The Hunting Public

I fell down the rabbit hole of watching their 2018 deer tour (again) last night. Anyone ever tried any of their unorthodox tactics and used them to for any personal success?

MinixJT

FNG
I've not tried them. I gotta say though that they're probably my favorite whitetail show to watch

OP
C
I've not tried them. I gotta say though that they're probably my favorite whitetail show to watch

I just love the realism of it. I can go do what these dudes are doing with a few hundred bucks in my pocket. Really great concept. Between them and Wired to Hunt, I am really enjoying much of the new age media being produced.

I’ve learned a ton watching their videos. My terrain is not the same as theirs but in general setting up in marginal trees close to bedding cover and away from pressure helped me kill my biggest whitetail yet, and had close calls with big deer I never would have seen otherwise.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been watching the turkey tour to get ready for turkey season. When I saw them driving around with a roll of toilet paper on the dashboard of their truck, I knew this was a show for me.

What “unorthodox” tactics are you talking about? I’ve watched a few of the deer tour episodes but not enough to know what you’re referring to.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Allowing mature bucks to wind you as a scouting tactic. Wearing Ghille Suits and ground hunting with a bow.
I started hunting on the ground after the "buck nest" with midwest whitetail. Its a blast but you gotta have a good location for it

MinixJT

FNG
I just love the realism of it. I can go do what these dudes are doing with a few hundred bucks in my pocket. Really great concept. Between them and Wired to Hunt, I am really enjoying much of the new age media being produced.
Indeed ! Probably $1000 would be their whole set up/clothes sans bow

They definitely go against the 1500 ac-of-private-managed-land-sitting- in-redneck-box -blind grain....

Very much have enjoyed their content. Very Little sponsorship nonsense, just regular guys getting after it on public land

Btaylor

WKR
A big portion of their tactics arent readily applicable here but that is due to differences in habitat hunted. I enjoy the show but skip pretty much all of the gun hunting stuff cause I dont gun hunt and dont have any interest in watching it. That's not just there show though, it's pretty much any whitetail gun hunt show.

Randy, I will watch some of your gun hunts just to see what kind of suck fest is going to ensue getting a critter out of the woods. LOL

vanish

WKR
My favorite "eastern" show, as well.

Ran into Zach one evening and had an excellent 20 minute chat. Super nice guy.

MIedge

FNG
They're the best whitetail content out there right now, super relatable and they keep things fun which is something that I think is lacking in a lot of shows today. Their mouse hunts in the house had me rolling.

I haven't tried their wind bump strategy but I plan on ordering a guillie suit in the near future to experiment with that. THP guys are super good at hunting hot sign when it is hot and they do that by employing a lot of in-season scouting. That's something I have to get way better at and I'm hoping the guillie suit helps me have more encounters / experience new things like them.

On another note, they do things the RIGHT way with regards to legal matters. Anyone who saw the episode where Ted tagged his Missouri fatty knows what I'm talking about.

On another note, they do things the RIGHT way with regards to legal matters. Anyone who saw the episode where Ted tagged his Missouri fatty knows what I'm talking about.

yep.. when I watched that I kept thinking "how easy would it be for those guys to drag that deer 20yds across the property line and do the grip-n-grin on the public he shot it on." I've never had that happen where I could see my deceased animal just across the permissible line but that must be a test of one's character.

Lou2

FNG
that was a tense moment, impressed with their restraint on that recovery. love their turkey tours as well. great ambassadors for public land use

elkyinzer

WKR
THP is great because of their personalities, just down to earth guys. I don't really consider many of their tactics unorthodox. We've been wind bumping and hunting beds since I started hunting but they are certainly in vogue tactics these days and refreshingly better portrayals of real whitetail hunting than the TV foodplot ozonic scentlok box blind shit.

Check out a group called The Untamed too. Along with THP those two are the only youtubers I feel titillating enough to pretty much follow along with. And neither have god awful, close that tab as fast as you can techno music!

I was never into whitetails, even when I lived in Iowa. These guys inspired me to make a run at the whitetails, on the ground, bow in hand. I didn't punch a tag but I had a lot of fun.

I see all the opportunity I missed while waiting for a couple decent days of duck hunting each season. That and the big bucks I would glass while out scouting cornfields for geese...