The Hunting Collective Podcast

Out of that whole group of podcasts the only one that i have ever really listened to is remi warrens. Haven't heard the new meateater one with clay newcomb but i did like his old podcast. Ben has always rubbed me the wrong way when ive listened to him on other podcasts, glad im not the only one i guess

ODB

WKR
Understand, what we are seeing is the barstool sports model being applied to hunting. The Chernin group owns a bunch of brands (51% of barstool) and pretty much runs the same model of content driving e-commerce and clicks for advertising. Grow podcasts, grow products and sell sell sell

whether rinella wants to admit it, he’s now just another cog in the online/e-commerce marketplace.

come2elmo

WKR
Understand, what we are seeing is the barstool sports model being applied to hunting. The Chernin group owns a bunch of brands (51% of barstool) and pretty much runs the same model of content driving e-commerce and clicks for advertising. Grow podcasts, grow products and sell sell sell

whether rinella wants to admit it, he’s now just another cog in the online/e-commerce marketplace.
I just counted 7 different adds on this forum page and it will be at least 8 when I post my response. Online e-commerce is what let's us sit here for free....it's how it works. They take the risk they should reap the rewards because they eat the failure if it doesn't work and we are able to just move on.

Mtnboy

WKR

That my friend is called capitalism. But hey, F$#% Rinella and MeatEater for providing content and jobs and spreading the good word about hunting and fishing right?

ODB

WKR
That my friend is called capitalism. But hey, F$#% Rinella and MeatEater for providing content and jobs and spreading the good word about hunting and fishing right?

A typical, predictable, reductive response that I expected. You guys who always fall back on the “you must be jealous, it’s capitalism, he’s doing the good work,” miss the point entirely.

bozeman

WKR
So, support the e-commerce of hunting, providing people jobs, recruiting new hunters and then post about how too many elk tags and elk hunters are in the woods? Ok, gotcha. Makes total sense..............SMH

Fatcamp

WKR
Rinella's mule deer video last year was off. His cameramen don't hunt and I got the feeling pressure was on to shoot any deer to go home. Felt like they were just going through the motions because that is what was expected and they all just wanted to get to a warm room and head for the bar.

Mtnboy

WKR
A typical, predictable, reductive response that I expected. You guys who always fall back on the “you must be jealous, it’s capitalism, he’s doing the good work,” miss the point entirely.
What's the point then professor, enlighten me.

I just think it's absolutely laughable how the Rokslide crowd is so "cool" and "core" that they love to shit on one of the most well spoken, thought out and put together representatives we have for our lifestyle.

Flame away.....

One thing that always stuck out to me about the hunting collective podcast was how long it took to start and how rambling it could be before the interview. One podcast had like 40 minutes of him and phil the engineer talking about a bunch of nothing, and a total podcast length of over 2 hours. I don’t have time for that unless the content is literally going to change my life.

I felt like it may have been intentional that Clay Newcomb’s new Bear Grease podcast promises upfront to be an “efficient listen”, because the HuntingCollective was absolutely not and that’s what usually kept me from tuning in to it.

ODB

WKR

I just think it's absolutely laughable how the Rokslide crowd is so "cool" and "core" that they love to shit on one of the most well spoken, thought out and put together representatives we have for our lifestyle.

Flame away.....

So funny. Your first mistake is thinking i am part of some “rokslide crowd.” I don’t even own a flat brim hat, kifaru pack, or obsess over my “systems.”

there’s no need in trying to explain because your mind is already made up. Just go search up some of my old posts and you’ll likely get an idea of my position on things like this.

I think with 20 more years of hunting experience, the hunting collective could be good. I listen to podcasts to learn from folks who have lived it, breathed it and have the ability to convey it through story and statistics. The Meateater, Closing the Distance, Jay Scott Outdoors are all experts and drop seriously good advice and have great anecdotes. Ben OBrian seems like a good enough dude, but there just was not enough information.

Reactions: OMB

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be honest he really lost me with his wolf podcast. I’m not a fan of predators on the landscape.

I know that’s not a popular opinion now but I have a young daughter and anything that views her as a potential part of their diet should be annihilated IMO. Packs of coyotes here in the east ( I’ve witnessed them take down a calf that went a couple hundred pounds) mountain lions, bears and wolves can all go away just like our forefathers tried to make happen. Human hunters are more than able to manage the ungulate populations and all other small game. If we weren’t then there wouldn’t be bag limits and tag quotas like we see today.

anyway back to the Ben hating.

bsnedeker

WKR
I won't lie, this thought crosses my mind sometimes on the rougher days of elk hunting..........
Lol, everyone has felt that way I'm sure, but he didn't mean it in the way that he was beat up and was questioning himself. In the context of the conversation he basically said he questioned why he was hunting at all and made it seem as though he had no passion for hunting and was just doing it as part of his job. That was how I took what he was saying anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
Lol, everyone has felt that way I'm sure, but he didn't mean it in the way that he was beat up and was questioning himself. In the context of the conversation he basically said he questioned why he was hunting at all and made it seem as though he had no passion for hunting and was just doing it as part of his job. That was how I took what he was saying anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
No worries, I knew what you were trying to say. I just saw that phrase and realized that I had thought almost those exact words a few times, albeit in a bit of a different context.

Always thought that podcast was a hard listen too. The guest sometimes had some good commentary but couldn't really jive with Ben hosting. Was very surprised enough people listened to start a self proclaimed "cult". That episode was the 3rd and final one I listened too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
ZioRob

ZioRob

FNG
Always thought that podcast was a hard listen too. The guest sometimes had some good commentary but couldn't really jive with Ben hosting. Was very surprised enough people listened to start a self proclaimed "cult". That episode was the 3rd and final one I listened too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I also agree the cult talk became a little too much and he lost me hence why i don't know exactly what's happening with the podcast.

Has anyone actually heard what's happening?

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Used to listen to the podcast because he had some intriguing guests but he swung and missed with some potentially great conversations. The rambling at the beginning of the podcasts got worse and worse and the final straw was all of the political talk during the election last fall when he kept saying he would keep politics out of it. Then go on a 15 minute political rant the very next podcast.

Okhotnik

WKR

Flame away.....
Speaking of the Rinella fanboy cult. You just nailed the problem. When did "lifestyle" and hunting become intertwined? For Rinella ( Montana's version of Duck Dynasty) and his fanboys it's no longer the hunting, but monetizing the "lifestyle" ( meat eater whiskey, first lite, clothes, the meat eater rifle, meat eater elk calls, meat eater tampons, meat eater ammo, hunting with guest celebrities, supporting only left wing orgs like BHA, owning the politically correct back packs, and boots etc) I think people are sick of Rinella pimping and monetizing every aspect of hunting to make a quick buck, plus his left wing politics and his condescending attitude.