The light bulb turned on!

How’s the pup doing? I would say he is right on track for a versatile. Many mature slowly and for a Griff you want to keep it fun. I would really solidify that recall command and make sure he knows to come to you the first time you call. Focusing on that makes the retrieve to hand much easier because it’s just an extension of recall.

Now would be a good time to start working on a solid hold command around the house. Working on recall until it’s automatic in the training field and a good hold command will put you 80 percent of the way there and you may never have to consider a full force fetch program.

Remember these dogs aren’t retrievers. A few sessions a week and if you are getting 3-5 reps of perfection stop for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
My Draht/Griff just really turned on a month or so ago. Right about the same age as your dog. Now he locks up in ANY bird. I’ve noticed Griffs are a little slower to “mature” then my GSP’s.
Here’s my patio pointer locked up on a house sparrow.
6384ec4e3abb1ad5e160ee866180f3ff.jpg

2ski

WKR
If your dog is dropping the bumper and focusing attention other places you should've stopped one toss earlier. If all you get is two retrieves so be it. I started off with two throws and done. The next day two throws and done. I mean for months and months. Two throws and done. Granted I'm a first time trainer as well but it's worked for me to get him bumper crazy. What he's exhibiting seems like something conditioned retrieve would help with. But this winter after the season is over. I had to check cord my griff this spring to have him bring me back birds during training. He's more reliable now.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you for the updates guys. Retrieving is coming along, not where I want him to be yet, but I think its just a maturity thing. We play fetch in the house every day, and I am pushing consistency in "fetch", "here", and "drop". He still wants to keep it sometimes, but he has gotten much better. In the yard, bumper training has also improved, and the frozen rooster (although starting to get a little battered now) retrieving is also improved dramatically.

Oscar is just a really fun dog to watch. The damn dog is either eating, sleeping, or hunting. In the house he hunts flies, spiders, whatever 'prey' presents itself. Outside his first order of business is chasing every bird around the acreage. Once he has the robins and kildeer scattered (more of a territorial instinct I think) his nose is down sniffing every inch of the place, starting with his regular ground squirrel holes and mole trails. Then its butterflies, leopard frogs, and whatever trips his fancy along the edges.

The very interesting thing is that when we collar up, its ALL business. No more f-ing around and his demeanor is completely different and his actions are crisp. 3 months to the opener and I think we'll be ready!

Spindrift

FNG
Thank you for the updates guys. Retrieving is coming along, not where I want him to be yet, but I think its just a maturity thing. We play fetch in the house every day, and I am pushing consistency in "fetch", "here", and "drop". He still wants to keep it sometimes, but he has gotten much better. In the yard, bumper training has also improved, and the frozen rooster (although starting to get a little battered now) retrieving is also improved dramatically.

Oscar is just a really fun dog to watch. The damn dog is either eating, sleeping, or hunting. In the house he hunts flies, spiders, whatever 'prey' presents itself. Outside his first order of business is chasing every bird around the acreage. Once he has the robins and kildeer scattered (more of a territorial instinct I think) his nose is down sniffing every inch of the place, starting with his regular ground squirrel holes and mole trails. Then its butterflies, leopard frogs, and whatever trips his fancy along the edges.

The very interesting thing is that when we collar up, its ALL business. No more f-ing around and his demeanor is completely different and his actions are crisp. 3 months to the opener and I think we'll be ready!

That’s the thing about Griffs…they’re famous for their on/off switch, which makes them the ultimate pointer for folks with families. My two bitches are deadweight indoors. Take them outside and they’re ready to party. Put a collar on them and they’re absolutely full tilt.

Regarding your dog at one, that’s totally normal for a male griff, in my experience. Daily repetition over live birds will certainly expedite it but 8 months to 14 months sounds about right for a male from what I’ve seen.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
That’s the thing about Griffs…they’re famous for their on/off switch, which makes them the ultimate pointer for folks with families. My two bitches are deadweight indoors. Take them outside and they’re ready to party. Put a collar on them and they’re absolutely full tilt.

Regarding your dog at one, that’s totally normal for a male griff, in my experience. Daily repetition over live birds will certainly expedite it but 8 months to 14 months sounds about right for a male from what I’ve seen.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it!