The little scope that could

I must be the outlier but I have a hard time getting a good zero without 16x or better. You all must have better eyes than me.
You're welcome in my camp. I've got pretty good eyes and I'm a fan of magnification. I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

I’d rather watch trace and impacts then know how many strands of hair are in its armpit.

then again some people
BB20A2E6-4F0D-43A3-8BA7-FC4B9A2F6E50.jpeg

case in point

buddy has shot hundreds of animals. easily. Heck we shot 30 goats before 10am one morning.

dyed in the wool 3-15 guy. All about his “glass”

he wouldnt even buy my 3-12 lrhs for 400$ because “12x ain’t enough mate.”

anyways when he came to the states and picks the Barrett for our month long hunt across 3 states and 15 tags last fall. All good a 243 will work.

then it’s time to glass it. The 4.5-18 is just too big. 6x swfa ain’t gonna work for him.
3-12 vs 3-9swfa. Used the 3-9 because of form factor.

punched 9 tags in 3 states, the scope never came off of 6x.
B481EF34-5C1A-45C8-B7C8-A46896D535FF.jpeg

wyosam

WKR
I’ve come to like big glass on rifles I’m not going to carry, but on hunting rifles I’m not carrying all that bulk and weight. I’ve typically used fixed power 6x on hunting rifles, though my current favorite has a 2-10 variable Maven on it. Never found a need for more than 6x at any range I’ll shoot big game at (hard stop at 600, and that would have to be absolutely perfect conditions, with no chance of closing the distance). I’ve never actually found the need to shoot a deer or elk beyond 500 yards, and only a handful beyond 400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Great to see your results... I love my SWFA 6x's. Have one on my T3x in 30-06. For me, it is an ideal 500 yd max set up for big game in open country. I've got the same rifle as you (t3x 6.5) currently wearing a SWFA 3-9. I haven't found a better pair for deer/elk and I've been playing with a bunch of rifles and optics lately.

I suppose a case could be made for FOV vs. zoom. I like FOV, binos included.
While going up in magnification will reduce FOV, it doesn't mean you can't have both. Some scopes offer both very well, if not better. The idea that one has to buy a 6x scope to have great FOV is not true.

Last edited:
I’d rather watch trace and impacts then know how many strands of hair are in its armpit.

then again some people
View attachment 155567

case in point

buddy has shot hundreds of animals. easily. Heck we shot 30 goats before 10am one morning.

dyed in the wool 3-15 guy. All about his “glass”

he wouldnt even buy my 3-12 lrhs for 400$ because “12x ain’t enough mate.”

anyways when he came to the states and picks the Barrett for our month long hunt across 3 states and 15 tags last fall. All good a 243 will work.

then it’s time to glass it. The 4.5-18 is just too big. 6x swfa ain’t gonna work for him.
3-12 vs 3-9swfa. Used the 3-9 because of form factor.

punched 9 tags in 3 states, the scope never came off of 6x.
View attachment 155570
What were the distances on those 9 tags filled?

None over 350..

to be fair outside of a goat culled, haven’t shot anything over 350 or so since spring of 2017 that I can remember.

distance shots don’t give me buck fever. That shaky feeling is why I hunt.

In open terrain I don’t find it difficult to close the gap to inside of 400. Then again we all hunt for different reasons. The thrill of getting within half a mile and dropping an animal I could yell at isn’t for me right now.

When it comes to fixed scopes, if I had to use one, I'd definitely go with a lower power. Probably 6x or 10x depending on intended use and where I'd use it.
I really have no use for a fixed scope when we live in an age of some really fantastic variable scope options. You can have both. 2.5x is great for dense forest or situations that call for a vast FOV with quick engagement and 15x will more than likely be suitable for most long range hunting shots in the field. A scope that can do both well will serve the user well. Hunts are variable, weather is variable, animals are variable, terrain is variable, etc. Why wouldn't I want my scope variable in order to be custom tailored to my hunting situation and to stack the odds in my favor? Then again, to each thier own.

Hey, good shooting @BuckSnort 👍🏻

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks guys.. Really hoping this post wasn't coming off as me just bragging.. More so I was just showing what a well built sub $300 scope can do..

Since I posted this I bought a SWFA 3-9 to try out.. If I like it better the 6x will end up on a 223 I have.. This long range stuff is a blast, I just need to learn to tell the difference between a 5mph wind and a 7mph wind lol

16Bore

WKR
That my friend, is where the rubber meets the road. Everyone is jacked on X’s, BC, and Instagram and forgets that a few mph of wind is a hell of a lot more than “a few mph of wind”

A fella that knows that shit can outshoot the masses with a Tasco and a quarter glued to the elevation dial.

With $15 Corlokts from Walmart to boot.