The itch for a new rifle - what caliber to get?

I have an itch to get a new rifle. I am trying to decide which caliber to get. I have 7mm and a 30/06 already. What would be a good caliber to look at next to round out my collection? This rifle would be for midwest whitetails and hunting out west for mule deer, antelope, and elk if possible. I was thinking maybe a 308 but worried that its so close in performance to the 30/06. I am left handed so I have limited rifle choices too which makes selection more difficult. I will likly go with a Tikka as I have had good luck in the past with them. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your 7mm and 3006 are already pretty close. I have both as well and sometimes spend hours trying to tell the “real difference” between their ballistic charts. They not have killed everything I have shot with them so there is no difference there and I don’t shoot past 500 so there isn’t a big difference there either.

I second the .243 or .223 or something similar. The other option would be to go the other direction to a 338 or 30-378.

If you ask yourself what you want to use the new rifle for that should help you answer your own question.

Yeah-as mentioned you have 2 similar rounds already. For diversification I would be looking in the 24/25 caliber range or the 33 caliber range.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
Go bigger or smaller.
25-06 or 257 Wby would be great for Antelope and Mulies.
338 Win, 340 Wby, 33 Nosler would be great for elk.

Find ammo or components then buy rifle (in today's conditions)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
T
I have a few in .223 already. I do like the idea of a .243 though. What about a 6.5 creedmoor? I rarely shoot past 300 yards so I don’t need anything too crazy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always had bigger calibers for elk and deer, but tried the 6.5 CM a few years ago and then got a .270 Win. I like the .270 so much that I sold the 6.5. I'll probably pick up another .270 at some point as well.

OP
T
Part of what is drawing me towards the 308 and the 6.5 creedmoor is ammo availability in these times. It seems these are alot easier to find. I like that the creedmoor is flat shooting too but for how far I shoot I doubt I will notice a difference in most calibers.

Persimmon

FNG
Got to be 308 right now just went down that road and that was the only ammo really out there, and not a great selection of that even.

I’ll play. Go smaller or larger like others have said.

On the smaller side, grab a 257 Weatherby.

On the larger side, grab a 325 WSM. Be different.

But there is nothing wrong with a 6.5 CM. Easy on the shoulder, great ammo selection, etc.

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having a custom 6.5 creed chambered and mated, it's only my 2nd rifle. Will b for whitetail mostly, we own power line property and for being in PA I can shoot father than my skill allows. So went w 6.5 in short barrel to shoot deer at 500yrds. Next gun will b a bigger caliber for out west elk hunting, I personally feel better stepping up to 7mm or more for elk sz game, but I have a sako 85 in 30-06 I could use. Was my first rifle I bought 20 some yrs ago. My builds gonna take 6mos so start the crazy timer. Putting it on an XLR 4.0 magnesium collapsible chassis, barrel threaded for muzzle break and or a can.

Last edited:

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
6.5creedmoor in the Tikka you mentioned would be a great lightweight little setup to compliment your other rifles. More fun to shoot all day out practicing in the off season too.

As others have mentioned, go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I shot a .270 Winchester for about 15 years. I bought the 6.5 for a rifle for my sister and girlfriend to use. Something that wasn’t so hard hitting. It turned out to be such a nice fun gun to shoot, I wanted to carry it!

Which 7mm do you currently own?