The KeltyFaru Project

Snyd

WKR
Kelty 50th Anniversary Pack bag and a Kifaru Bikini frame.

Got a good start on the KeltyFaru today.

First I made a "pouch" by sewing together two lengths of a ballistic nylon belt I had laying around.

KeltyFaru_001_zpsfb7ad332.jpg

KeltyFaru_002_zpsf39abce6.jpg

Then I ripped out some seams on the bag so I could get underneath the Map Pouch on the bag. This is where I wanted to sew on the frame pouch. I wanted to keep the Map Pouch. It's handy, right behind my head with the pack on. I removed some old straps that were part of the previous shoulder strap system.

KeltyFaru_003_zps3b353833.jpg

KeltyFaru_004_zps77745f86.jpg

I sewed the pouch in, trimmed off some of the old Map Pouch which was also the old "pouch" that slipped over the old frame. Sewed the seams back up and ended up with this. So far so good.

KeltyFaru_009_zpsabd759d3.jpg

KeltyFaru_010_zps449fb5b4.jpg

I began work on some of the straps/buckles that go from the belt to the bag and called it a day. That's the next step. But first I had to stuff the bag and stand it up for a photo-op.:D

KeltyFaru_017_zps3eed6c8e.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well done Snyd, that turned out quite well....would like to see it in person sometime!!! Job well done indeed.

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
A few more pics. I've been working on Delta strap attachment points and a couple others. No pics yet.

From top down
KeltyFaru_008_zpsd1f54b7f.jpg

The old workhorse....

singer_zpsbb114e53.jpg

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Well the KeltyFaru is done. I'm just waiting on my small belt from Kifaru. We had a communication breakdown of sorts but Kifaru is taking care of it and my small belt should be here by the 10th. Kudos to Kifaru. In the pics you can see the attachment points for the Delta Straps that come off the belt.

I'm holding it suspended here.
file_zps7dbfb9c5.jpg

You can see the Delta Strap attachment points. The bag already had the upper ones. I had to sew on a wider strap adjuster and add the bottom ones.
file_zps637f8ba4.jpg

I sewed a strap to the black webbing and brought it up through the seam to attach to the frame. The 2 stitche just hold it to the bag but the main anchor points are on the webbing that the Delta strap attached to as well. It runs the circumference of the bag. I then wrapped the straps around the frame and secured them with a slider. At this point I have left them long and hooked them to the strap adusters on the frame just cuz I can.

file_zps42247dd8.jpg

file_zps0745970e.jpg

file_zpseb3d7fbf.jpg

file_zpsb4ca0c00.jpg

The bottom compression straps on the bag slip right up through loops on the bottom of the frame. Probably not needed but it does help suck the bag up.

file_zps9224c86d.jpg

file_zps67d7fa6f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Compression straps used to have these "T-Bars" on them. I cut em off and just sewed the straps on.

file_zpsfb3f9ad3.jpg

I cut some slits to allow the loops on the top of the frame to be inside the bag as attachment points for a water bladder, hanging meat bag, etc. The bag also as a big internal pouch that is meant for a bladder. I may cut that strap off, I don't think I'll need it now with the frame loops.

file_zps508c2d0d.jpg

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
I snapped some pics of the features of the bag cuz I like it so much. Maybe it's cuz I'm used to it and have been using it for years sheep hunting. It kinda has some sentimental value :)

file_zpsd9994320.jpg

file_zps4ce8ae96.jpg

file_zps78f16416.jpg

file_zpsb39568d4.jpg

file_zps6a8326e9.jpg

file_zpsabff9175.jpg

file_zps4b53e2f6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Empty pack all cinched up with all 3 pouches attached.

file_zps44046d27.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great work Snyd, you got some serious skills there for sure! Turned out great...any ideas on the final weight with the frame bag combined, I realize the waistbelt isn't on there yet, but just curious.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just helped a guy build a "KifaruRanch" over the phone last week. His took A LOT of extra sewing too, but it sounds like he's gotten it to work.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A bikini frame and 7500 bag.

I know a couple people tried it that already had 7500 bags, but did not like the Nice frame. Out of the two guys, one accomplished it, but dumped 20 hours of his own time into making it work. He had to cut out the internal frame on the 7500, the sleeve the nice frame slides into, and then sew on a new sleeve.
Aron, out of curiosity, what did he put together from Kifaru/MR?

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Great work Snyd, you got some serious skills there for sure! Turned out great...any ideas on the final weight with the frame bag combined, I realize the waistbelt isn't on there yet, but just curious.

Ya it turned out pretty good I think. I've weighed everything and it's 6lbs maxed out.

Bikini Frame with belt, Main Bag and all 3 pouches- 5lbs 12ozs
Bikini Frame with belt, Main Bag and 2 Long pouches 5lbs 5ozs
Bikini Frame with belt is 2lbs 5ozs - 1lb 11ozs without.

Gunslinger rifle holder is 4 ozs. Not shown in pics.

I havent messed with it yet. Might go a different route but if I go with it like I've done and go with the 2 long pouches only I'm at 5lbs 9ozs for 7200 cubes. 6lbs with adding the wet mesh pouch. I might be able to trim some straps and buckles at some point but not just yet. 6lbs all up is great as far as I'm concerned.

Next project is some type of hanging food/meat bag.

Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A bikini frame and 7500 bag.

I know a couple people tried it that already had 7500 bags, but did not like the Nice frame. Out of the two guys, one accomplished it, but dumped 20 hours of his own time into making it work. He had to cut out the internal frame on the 7500, the sleeve the nice frame slides into, and then sew on a new sleeve.

I was wondering if you would have to cut the whole frame portion out. I really like the MR bag set up, so I could see how somebody could get attached.