The itch for a new rifle - what caliber to get?

elkguide

WKR
Any of the above mentioned calibers will do just fine.
As I tell my wife when she asks "how many more rifles do I need?" The answer is..... "1 MORE!"

So with that thought in mind, and from my many years of elk hunting and guiding, when I head out hunting, especially elk, I grab a .300 Win Mag. I have a few rifles in that caliber and I use that caliber on everything from coyotes to elk.

OP
T
My 7mm is a Tikka. By far my favorite rifle. I think I am going to go with the 6.5 creed moor in a Tikka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
For a light cal. I would go .243, they don't kick much and are fun to plink around with but still leagle to hunt with.. Rounds are relatively easy to find and don't break the bank like some of the more popular rounds that are in style right now. Me and my wife are both lefthanded so I feel your pain.

If you want to get into some long range shooting you could size up to a 300 RUM, 30-378 Wby Mag, or 300 prc, all great long distance guns... you'll want to invest in a muzzle brake though. 300 win mag is pretty common big caliber too, killed a buck at 800 with one.

Fordguy

WKR
If you plan on hunting whitetails in the "Midwest" you might want to consider a .350 legend or
.450 bushmaster- since there are several states with a straight wall cartridge restriction and max cartridge length. 300 yards might be stretching it a little for the 350 with factory ammo, but I think there are some hotter/faster options available for both 450 and 350.

6mm Creedmoor would be much different than what you have and ammo is easy to find. Ruger predator maybe

Jjmayes83

FNG
I love my 6.5 Creedmoor I love my .308s and I love my .243 (ok not gonna lie I love all my guns) but if your area is anything like mine, Theres tons of people that shoot 6.5 so ammo not always easy to get, So if this is an option for you just look around and see whats availableon a regular basis. .308 is everywhere but its kinda similar to your other calibers. And seeing as you said you don't shoot past 300 yards a .243 is a great round, Easy to find, cheap to shoot (comparatively), and very easy on your shoulder. But in the end for me if I was looking for somethong different then I have and ammo is no issue the 6.5 Creedmoor would be my choice. I own this rifle in 308 and absolutely love it and it comes left handed and in 6.5. https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57713

Jjmayes83

FNG
6.8 western or 6.5 prc would complement your 7mm and 30 cal.
I could be wrong, But from alot of reading and chatting with other like minded americans and (non Americans) you gotta be careful with some of the 6 mm rounds they like to eat barrels quicker the most. I know for sure the 6.5 prc has about half the barrel life of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Depending on how much you shoot, Or whether you care about replacing a barrel. Might want to do some research on other 6 mm rounds. Fantastic ballistics on 6.5 prc but that super hot round burns barrels

12wander

FNG
I agree with the 6.8 Western or the 6.5 PRC and would lean more towards the 6.8 because it will shoot the heavier bullets needed for elk, moose, and Bear. The average shooter/hunter will not shoot enough to come close at burning out a barrel.

Jjmayes83

FNG
I agree with the 6.8 Western or the 6.5 PRC and would lean more towards the 6.8 because it will shoot the heavier bullets needed for elk, moose, and Bear. The average shooter/hunter will not shoot enough to come close at burning out a barrel.
I agree. But there are alot who do shoot more then average, like me for example, before I baught some past purchases I wish I would of had certain information it would of changed some decisions for me thats all I'm saying. A little heads up never hurt.

I have an itch to get a new rifle. …….What would be a good caliber to look at next to round out my collection? …… I am left handed so I have limited rifle choices too which makes selection more difficult. ……..Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got that same itch also just over a year ago, and the itch leaned towards something a little different than most standard calibers. Settled on and committed to a 6.5-284 Norma of which has been on an extended back order, and I’m patiently waiting. Pretty much most all of the “reading up” I have done on the 6.5-284 is positive and encouraging. Ammo availability is about par for current supply chain but admittedly not common on big box sports retail shelves, plenty of established reloading data for a variety of popular 6.5 bullets, and several manufacturers chamber it.

Finally, I too shoot left handed but gladly own & shoot RH rifles. I have 1 LH & 3 RH, and the new 6.5-284 will be RH. Good luck.

I just ordered a Weather Mark V in 280 AI. It's really similar to the 7mm Mag though. How about something like 6.5 PRC, 25-06 or 6.5-300? My elk guide last year said the 6.5 Creedmoor was weak on elk ymmv. The Creedmoor was really designed for competition not for hunting although I am sure it is a great deer cartridge. I loved my .260 for antelope and deer.

I don't own one, but there seems to be a lot of 6.8 Western on the shelf. I like the idea of it being able to shoot larger bullets for elk, mule deer, bear, etc. I think it would be fine for white tail too.

I will probably get one in the near future.