The Last Hunt

cnelk

WKR
I’ve been fortunate to hunt many things over the years.

One thing I’ve often thought about is what would I hunt if it knew it would be my last?

I’ve narrowed it down to two:

1) Walking old forest roads in the upper Midwest west hunting partridge in October. Carrying my old Winchester 20ga.

2) Sitting in a WT deer stand, listening for the rustle of leaves of a nearby deer, hoping for a shot.

What would your ‘Last Hunt’ be?

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
In the blind with my kids during youth season to see them get a velvet whitetail. Youth season is early enough they could get one.

Hunting behind one of my springers as they quarter across a field of khaki knee high grass. It will always be my happy place.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After finally getting my moose and sheep tags out of the way, I feel like I can finally just kick back and relax a bit every September elk hunting season from here on out. But my last will hopefully be chasing big bulls during the rut. I've been chasing elk for a long time now and I can't imagine anything I'd like more than that as a last hunt.

It seems like when you ask someone the hypothetical question of what their death row "Last Meal" choice would be prior to execution, the answer is usually the same as if you just asked a person what their favorite dish is. So if I had one hunt left before I was to be executed, I suppose I would grab the ol' .30-30 and find some ruttin' Muleys in November.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I imagine for a lot of us, it’s not so much the “what” as it is the “who” that really would be most important. Probably be my son and a few good buddies somewhere in the mountains. Sheep, goat, bou, moose, grizz, whatever. Just the right company is what would matter the most to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn the OP for posting this question! See, I just sat out my first season in several decades as I have been struggling with a few medical issues at the same time. To complicate things, I have 2 different medical insurance coverages, both HMO's; same parent company. My actual primary insurance first told me I did not have coverage with them. After battling with them I finally got them to accept that I do. Unfortunately, they felt they were my secondary insurance. So I just kept using my secondary insurance as if it was my primary, since my efforts to straighten it all out was fruitless. Well last week I had two tests scheduled with my actual secondary insurance that thought it was my primary; a camera in my bladder (oh joy), and a bone marrow biopsy. Unfortunately my actual primary insurance finally got it all figured out, well the parent company of both actually. So unless I wanted to pay a ton of money out of my own pocket, well I found it necessary to cancel those tests and go through the process of getting set up with my actual primary insurance. So I am awaiting having approval of 5 different specialties, so I can see them and have new doctors take over my medical care. Of course the parent company has no interest in helping speed up that process.

In short, I have been wondering if I have something potentially fatal. So I have had some time to think about this, as for me hunting is a passion, not a hobby. I have hunted since childhood in one form or another. Considering that I am 58, going on 59, and my current medical situation, I am feeling the frailty of age and disease. As such, I long for something like a lazy extended float type hunt with an old hunting partner that has lost 50% of one hip bone. At this point in time, I do not long for my traditional physically taxing hunts, but more a lazy hunt with exceptional company. But hey, hopefully I get these tests out of the way soon, very soon, and get negative results, so I know I have a few good years of hard hunting left.

Don't really care what I am hunting...as long as they find me afield with my boots on and gun in my hands..

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
Any hunt with my 5yr old son. He’s been on a caribou hunt at 4, WT hunt at 5. I don’t care what it is, those are the best.

Azone

WKR
Shooting a old roman nosed black tail with family and friends and I would be happy. There’s a lot of bucket list hunts, but that would leave me with grin, as it always has.

ODB

WKR
A 100+lb elephant bull. On his 6th set of teeth, no hair on his tail, sunken temples, two askaris, 450 NE Rigby in my hands, one shot, frontal brain...

that would be the epitome of hunting...

There are a lot if hunts I have not done and would love to. My last hunt I would just want it to be with good friends and family. Maybe in a duck blind. Maybe walking fields for pheasants with a great dog. Or maybe sharing a camp for deer or elk.