The "if you were retired today" thread

legend921

FNG
Hit the gym up more, hang with the kids traveling around, mess around with some daytrading, and spend more time in the woods and on the lake.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Working a job does seem to be a complete waste of my life.
Grass needs cutting.
Need to finish some bed liner work on my Landcruiser.
Everything needs an oil change.
Need to finish preparing my winter garden spot.
Wife wants me to do some landscape work.
Got a burn pile that needs burning.
Need to finish putting some knobs on my MIL's cabinets.
Need to get my gheenoe and my son out in the swamps as the temps start to moderate.
Then there's this new surf fishing hobby I've started.
Just ordered a Crosman 1322 Pellet pistol, cant wait to start modding up that thing. Might have to hunt with it some.

etc, etc,etc...............

jb1842

FNG
Retired in early 40's. Made pancakes for the kid and a couple neighbor kids this morning. Just sitting down after mowing the lawn. Maybe clean the house a little before going to a preschool meeting tonight then dinner/drinks with some other parents after.

archp625

WKR
I would be with my buddy chasing lopes in south east Idaho right now. But if was just another day I would probably be at the boat ramp getting off the water after chasing crappie and or walleye.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
Probably would have worked horses before it got hot. Tinker with taxidermy, livestock, or garden after that. Maybe drive to Alaska for the month of September...

Now I have to get back to designing the site for this Fueling Station...

Lowg08

WKR
I would be taking a nap, then wondering around sportsman warehouse aimlessly pack for a archery hunt take a nap.

rideold

WKR
Retired....I've a list of things in my head that I would spend more time on. Tend the small vineyard I have more, make some improvements around the house....the kind that make the place nicer rather than the ones I do now to keep it functional, hike and hunt enough that I'd be in better shape retired than I am working. I'd shoot my bow at the range twice a week instead of the daily practice in the basement I do now. Find places in the woods to sit and watch everything going on would be a nice way to spend some time! Make great meals and experiment with new ingredients and dishes. Bake all kinds of bread instead of the weekly standard loaf I've been doing for the last 15 years. In the meantime I'll get back to my day job which I like enough to keep doing until the balance between money and time tips over and I tell the boss I'm done. Maybe in 5 more years....

Afhunter1

WKR
If I was retired, I'd really like to take a trip to Vegas and hopefully not remember any of it. Ha Ha Ha.

Then I'd go archery elk hunting.

But here I sit at a computer surfing Rokslide instead, work sucks!

I would throw this computer and my cell phone in the trash. I might get a burner phone in case of emergencies.

If I was retired I'd be living in Wyoming waiting for September to come.

Instead I'm sitting here in my office trying to stay focused on work, but obviously I'm not doing a good job.

cnelk

WKR
I am retired. I pulled up my camper and checked trail cams today. All set for next Thursday

Q child

WKR
I can't wait to retire. Like the original poster, I would be doing various projects well on my time. During my free time I'm building a shed for my barbeque grill right now - could have it done in one day if I were retired. Also I'd be hunting and fishing a lot of days. It's Coho season here.

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
So many of the retirees that I talk to in my line of work miss the job to some degree once they leave. The skills you work hard to obtain, the friendships you have at work. I don’t doubt that retirement is nice, but I also think that you should like, if not love, your job.

I have worked jobs that I hated. Going to work on Monday was absolutely dreadful. Switched careers, better money, much better schedule, more gratifying work. I honestly look forward to going to work now and my only regret is that I didn’t make this change earlier in life. Point being, is that while it’s nice to day dream about the future there is a lot that can be done right now.

manitou1

WKR
I retired March 1st of this year.
This morning I got up at about 07:30, went outside and visited with the crew pouring our porches. Poured a cup of coffee and walked about 400 yds to the neighbors and visited with the neighbor for a bit. Came back and fixed hash browns and eggs.
Will shoot my bow for a bit, then go for a hike and scout for mule deer, then drive over to another spot to look for an archery ambush spot for antelope for my buddy and I.
Will return home in time to visit with wife, who works nights, before she leaves.
I will then probably go glassing for deer again and then come home and water the trees, flowers before watching a little tube and going to bed.

Geewhiz

WKR
This morning I got up at about 07:30, went outside and visited with the crew pouring our porches. Poured a cup of coffee and walked about 400 yds to the neighbors and visited with the neighbor for a bit. Came back and fixed hash browns and eggs.
Will shoot my bow for a bit, then go for a hike and scout for mule deer, then drive over to another spot to look for an archery ambush spot for antelope for my buddy and I.
Will return home in time to visit with wife, who works nights, before she leaves.
I will then probably go glassing for deer again and then come home and water the trees, flowers before watching a little tube and going to bed.
Sounds miserable... ;)

OP
Dos Perros

That. Sounds. FANTASTIC.