The Hunting Collective Podcast

come2elmo

WKR
Speaking of the Rinella fanboy cult. You just nailed the problem. When did "lifestyle" and hunting become intertwined? For Rinella ( Montana's version of Duck Dynasty) and his fanboys it's no longer the hunting, but monetizing the "lifestyle" ( meat eater whiskey, first lite, clothes, the meat eater rifle, meat eater elk calls, meat eater tampons, meat eater ammo, hunting with guest celebrities, supporting only left wing orgs like BHA, owning the politically correct back packs, and boots etc) I think people are sick of Rinella pimping and monetizing every aspect of hunting to make a quick buck, plus his left wing politics and his condescending attitude.
Well I will begin to worry about the hunting lifestyle thing when I see dudes walking through Lowe’s with a bino harness and a pack on like the time I saw the truck camper err “overlander” guy trying to figure out how to fit a sheet of plywood into his power wagon that had so much gear strapped to it the bed was essentially useless.

Scorpion

WKR
My guess is with the growth of MeatEater, Inc. they will be promoting him to run a larger segment of the company.

Listened to a few of his podcasts, only if there were interesting guests. He seems like an okay guy, but I’m not sure I jive with the crowd he probably appeals to. Seems to not be very knowledgeable about hunting. He and Mark Kenyon are easily some of the least knowledgeable hunters with a lot influence/exposure in the digital space.

The content of the MeatEater podcast itself has drastically changed since the sale, which is unfortunate. Steve Rinella is one of our best ambassadors and has a way to articulate the “why” of hunting that few can.

well-bye-animated-gif.gif

grfox92

WKR
Speaking of the Rinella fanboy cult. You just nailed the problem. When did "lifestyle" and hunting become intertwined? For Rinella ( Montana's version of Duck Dynasty) and his fanboys it's no longer the hunting, but monetizing the "lifestyle" ( meat eater whiskey, first lite, clothes, the meat eater rifle, meat eater elk calls, meat eater tampons, meat eater ammo, hunting with guest celebrities, supporting only left wing orgs like BHA, owning the politically correct back packs, and boots etc) I think people are sick of Rinella pimping and monetizing every aspect of hunting to make a quick buck, plus his left wing politics and his condescending attitude.

Hunting is a Lifestyle. My entire life revolves around hunting. My free time revolves around hunting realted things. Where I choose to live is based on hunting opportunity. How is hunting not a lifestyle for anyone who takes it seriously?

Secondly, there is no charge for any of MeatEater content. Could you explain to me how they work of make money off of the brand without having sponsors and selling products? Maybe I'm missing something. It is a business. And as big of a fan that I am, I don't own a single MeatEater branded piece of merchandise.

Thirdly I am a big MeatEater fan. I've heard every single podcast. I can't think of a single instance where I have heard him say anything "Left Wing"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Pro953

WKR
Can’t say I am sad to see that one go. Though I did not realize so many folks did like like Kenyan. I guess I identify with his story’s more as a young parent etc. I am also not a whitetail hunter so maybe some of his commentary on that does not connect with those immersed in the whitetail world. I always enjoyed his BS with Dan Johnson.

I actually like Cal’s podcast the most. Short form but interesting.

The hit for the main Meateater podcast is the need to make weekly content. When it came out every month or 2-3 weeks the long form interviews were much better. Now the need to drum up material every week leaves a lot of junk on the table. Last weeks with the guy running some Instagram page with wildlife photos by other folks. WTF is the point of that. He is not a photographer or tied to the wildlife/outdoor community at all. That was just a waste of bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Hunting is a Lifestyle. My entire life revolves around hunting. My free time revolves around hunting realted things. Where I choose to live is based on hunting opportunity. How is hunting not a lifestyle for anyone who takes it seriously?

Cause some of these guys will say absolutely anything just to make sure they can keep bashing anything Meat Eater related.

It’s actually pretty comical cause it’s so predictable how they drone on nonsense every time it’s brought up.

grfox92

WKR
Cause some of these guys will say absolutely anything just to make sure they can keep bashing anything Meat Eater related.

It’s actually pretty comical cause it’s so predictable how they drone on nonsense every time it’s brought up.
The arguments people give about why they don't like MeatEater are far more "Left Wing" sounding the anything I've ever heard in the podcast.

mdp22

FNG
The old Meateater was better but I still tune in depending on the guests. Seems I've come to enjoy listening to the podcasts that aren't hunting related more, like the recent one with David J. Meltzer and the Clovis point people. Meltzer's first podcast with them was good too. Same with Joe Rogan, I don't listen to any of the fighter podcasts only the ones with folks like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

I am a fan of Rinella and the meat eater overall. I have followed him for years and think he is one of the most articulate and arguably important voices in the hunting media industry.

I get that meat eater are going with a portfolio approach and developing different properties within the umbrella brand. I actually think the strategy is pretty savvy where they start something small and lean into what is getting an audience response. They modify or prune the stuff that isn't driving an audience. Rinse and repeat. Its a good, nimble way to run a 21st century media business.

As far as THC, I listened most weeks for a while but like many, my commute changed this past year and my podcast listening dropped a lot. I have since listened to a few episodes here and there but it just wasn't one I regularly found time for anymore. I will say that my favorite episodes were the ones that featured a really interesting guest. The bro down, listener mail, jokes about the engineer that doesn't hunt falls flat for me, but I am sure it works for some. Although he is not going to make my podcast hall of fame, Ben has talent as a broadcaster and I am sure he will find something good at the meateater or elsewhere.

PS - It always seems weird to me when people will shit on hunting media for "selling out" when other sports are wall to wall ads and product placement - NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and god forbid NASCAR. Never clear to me why people get so upset about the commercialization of hunting in the media when it is so easy to ignore that aspect. Just turn off the TV, put down the book or magazine, don't look at the internet or social media and just go hunt. just go in the woods and do what you enjoy. I promise you will never be bothered by forum banner ads or podcasters ever again.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That my friend is called capitalism. But hey, F$#% Rinella and MeatEater for providing content and jobs and spreading the good word about hunting and fishing right?
How's Sun Valley these days? Seems like you fit in with that crowd

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have listened to a lot of Hunting Collective podcasts, and while Ben and I probably wouldn’t agree on a lot of things politically it is never a bad idea to challenge your own views now and then.

Can’t say I am sad to see that one go. Though I did not realize so many folks did like like Kenyan. I guess I identify with his story’s more as a young parent etc. I am also not a whitetail hunter so maybe some of his commentary on that does not connect with those immersed in the whitetail world. I always enjoyed his BS with Dan Johnson.

I actually like Cal’s podcast the most. Short form but interesting.

The hit for the main Meateater podcast is the need to make weekly content. When it came out every month or 2-3 weeks the long form interviews were much better. Now the need to drum up material every week leaves a lot of junk on the table. Last weeks with the guy running some Instagram page with wildlife photos by other folks. WTF is the point of that. He is not a photographer or tied to the wildlife/outdoor community at all. That was just a waste of bandwidth.

X2 for Cal's podcast.

grfox92

WKR
I saw on Instagram today that Ben O'Brien announced he was leaving MeatEater, and thought it this thread.

He didn't say where he was going or what he was doing.

I can't help but think he was "pressured out". With his podcast getting cut from the line up even with a good following and him being non existent on the MeatEater platform since then, I'd imagine there is more to the story we will never know.

OP
ZioRob

ZioRob

FNG
I saw on Instagram today that Ben O'Brien announced he was leaving MeatEater, and thought it this thread.

He didn't say where he was going or what he was doing.

I can't help but think he was "pressured out". With his podcast getting cut from the line up even with a good following and him being non existent on the MeatEater platform since then, I'd imagine there is more to the story we will never know.

Yeah I have had the same feeling since the podcast ended..

ODB

WKR
Interesting. Meateater seems to have become a staff-heavy org. Lots of contributors, none of whom I imagine make all that much money. Ben used to have a decent title there, it’ll be interesting to learn what’s up. But I’m sure there’s an NDA in force…

OP
ZioRob

ZioRob

FNG
Interesting. Meateater seems to have become a staff-heavy org. Lots of contributors, none of whom I imagine make all that much money. Ben used to have a decent title there, it’ll be interesting to learn what’s up. But I’m sure there’s an NDA in force…
As I've said in the past I really enjoyed the early days of the THC podcast but towards the end it got weird.