The "if you were retired today" thread

Button

WKR
I like my job. But it’s stil a job. If I did not have to work I would probably be sleeping right now.
When not sleeping I would be piddle fuc%ing around with projects, camping/fishing/hunting/gardening and playing at a lot of backgammon tournaments. Ideally retire far away from the cancerous growths on the earth called cities. Luckily I am building a house far from those montrose grey blobs on google earth that people call home. Hopefully it stays rural long enough until I retire. Then sell for profit, and escape back to paradise.

Fullfan

WKR
Don't wish your life away. I retired 7 years ago at 49 after 25 years . Spent 5 years doing what ever I wanted to.
Found myself with no sense of purpose. All my friends still worked, so I decided to go back part time on my own schedule. Retirement is not what everyone believes it to be.

Don't wish your life away. I retired 7 years ago at 49 after 25 years . Spent 5 years doing what ever I wanted to.
Found myself with no sense of purpose. All my friends still worked, so I decided to go back part time on my own schedule. Retirement is not what everyone believes it to be.

That sounds like some true words of wisdom right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Money/health will be my determining factor. Funny how that weighs heavier as the you get closer to the bell ring. Staying fit and loosing financial burdens and at least having a plan even if it changes here and there. Would really like to compete in nrl and the like and setting up in the 5th wheel and enjoying.

mbv3

FNG
I'd be taking my family all over to explore this beautiful country (well, at least the parts of it that have elk....)

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
My works been on a on call basis lately. I’ll be retired on the 30th of this month.
I’ll be 55 and have 33 years in. I told them 2 months ago I’m taking off Aug. 28th to scout for elk and start bowhunting on Sept.1st and don’t expect me back.
First time on a western hunt, truck camping and loving it. I could go back and work no more than 40 hrs/mth starting Nov. if needed. Not sure about that yet.
Start some week long vacations with the wife and kids.

I am retired since 2012… I have 5 guitars in the shop I have to fix. Then I have to finish staining my deck. Then I have to set a 30’ 10 x 18 beam and redo the railings and decking on a friends deck. Then I have to rebuild my kitchen cabinets, and replace the carpet in the living room with a pergo type floor. Somewhere in there I have to finish working up a load for my ‘06 and get gear and food packed for a a muley drop camp and then an elk back pack trip. I don’t know how i ever found time for a job, but I had one for 36 years.

cnelk

WKR

^^^ No truer words spoken.

Even with all of my hobbies and interests, my plan after I retired last year was to start my own handyman business.

I did that and work 2-3 days a week, then putter around my place the rest of the time. Fish & hunt when the urge hits.

EastMT

WKR
I don’t know that I will retire, my wife says when I’m off work for more than 3 days i prowl haha.

I worked a job on the slope where I would get laid off May-July 15, Oct-Nov until ice road season for a couple seasons. It’s fun for about the first 2 weeks, get caught up on projects, maybe blow some money you earned for a tough season.

I do plan on retiring and RV’ing to Alaska in summers, back south when it gets cold, maybe real far south for winter. Not sure yet but I think maybe 2 years of this and I’ll be ready to work again, but I do want to have nowhere to be for a little bit, fish every creek I run into just to see what’s there.

This is why I say plan for retirement but don’t live for retirement. You may hate it, worked your entire life planning and skipping things you always
Wanted to do, and now many of them you may not be as capable.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on adding more bee hives to my apiary, hunting and fishing more. I'll probably try to find a part time job that is pretty enjoyable and stress free. The money won't be important at that point. If I were retired at this very moment I'd be in Colorado elk hunting.

If I was retired today I’d have the cold bow challenge done, start planting a garden, and then fish this afternoon. Instead I’m talking with farmers about chemical and selling fertilizer out of a mega plant.

Yoder

WKR
If I was retired, I would be to old and broken to do all of the things I dreamed about doing when I was young.