The Hunting Public TV Show

cjdewese

WKR
The thing I find interesting about these types of posts and others like the one that mentioned Randy Newberg is that most everyone talking negatively about this would probably be in favor of capitalism. Isn't this pretty much that?

THP - trying to increase their viewership and more "clicks" as you guys like to say. I'm sorry but isn't that the point with something like this when their entire livelihoods are probably tied to the success of their youtube channel to promote their other products so they can all make their income? I am pretty sure we do the same with whatever industry we get paid by don't we?

All these state agencies looking for ways to increase their audience have marketing budgets to spend. Wouldn't the smart play be to use a tool that you know will pretty much give you a great return on investment like THP or any other creator who's video's average 100's of thousands of views per? I know I am much more likely to go to Georgia, TN or Iowa to hunt because of seeing the cool interactions they have on their videos than seeing some stupid banner ad on facebook about hunting opportunities in those states.

Until anyone has had opportunities to get paid to go hunt cool places and chose to turn it down because "you don't want to ruin it for local hunters" you don't really have a leg to stand on. I know if I was offered to get paid to go hunt Mule Deer in the west I would take it.

Dan Infalt aka Beast addressed this topic not that long ago. People are going farther and looking in the right spots to find game. It's just a deck being shuffled and the guys that have great woodsmanship and are truely good hunters will still find success. The guys that have been spoiled and want it to be easy will look for somebody to blame besides themselves.

OMB

WKR
OK.

Wrong.

I'm everywhere 😉

Yup, it isn't just THP that is to blame. Catboy and Pinhoti are just as much at fault for ruining northeast Bama. They (THP) didn't even try to to hide the campground or gates which tons of of people recognized. I hunted that same area before and after YouTubers went there and it is night and day difference now.

If they'd just quit naming states, a lot of this would be avoided. But that'd hurt their views. I've hunted numerous areas/regions across the U.S. that have fell victim. Even my home state has had to implement measures to reduce non-resident turkey hunter numbers for spring 2022 due to the YouTuber influence on traveling turkey hunting.

THP has already had an impact on the Iowa non-rez turkey draw. And they are the reason I hunted Iowa in 2018. When I saw a bunch of new turkey hunters killing long spurred birds left and right on public land all through the month of May, well, what more evidence does it take to persuade someone to go there?

As far as how they changed the draw stats, the 2nd season used to be the most coveted season and about the only one you weren't guaranteed to draw with 0 points. Now with all their Iowa footage and hunters looking to extend their seasons, the last seasons applications have shot up tremendously. On the bright side, the earlier seasons are now easy to draw.

The thing that saves Iowa from damage is that $270 turkey tag! And the draw process. More states may end up having to go this route. Which sucks for lower income hunters.

With all their Iowa deer footage and the increase in point buyers, I wouldn't doubt some zones taking 5-7 points to draw in the future. The zone they'd blown up is already taking 5 points. On the bright side, more money for Iowa DNR, less hunting opportunities for non-rez.

They throw those bones in there because they know people will go to digging to find out where they are. This triggers more engagement (views, likes, subscribes, etc.)

On one hand, agree on the turkey thing. I used to be able to pick up up non-resident tags for the zone our farm is in off the leftover list the week before the season. This year they were sold out 2 months before the season started, even at $270/pop.

I will push back a bit on the deer licenses though. The Iowa DNR for at least 15 years has been pushing celebrities and TV hunters to hunt in Iowa to promote the resource through the expanded use of their governor tag program. It's why everyone associated with the Drury's and Realtree crowd were able to get buck tags every single year when they lived out of state, and how so many country music singers were able to get tags. I used to be able to draw our zone for a bow tag with 1 point, now it's probably trending 3 to 4. There's enough money involved with non-resident landowners that I won't be surprised when the non-resident cap gets upped over the 6,000 number, no matter how hard the Iowa Bowhunters Association whines about it. Iowa DNR did that to themselves.

But overall- agree with your post. The YouTube crowd is really leading to some of our resources getting loved to death.

On one hand, agree on the turkey thing. I used to be able to pick up up non-resident tags for the zone our farm is in off the leftover list the week before the season. This year they were sold out 2 months before the season started, even at $270/pop.

I will push back a bit on the deer licenses though. The Iowa DNR for at least 15 years has been pushing celebrities and TV hunters to hunt in Iowa to promote the resource through the expanded use of their governor tag program. It's why everyone associated with the Drury's and Realtree crowd were able to get buck tags every single year when they lived out of state, and how so many country music singers were able to get tags. I used to be able to draw our zone for a bow tag with 1 point, now it's probably trending 3 to 4. There's enough money involved with non-resident landowners that I won't be surprised when the non-resident cap gets upped over the 6,000 number, no matter how hard the Iowa Bowhunters Association whines about it. Iowa DNR did that to themselves.

But overall- agree with your post. The YouTube crowd is really leading to some of our resources getting loved to death.
They absolutely did it to themselves. The IDNR now have a backlog of fools waiting 3-4 years to hunt Iowa , when there are neighboring states with OTC tags and in many cases better hunting. Is the IDNR the Dumb ones?? Or the people getting sucked Into a $1000 deer tag by the time you pay for points and your license? Either way Iowa DNR has been renovating and buying new public lands so I'd say keep up the good work boys!

Reactions: OMB

Warlock

FNG
OK.

Wrong.

I'm everywhere 😉

Yup, it isn't just THP that is to blame. Catboy and Pinhoti are just as much at fault for ruining northeast Bama. They (THP) didn't even try to to hide the campground or gates which tons of of people recognized. I hunted that same area before and after YouTubers went there and it is night and day difference now.

If they'd just quit naming states, a lot of this would be avoided. But that'd hurt their views. I've hunted numerous areas/regions across the U.S. that have fell victim. Even my home state has had to implement measures to reduce non-resident turkey hunter numbers for spring 2022 due to the YouTuber influence on traveling turkey hunting.

THP has already had an impact on the Iowa non-rez turkey draw. And they are the reason I hunted Iowa in 2018. When I saw a bunch of new turkey hunters killing long spurred birds left and right on public land all through the month of May, well, what more evidence does it take to persuade someone to go there?

As far as how they changed the draw stats, the 2nd season used to be the most coveted season and about the only one you weren't guaranteed to draw with 0 points. Now with all their Iowa footage and hunters looking to extend their seasons, the last seasons applications have shot up tremendously. On the bright side, the earlier seasons are now easy to draw.

The thing that saves Iowa from damage is that $270 turkey tag! And the draw process. More states may end up having to go this route. Which sucks for lower income hunters.

With all their Iowa deer footage and the increase in point buyers, I wouldn't doubt some zones taking 5-7 points to draw in the future. The zone they'd blown up is already taking 5 points. On the bright side, more money for Iowa DNR, less hunting opportunities for non-rez.

They throw those bones in there because they know people will go to digging to find out where they are. This triggers more engagement (views, likes, subscribes, etc.)
Hey man, appreciate you putting your money where your mouth is. Very disappointed, I like that hunting crew, but not at the expense of getting hunting opportunities.

Last edited:
I used to... But their lack of responsible game care lost me.
Shooting a deer in warm weather and packing your stand out before atleast getting the guts out of the deer is bad. Or having to leave the deer to get six if your buddies to drag the deer out bugs me. Yep went Karen mode.

There seems to be a lack of knowledge on packing deer out in the Midwest.

I shot my doe on a piece of Block Management this year. Got her and my stand and sticks out in one trip. Had a Yeti full of ice waiting for me.

Then they hunt with the Hunting "Beast". A guy who said it took him 12 hours to get a deer out two miles. Not going to dispute the dude is a killer. But how do you take that long to get a deer out?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
You should see the damage they (and other YouTubers) have done to public land turkey hunting, particularly in the southeast! Have helped cause giant leaps in public land turkey hunting pressure, and absolutely ruined certain locations. Pressure increases so bad, hunters have lost a lot of public land hunting opportunity through public land season reductions (that aren't for private land), public land bag limit reductions, more public lands switching to draw/quota hunts eliminating OTC opportunity. It's pretty sad.

And don't think they aren't being paid. It's confirmed that Georgia DNR spent $23k on a project with them to pimp out public lands. What makes it so bad, is GA just removed 2-3 weeks off their public land turkey season for 2022 and reduced the bag limit! While at the same time paying THP to come turkey hunt. Sickening.

Tennessee also paid them. While at the same time reducing the statewide turkey bag limit.

Arizona has paid them as well. They are one of the influencers that received a check for advertising OTC archery deer hunts....which has now helped lead to AZ Removing OTC opportunity in several units.

With all the western big game content they are now pumping out, look for them to start being paid by more western states with the goal of attracting more non residents and further reducing all of our draw odds and potential OTC opportunities.

Yeah these guys singlehandedly ruined some public land Turkey hunting in TN. I’ve only seen bits and pieces of their content, but none of it was remotely interesting or engaging to me.

Rich M

WKR
You have to remember where these guys came from - they came from TV land and have stayed in TV land, doing what they do so well.

I don't follow them or Newberg. Newberg was mocking the average guy who's out of shape and THP called LEO on some dude who shot a turkey with a beard that didn't meet their standards. Both crossed lines for me.

I do watch Infalt from time to time. Like his attitude better than the rest.

You should see the damage they (and other YouTubers) have done to public land turkey hunting, particularly in the southeast! Have helped cause giant leaps in public land turkey hunting pressure, and absolutely ruined certain locations. Pressure increases so bad, hunters have lost a lot of public land hunting opportunity through public land season reductions (that aren't for private land), public land bag limit reductions, more public lands switching to draw/quota hunts eliminating OTC opportunity. It's pretty sad.

And don't think they aren't being paid. It's confirmed that Georgia DNR spent $23k on a project with them to pimp out public lands. What makes it so bad, is GA just removed 2-3 weeks off their public land turkey season for 2022 and reduced the bag limit! While at the same time paying THP to come turkey hunt. Sickening.

Tennessee also paid them. While at the same time reducing the statewide turkey bag limit.

Arizona has paid them as well. They are one of the influencers that received a check for advertising OTC archery deer hunts....which has now helped lead to AZ Removing OTC opportunity in several units.

With all the western big game content they are now pumping out, look for them to start being paid by more western states with the goal of attracting more non residents and further reducing all of our draw odds and potential OTC opportunities.
I don't want you to take this as blasting your comments because I am not. I am genuinely curious how you know that those states paid them to hunt public and then influence it on the show? Hearsay or actual documents? Public land everywhere is being overrun because the gain in popularity of diy public land hunts. If that is true that those states lowered tags or limitied access I would hope it is because of a scientifically based decision on carrying capacity. Plus most states in the west are relying on out of state tag holders to pay for a lot of the fish and wildlife programs, that's why the tags are so expensive compared to resident tags. Not bashing just curious how that info was obtained, I would like to see it.

I don't want you to take this as blasting your comments because I am not. I am genuinely curious how you know that those states paid them to hunt public and then influence it on the show? Hearsay or actual documents? Public land everywhere is being overrun because the gain in popularity of diy public land hunts. If that is true that those states lowered tags or limitied access I would hope it is because of a scientifically based decision on carrying capacity. Plus most states in the west are relying on out of state tag holders to pay for a lot of the fish and wildlife programs, that's why the tags are so expensive compared to resident tags. Not bashing just curious how that info was obtained, I would like to see it.

There's examples of it in this post. Many state game agencies are paying marketing departments. Those marketing departments are the ones hiring the YouTubers.

I just find it interesting that one group (outfitters) need to pay for a permit to operate in an area, while it seems these YouTubers don't. I thought they did, I remember something about foi requests on Randy Newberg that blew up areas.

Could be they still need to be permitted, I think if you are doing something for profit on public land their should be a permitting and vetting process.

I also follow the rule of you can't believe everything you see on Tv, or certainly YT.

Lowg08

WKR
Read the whole thread. Lots of documents posted to support the accusations.

On page #3, post #46, I go into more details and post screenshots of some of the evidence.

Basically, the signs were all there that they were being paid. Hashtagging state agencies in posts, state agencies using them in e-mail blasts, state agencies putting out media with THP in it, etc. THP wasn't doing that out of the kindness of their heart.

As more people realized something was going on and began to have the public lands near them personally affected due to the "hot spotting", concerned hunters started reaching out to Game and Fish agencies looking for answers. Sometimes it just took a bunch of pestering with e-mails, other times it took information requests. In two instances, (TN and GA) the agency's marketing coordinator responded back confirming they were in partnership and paying THP.

I've personally hounded one agency and not been able to get an answer. The fact they refuse to acknowledge my question lets me know they very like paid THP too.

There's examples of it in this post. Many state game agencies are paying marketing departments. Those marketing departments are the ones hiring the YouTubers.

I just find it interesting that one group (outfitters) need to pay for a permit to operate in an area, while it seems these YouTubers don't. I thought they did, I remember something about foi requests on Randy Newberg that blew up areas.

Could be they still need to be permitted, I think if you are doing something for profit on public land their should be a permitting and vetting process.

I also follow the rule of you can't believe everything you see on Tv, or certainly YT.

Correct on the marketing department paying the influencers. And it seems like the actual Game and Fish biologists/employees aren't even aware of it in many cases. Poor communication.

And there is a permitting process to commercially film on some public lands (mostly federal) and wilderness areas. That is where Randy Newberg is an outlier, he is one of the few that do it correctly and spend the $$$ for the permit! A lot of illegally filmed commercial hunts out there by the YouTubers and influencers.

On page #3, post #46, I go into more details and post screenshots of some of the evidence.

Basically, the signs were all there that they were being paid. Hashtagging state agencies in posts, state agencies using them in e-mail blasts, state agencies putting out media with THP in it, etc. THP wasn't doing that out of the kindness of their heart.

As more people realized something was going on and began to have the public lands near them personally affected due to the "hot spotting", concerned hunters started reaching out to Game and Fish agencies looking for answers. Sometimes it just took a bunch of pestering with e-mails, other times it took information requests. In two instances, (TN and GA) the agency's marketing coordinator responded back confirming they were in partnership and paying THP.

I've personally hounded one agency and not been able to get an answer. The fact they refuse to acknowledge my question lets me know they very like paid THP too.

Correct on the marketing department paying the influencers. And it seems like the actual Game and Fish biologists/employees aren't even aware of it in many cases. Poor communication.

And there is a permitting process to commercially film on some public lands (mostly federal) and wilderness areas. That is where Randy Newberg is an outlier, he is one of the few that do it correctly and spend the $$$ for the permit! A lot of illegally filmed commercial hunts out there by the YouTubers and influencers.
Yeah after I replied I kept scanning! I still think an average guy can pick up good info from them. Sucks those areas are losing hunting opportunities and THP should be more careful about posting locations. Although in the states they were paid I kinda look at it like they were doing their job that the agency paid them to do. They were paid to hunt public and recruit other hunters to it which they did. Sounds like if the resident hunters are not happy they need to vote those commissioners out or figure out a way to get those policies retracted. But then again my public land deer hunting sucks anyways so I don't have a dog in the fight!

imo It sucks if your area was blown up by tv exposure, but it’s obviously a fad that will pass and will be beneficial in the long run to hunting in general. The more mainstream exposure that hunting gets as an acceptable thing just puts more importance on protecting hunting for the future. Once new people try it for a couple years only a few that took to it will remain. Kicking the can down the road more or less, but better than sliding into obscurity. I look at it similarly to the current camping fad, it sucks that campgrounds that we used to be able to just show up to now have 6mo+ reservations, but I anticipate a ton of used trailers and sprinter vans on the market in the next couple years when that “good” idea sparked from Instagram turned into work most don’t feel like getting off their couch for and then there’s a bunch of newly refurbished campgrounds for the taking. I could just be being optimistic though…

OP
R

Rokbar

WKR
Back on topic i got to really give it to these guys for their style of hunting. I really enjoy just watching the rut episodes. For them to be as young as they seem, they are quite the experienced hunters. I find it amazing how a few of them are so aggressive in calling and going after mature bucks. It has truly changed the way i'll hunt whitetails. I sort of see some points of some of you feel about their blowing up public areas??? But, they are public areas. Public area's will get more and more pressure as the population grows. But, the big bucks will MOST always go untouched!! I just wish that one guy would get a haircut?!!?!?!?!?!