The latest "Fur Friendly" .308 load request

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Coyote prices are pretty alright this year, but not alright enough to justify buying another gun prior to it. Looking for advice on a .308 load out of an 18" RAP that won't make a softball sized exit wound. I've pretty much accepted anything I blast won't get top dollar, but looking to do what I can with what I got.

The pipe dream is to have a 400yd or less load that dumps all its energy into Wile. E. Current thought is a reduced load with H4895, under Hornady SSTs or a match HP. Playing around with the idea of 125gr or 150-168gr, but don't have any real world data to influence a choice either way. Trying to avoid FMJ. TIA

coyoteman

FNG
I would go as heavy as possible vs. Light. The thought of it staying in the coyote usually doesn't work too well unless it's a straight on shot. Have shot a pile of coyotes with a .243 and going heavy with slow controlled expansion has produced the best results for me. I'd look at a heavy soft point or else a barns TTSX.

OP
Windigo

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
I would go as heavy as possible vs. Light. The thought of it staying in the coyote usually doesn't work too well unless it's a straight on shot. Have shot a pile of coyotes with a .243 and going heavy with slow controlled expansion has produced the best results for me. I'd look at a heavy soft point or else a barns TTSX.

Music to my ears. Like 165 heavy or 180 heavy?

I know you said your trying to avoid FM, but the best fur round for a .308 is a 150fmj.

My rifle loves the American Eagle 150's, and they are very fur friendly.

After that, I'd try elk bullets hoping a coyote wouldn't create enough resistance to make them open up much.

If it helps in your decision, I've used 178g Hornady precision Hunter out of a 24in barreled savage. this year it killed 3 antelope doe all at 200-300yd, 1 mule deer buck at 30yd 1 doe mule deer at 220yd, a cow elk at 380yd, and a coyote at 110yds.

Never had a pass through on anything and couldn't find entry holes very easy. The coyote I shot was a frontal and it just mangled her insides. When I've looked I've always found the bullet intact and perfectly mushroomed. It will shoot sub moa if I do my part out of my Savage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I blasted a coyote with the 178gr Hornady precision hunter in .30-06 last spring. I was expecting it to punch a hole through with minimal expansion. It damn near cut the dog in half. I don't recommend that projectile if fur preservation is a goal.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The only fur friendly .308 load is going to be a FMJ. Even then, you're likely to create a mess. .308 is just not a good option for a predator hunter with ANY interest in fur. Now, the ONE way you can get around this is with shot placement. I do this with bobcats. If I'm over-gunned (i.e. .223 for bobcat) and I want to save fur, I will try to make a frontal or rear shot. Preferably frontal. If you run it the length of the body, rather than cross-wise, you may be able to expend all the energy inside, without an exit. It works for cats and a .223 but I don't know about a .308. FMJ would be my advice and it would need to be a heavy jacket - not something like a Berger. Probably military surplus.

Hunting bullets for a .308 are NOT designed to function like you want in an animal like a coyote. Even the light ones. Unless you're willing to drop WAY down, to something like a .204 or .17, there's not anything that's going to be truly "fur friendly" with any consistency. Even FMJ's will create a mess, either from the jacket peeling off or the bullet tumbling after impact. If these occur, you will mess up fur with a big, powerful bullet. That's why I recommend careful shot placement. Of course head shots work well but, lets face it, they're tough to make in the real world with any consistency.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you can build a .308 pill that is reliably fur friendly you'll be a millionaire and have a book with your name on it sandwiched between John Nosler and Bryan Litz. LOL

Lucci

FNG
Would a copper bullet hold together better than a traditional bullet. Totally spit balling for you and have no idea myself.