The Marshmallow test

Beendare

WKR
A bit off beat for this crowd…but interesting none the less.

Those with kids….and/or those that have been suspicious of these “scientific studies” might like this. Spoiler alert, some of these well accepted scientific studies come to the wrong conclusions…good article though.

from the Big Think website, “The Marshmallow test”

HERE

ShakeDown

WKR
Bruce, almost didn’t get past the “Stanford researcher” bit... :)

We have done a similar test with the girls in a lighthearted way. M&M in front of them, told them don’t touch - if they were patient when we got back they could have two. Left the room with phone recording. Both my heathens held out, but it may have been more out of fear of consequences than anything else.

Good luck to the Cards tonight, Irish by a million.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Good luck to the Cards tonight, Irish by a million.
Yeah, we are headed to the game, my son alma mater against my daughters….ND is going to slaughter them.

BG.
of course its not about marshmallows…but some good insight into human nature, environmental and family influences

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
The story I heard was the dad said if you save this m&m you’ll draw interest and get more. When dad came home he laid another down with the other one, then immediately ate them both. As his daughter was bulling up he said “sorry, taxes”.

HbDane

WKR
Is this like the "chubby checker" game?? I didn't read it, looked too long and my beer is almost gone.

Scoot

WKR
Bruce, behavioral researchers study complicated relationships that are multifactorial and typically have relatively smaller effects. Anyone who thinks some scandal was uncovered when findings weren't replicated doesn't understand how the scientific process works very well (and I'm not pointing at you when I say that Bruce).

Some things that we "knew to be true" many decades ago turn out to not be true at all. ... or, they're sort of true, but just not as simple and straightforward as they seemed at first.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I guess the “scan quickly for pertinent information to grasp the concept” (or read the first and last 1/4s) lessons are long forgotten from school…