The KeltyFaru Project

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just helped a guy build a "KifaruRanch" over the phone last week. His took A LOT of extra sewing too, but it sounds like he's gotten it to work.
Interesting.. Thoughts on what it may take a to match an ICON pack Bag to a Bikini Frame?

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
These Kifaru frames (Duplex and Bikini) have so many attachment points and with the top crossmember on the Bikini they seem to me to be the perfect frame/harness for a Frankenstein Project. Just study pics of how Kifaru attaches bags and apply the same principals. Then do some testing and adjust as needed. Don't hack up the frame attachments and that way if it doesn't work out a guy can always buy a Kifaru bag. That's my plan/thought anyway

I got my small belt from Kifaru last week and took the the KeltyFaru out for it maiden voyage. Total pack weight was 51lbs. I hiked for 1.5 hrs non-stop up and down and it felt great. Load was stable. I did get some barreling of the bag against my back so I added a section of zig-zag strap between the frame stays and problem solved.

Went on a 15 mile day hike saturday with about 35 lbs. Not much altitude gain but some, 2700 up and back down and of course the pack worked great.

Over the next few weeks I'll be bumping up the weight heading towards 85-100lbs or so for some sheep shape training and see how my design and sewing job holds up. That's the weak link in this whole project. The frame and the bag can handle it.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Snyd--
Love the FrankenPack! How did it work out over the hunting season? Since reading this, I have been investigating the possibilities of Dyneema, and possibly sewing my own MR CrewCab-esque Pack for my frieghter frame. Very inspirational. Hope it worked well, and serves you well for years to come!
Colby Jack