The Meopta/Nightforce Truth

kct802

FNG
So, when reading reviews and comparisons of Meopta vs the big three, many people acknowledge that while Meopta is not as good at the big three it gets damn close for the money. Of course this leads to discussions about other spotting scopes Meopta produced including the Cabelas Euro line and NightForce. As I have recently been on the search for a good spotter but don't have the bank roll for the big three, I was considering these options. Since I use a NF rifle scope I was tempted to get one of their spotters, so I reached out to ask them what makes their scope different/better than the Meopta line. I was hoping that even though we all know Meopta produces their spotters, that they may have their own coatings or methods that differentiates the models and that the price difference is not for the name alone. Their customer service team responded, saying that their scope and the Meopta are "similar" (duh) and the only difference they could cite was the textured focus adjustment on the NF model (obvious through the pictures, even mentioned it in my email).... I asked if the Meopta 30-60WA eyepiece would fit a NF since they no longer sell one. They said due to the "similarity" of the products that it is likely it would fit but that they could not guarantee.

Their rifle scopes are awesome no doubt. In my experience, dealing with them is not always the easiest but they get the job done. So if you are researching the differences like I was now you don't have to deal with them or people's assumptions. From the horse's mouth the reason theirs costs more is it has their name on it, and it has gnarled focus adjustment. If it is worth it or not is a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a straight Swaro HD spotter and wanted an angled. I got a heck of a deal on a new Meopta S2 and compared it against the Swaro. I tried them in bright sunlight and I tried them at dusk.......and I liked the Meopta better, especially on high power. The clarity was better. So I had no reservations about selling the Swaro's. I've never tried the NF model, but I'm sure it's quite comparable to the S2. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money.

Not to derail your thread, but does Meopta also make Nightforce’s rifle scopes? I was always under the assumption that Nightforce got their components made for them overseas but that they did all assembly and warranty work here in the states. Forgive my ignorance

Beendare

WKR
Good research and commentary KCT.

I compared multiple models of 15x a couple years ago in the field...the Meoptas were as good if not better than the Swaros....at 1/2 the price.

Im blessed to be able to afford whatever I want....but those ^ Meoptas were a no brainer. I might have to pick up one of their scopes for my coyote rifle.

——-

OP
kct802

kct802

FNG
I edited my Original Post. I think there was some confusion. I was only talking about spotting scopes specifically the NF TS 82 model vs the Meopta S2 82. To my knowledge all of Nightforce's rifle scopes are made in house.

OP
kct802

kct802

FNG
The majority of NF scopes are made in Japan.
This may be true. I didn't ask them where the scopes are assembled or the components are sourced because that is not what I was comparing and is not the purpose of this thread.

However, the NF spotters, produced by Meopta, would presumably be produced at Meopta's US or Czech Factory.

As far as NF rifle scopes I can't say, but if they are produced in Japan someone should tell Uncle Sam, because I know snipers in the special operations community use them and regard them highly. If they are good enough for those guys I think they will work for my hunting application.

I believe the Nightforce scopes are made in the LOW facility in Japan. Much like Vortex's Razor line of scopes or a few other manufacturers who get their scopes made in the LOW facility.

I believe the Nightforce scopes are made in the LOW facility in Japan. Much like Vortex's Razor line of scopes or a few other manufacturers who get their scopes made in the LOW facility.
The glass or entire scope? I was under the impression it was just the glass and everything else was made in Idaho

pc3

WKR
NXS line LOW I believe, and most likley the SHV line.

ATACR and Beat etc. US made. Some of the earlier compact NXS's were also made in Idaho.

Things change I havent kept up with it last few years

Years ago a guy whom worked for Nightforce in Idaho came on a pig hunting trip to a property I used to have access too in the Channel Country of QLD. ...was an awesome trip, we shot plenty of large pigs.

We made the majority of components for the Beast when it first came out and I’m not in japan.
I think the SHV is Japan, or else it was before. I'm also not equating the two either. I personally chose a Nightforce for my own purchase yesterday.

slick

WKR
Nightforce needs to work on their reticles

What’s wrong with their reticles?

Im certain that if the SF community had problems with NF’s reticles the company would change them to accommodate that user group over guys that want a BDC or duplex style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneshotGA

FNG
Good to know that about the TS-82. I had read that rumor but wondered about it. Anyone know if the same is true of the TS-80? I just picked one up on sale for just under $1100, which as far as I have been able to tell is at least a couple hundred better than anywhere else right now. Wish I could afford the $3000 spotting scopes but not ready for that just yet.

Reactions: pc3