiots and a better solution is to build a culture where properly identifying targets is an absolute rule. If it is not a game animal, you shouldn’t even be thinking of pointing a weapon at it, let alone shoot it.

It’s sad to me that hunter orange ever had to become a thing. American sportsmen should be and should have always been more responsible than that.

mtnkid85

WKR
Theres enough stupid people in this country, I've started wearing an orange panel on the back of my approximately, kinda, sorta, if you squint, elk colored pack. (Its a Exo in the coyote color).

Ive never once had a problem wearing orange. The only downside is it being one more layer to take off and on. But if it keeps one single person from shooting me then Id say thats fair.

More than once rifle hunting Ive been hiking or planning on hiking into an area only to see a flash of orange in front of me so Ill turn and pick a different route to give that hunter space. While archery hunting, Ive often times hunted right up on to other guys. Thats also why I have some orange on my bow.

Its just easier for every one to be cordial if you know where each other is at.

Thinking this has some political backing is laughable.